X250 Ducato burnt wiper motor earth pin

Aussieducato

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, this is my first post.

2012 130 multijet Ducato.

Wipers stopped the other day, pulled off connector to wiper motor and found earth pin was burnt. (Will post pic below). Have two questions.

1. Why would this happen ?

2. Does anyone know where the earth wire actually mounts to the chassis for wiper motor ?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers Ben

Compress_20220708_100129_9509.thumb.jpg.ee5d68190a70156a2ea28c8f4e60ae4e.jpg

Hi Ben,

Welcome.

1. Were you using the wipers on speed 2 (fast)? Screen wipers normally take fairly large current (30A fuse) and if the speed is doubled at the higher speed, then the motor current will also be doubled. The heating effect at any bad connection is proportional to the current squared, so four times the heating when current is doubled.

If the connection at the earth pin was previously marginal, then you have the makings of your problem. Another possible source of excessive current flow through the wiper motor could be a faulty chassis earth connection.

2. On my earlier x244 Ducato, the wiper motors are earthed via earth point C010 which is located below the LH headlamp. I suspect that the x250 may be similar in this respect.

Perhaps slightly off topic, concealed corrosion of engine block earth strap on the X250 is a frequent source of problems, and worth replacing. It has been mentioned several times on this forum.

Alan

The main engine to chassis negative 'earth' strap is from gearbox mounting to chassis, under the air filter housing. If never replaced it will be past its best. May be easier to add an additional strap as fixings could be corroded. I don't think problems with this strap would cause overcurrent in the motor circuit.

The burnt pin on the motor connector may be due to moisture or more likely a motor or linkage issue causing over current. Its not unknown for the spindle bearings for the blades to seize up.

https://coastalmotorhomes.co.uk/fiat-ducato-peugeot-boxer-citroen-relay-250-rhd-wiper-linkage-motor-1343896080.html

Mike

mikefitz - 2022-07-08 11:27 AM

Its not unknown for the spindle bearings for the blades to seize up.

Mike

And the main cause for this is the scuttle drain driver side getting blocked allowing water to raise above the wiper drive shaft

Archived