X250 Which OBD code reader ?

Rayjsj

hello,

my daughter bought me a ' Memoscan E480' Diagnostic Fault code reader for Christmas, which I have only just tried, and it doesn't work, comes up with 'Linking error' every time, I have tried (1) connecting it before Key is inserted, and then turning ign. on. then starting the engine (2) Inserting it After ign. key is inserted then turning on. (3) inserting it when ign. is on AND engine is running.

None work, each time it comes up with 'Linking error' after cycling through a link routine. ??

Has anyone 'out there' tried and tested a Code Scanner /resetter that WORKS and what model is it ?

I am looking for a stand alone hand held device, that is hopefully not too expensive AND works on a 2012 X250 Fiat Ducato. Not a 'linked to PC or Smartphone' jobby.

It will just be used for reading a fault code and resetting it, so as to take it out of 'Limp mode'.

This has happened to me several times and so far has always been 'DPF filter blocked' and the advice to give the van a bit of a 'Thrashing' to clear it. Vehicle has a Six speed gearbox, so normally keeping within the speed limit means that the engine rarely goes over 2000 rpm . SO, I need a 'remedy' and that remedy means resetting the fault code, (after checking it of course !) any Ideas ?

I know this has been dicussed before but the search fuction doesn't work too well.

Ray

The best solution is to give a 20 minute thrash every so often, even if it's in third or fourth gear only. These engine a meant to work hard and don't like poodling around at low revs as the catalytic converter doesn't get hot enough to burn the carbon deposits from itself. They have to run almost at red hot condition. That's why they recommend you don't park on dry grass after a high speed run.

As for OBD2 reader I have one I bought off fleabay which links to my laptop.

It would be better to not get the cat' clogged in the first place, as just clearing the code doesn't clear the cause of the fault code, and your cat' could eventually be knackered by soot build up.

Clearing the fault code is not a remedy.

Thanks Peter, but the problem wasn't the cat, but the DPF filter, I am not a 'Thrashy' type of driver,

What I'm looking for is NOT having to pay a Fiat dealer lots of dosh, for clearing an error code and to be able to take it out of 'Limp mode' myself, without having to drive 40 miles to the dealer for him to do it for me.

Surely vehicles should be adaptable to ALL types and styles of driving, or they are 'not fit for purpose' ?

Nowhere in the advertising for the Fiat Ducato does it say, 'You have to give these a good thrashing now and again or it screws up the emission control equipment'.

Oh, and by the way, don't even think of trying to reverse up a steep slope !

Modern vehicles eh ! WHO exactly are they building them for ? 'Cause it doesn't seem to be me, the Mug who paid £50,000 for my one. (rant over)

*-) Ray

They should not be simply clearing the fault code for you, you're likely to end up with a very large bill eventually if that's all they do, this is a widespread problem with many diesel vehicles, you're right of course, not fit for purpose, and one of the reasons I got rid of my diesel Aventis, Google blocked Dpf and see the hits you get. :'(

Perhaps I should Elaborate, they clear the fault code, which removes the 'limp mode', then they say ' 'Yes they seem to do this a lot, you are not driving fast enough ! go and give it a thrashing, I say I don't fancy driving a 7.6 metre Van fast through Pembrokeshire, I wouldn't go far, without a smash.

Anyway, I did as he said, and Blatted it down the Road, a big black cloud of 'Gunk' coming out of the exhaust .....fixed, until the next time.

So, does anyone know of a Scanner/reader as per the original post ? Thanks in advance. Ray

sshortcircuit - 2015-02-15 8:03 PM

I have tried three and all failed. Two were returned and a refund was given for the third but not asked to return. If you are purchasing easier using Amazon with their returns system.[/quote

Thanks for the heads up ? Why do they fail ? is there something 'Out of the ordinary' with the euro 5 Ducato ? Surely the dealers are not the only ones who can reset 'Limp mode' ?

If they are it's time for me to sell it, and get something else. Ray

To get the right solution you first need to understand the problem.

I have a diesel particulate filter on my newish VW Golf. Most newish diesel vehicles have them.

The DPF works by clearing the particles at very high temperatures. It only reaches these temps when the engine has run for awhile at high revolutions. Probably over 3000rpm for at least 15 minutes. Obviously this only starts getting hot after the engine is at normal running temperature.

So: 1 you drive the vehice until you are sure it is at normal running temperature

then 2. you put it in a lower gear and drive for 15minutes at over 3000 revs..

This does not need a high speed and the revs are relatively low so you will not be thrashing the motor.

The above clears the DPF and the fault icon on the instrument panel clears. Once a fault has been sorted then the warning code also clears without needing a code reader.

What I now do with my VW is when I have only used it for a lot of short trips over a few weeks then I do a longer trip or detour via a motorway and run it as above. This works.

If I have not done this then sometimes it only takes 10 minutes at high revs but other times takes 20 minutes. If you do the above you will no longer have a problem.

It is a simple case of understanding how your usage results in the particular problem and driving accordingly.

This crops up from time to time and this link has more info.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/OBD2-Fault-codes/35611/

The one I use works well and clears fault codes although I have yet to have the van go into limp home so I have no idea if will still clear the limp home mode, but for the price I think it is adequate if not impressive even if the price does seem to have risen somewhat.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mbuynow-MaxiScan-MS309-Scanner-Reader/dp/B00F3V9MYG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406803918&sr=8-1&keywords=obdii+code+reader

Update, I ordered The Autel Maxiscan MS309, and it came today, very quickly from Amazon, tested it and It DOES work on the 2012 Fiat Ducato euro 5, connects properly and appears to work OK, of course I have no 'Checks' outstanding, so, none displayed (or cleared) but is seems to behave as it should.

HOWEVER, none of the other 'features' work, can't display Vin no. or mileage or anything else,

So, just for 'Engine Check' lights, displaying the fault, and clearing them.....just what I wanted.

And very cheap & cheerful. Thanks for the answers so far. (ps I have no intention of 'Ignoring' check lights, if it is JUST an 'Emission fault' they will be reset, to see if they come back, BEFORE I change anything) Ray

anyone want a Memoscan E480.....Unwanted Christmas present. ;-)

Glad it worked Ray. I use a Maxiscan MS309 too but was wary of actually recommending it because they are all just Chinese clones now (Autel haven't produced the genuine MS309 for years now..) and it really is pot luck, as you found out with your original one.

And yes, basic fault codes and reset only - no chance of anything deeper working. If you want real control of your vehicle then look at Multiecuscan (http://www.multiecuscan.net/) which, for a price, will let you do anything that the Fiat dealers can do e.g. read out of percentage DPF soot-loading etc..

Joe90 - 2015-02-17 10:12 PM

Here's a real bargain, and really looks the part.................... :D

I'm sure I can get the same for a tenner though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autel-MaxiSys-MS908-Automotive-Diagnostic-System-Scanner-Tool-ODB2-WiFi/400688636550?rt=nc

£3000 ! you have got to be kidding ! I am not a garage, just a 'bod' with another bloody unreliable modern vehicle. Because of 'Euro X' sensors. Spit.

Ray

Archived