World Cup

Mel E

We came through Germany 3 weeks' ago, calling in at Berlin for 2 nights and a day of sightseeing. The Camp Site was quite brazen about having increased charges - from 30 June to 15 July all prices were up by between 50% and 80%. Even electric hookup was up 50%! The price list contained a separate column for the World Cup prices and the sign board at the entrance had a screwed on patch that failed to hide the normal prices. The site was not full. Is this reasonable behaviour? Acceptable entrepreneurialism? Or crass profiteering? Or reasonable advance compensation for not winning the tournament?

Guest starspirit
Simple enough to avoid sites like this Mel, I would have thought, and just drive on by? If everyone knew the name of the site we could all make a point of avoiding it whenever we go to germany and vote with our feet as the saying goes.

There are at least a dozen Stellplatz in Berlin most with public transport to the city centre. For interested parties the ADAC Stellplatz Fuhrer ISBN 3-89905-213-7 that's the 2005 edition. It's also available from most ADAC offices in Germany. It's an excellent publication. There are other Stellplatz guides somebody might have the details. Don

Melm is this not just the Keynsian theory of supply and demand in practise. One wonders what the price of accommodation around London will be 2012 do you think that the hotels, boarding houses caravan sites etc will maintain their then current price lists? Docted

Yes, we tried a different site first - it just wasn't there anymore! The are not that many camp sites around Berlin! There may be a few Stellplatz, but we didn't have a guide to them and they were not in our downloaded campsites on TomTom. But the point is, this wasn't unique - they were all doing the same, as a quick chat with some English guys who'd been all round Germany in a rented Rimor proved.

Hey Clive, I've just reaslised, is it the Millau bridge in the background on your picture? I've just seen the best part of the World Cup - and the only bit I've watched - the last penalty shot by Italy! That's been enough for me, perhaps now we can have some normality back!!! Oh, does anyone know where all the England car flags have gone? My husband has a theory that there are thousands of them scattered along the motorways as people have opened their windows to let fresh air in!

Archived