X250 eLearn

Robinhood

Having just extracted some details re: removing the seatbelt and associated trim from this "DVD", it occurred to me that other people with an X250 or X290 'van (much of the information is still relevant to the latter), might find it useful. It contains a large amount of maintenance, repair and diagnostic instructions and diagrams for anyone who hasn't seen it before.

It used to be quite a pain obtaining and using this data (downloading in segments, unzipping, burning the contents to a DVD, etc). but anyone with Windows 10 should now find the following fairly easy.

A-- Download the ISO file from where I've deposited it here: (for 21 days only - it should be safe, I've used this site countless times before)

http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=g765aab8a0fe5f26b1000264587d0ebcbf9010e1595

...and store it somewhere on your PC. warning, this is a 640MB download so will take some minutes

This ISO file is essentially a DVD image, which used to have to be burnt to a DVD before it could be used, but Windows 10 now allows you to "mount" such files as a virtual DVD drive (i.e. it appears in file explorer exactly as a DVD in a DVD drive would, even if you don't have such a drive).

====

B-- Once you have downloaded it, right-click with the mouse on the ISO file, and choose the "Mount" option.

You should then see an extra DVD drive appear in file explorer, (your PC will assign a drive letter to it), with the contents of the ISO file now browseable.

====

C-- There is an installation process to complete. If you double-click "start.exe" it will go through that process to add the eLearn viewer to your PC (some of the installation messages are in Italian, panic not).

====

D-- This installation is a one-off process, once it is complete you may double-click the start.exe again (or select "eLearn" from the start menu), and it will launch eLearn.

The initial eLearn screen allows selection of language, and the engine type. Once this is done, you click the Ducato picture, and you're away.

Navigation of all the included data can be an interesting process, best learnt by exploring, but there is an awful lot of use in there.

You may close eLearn via the red "x" on the top line.

The virtual DVD will remain "mounted" until you close the PC down, unless you right-click on the drive in file explorer, and choose "eject".

====

So, for any subsequent use:

1. "Mount" the saved ISO file by the right-click "mount" option as above.

2. Launch eLearn either from the Start Menu or start.exe as above

3. Set the language and engine

4 Click on the Ducato picture

5. Use eLearn to your heart's content

6 Close it by the red "x" on the top line

7 Unmount the virtual drive if you wish by right-clicking the Drive Letter and choosing eject.

I'm not sure how many will be interested, but it's worth a share.

The only issue that I find is that Windows does not always assign the same driver letter to the ISO each time it is mounted, at least on my setup

Because the driver letter assigned at the time of the initial install is saved during the installation process, if the drive letter differs on a subsequent occasion that the ISO is mounted, I find that the viewer (the eLearn program) will not start and asks me to "Inserire CDROM con e dati."

Usually when this happens, I find that unmounting the ISO and remounting it once,or sometimes twice, causes Windows to mount it with the desired drive letter ("I:" on my computer) but I have not been able to find any way to reliably force Windows to use a dedicated drive letter for a virtually mounted drive.

I always ensure that I have no other removable drives mounted before I want to mount eLearn, but Windows still seems to mount it as either I: or N: at random. As I say, if it is mounted as N: I eject it and find that it will mount as I: after a couple of tries at most. Strange, as I always thought the lowest available unreserved drive letter would be chosen, but it seems that is not the case.

It would be nice to find a way to force the drive letter to persist reliably. Possibly a batch script using the "subst" command, but it would need to first mount the ISO and check its currently assigned letter, before substituting it only if it's incorrect, and then launching eLearn. I'm afraid pulling the required information into a script is all a bit beyond my ability!

It's not something I've had a problem with on this m/c, though I do ensure nothing else temporary (such as a USB stick) has grabbed a drive letter.

It is possible to re-assign an existing drive letter in Disk Management, and it should work for a virtual drive. (i.e. if it gets mounted as "N", a quick dip into disk management (run as admin) should allow you to adjust it to "I", always assuming that is not in use).

By the time I've logged in as Admin and waited for the snap-in console to open, it's just as easy to eject and remount the drive with a couple of mouse clicks though.

I'd really like to find a more permanent method. I know it's not much in the great scheme of things, but it's just one of those little things that grates every time it happens!

witzend - 2020-07-09 10:15 AM

Deneb - 2020-07-07 10:35 PM

Thank you. I'll take a look at that :-)

May be easier to download it free off the Fiat Forums web site

https://www.fiatforum.com/downloads.php

WinCDEmu (to which my post refers) isn't available on the Fiat Forum.

Although eLearn is hosted there, you have to download 7 separate RAR files, extract and assemble them, then burn them to disc, which is what Robin's upload of the full assembled single file aims to prevent.

Invariably, whenever posters are recommended to download eLearn from the Fiat Forum, they return with problems assembling the various file parts and trying to get it to work.

Thanks again, Robin. WinCDEmu works as it says :)

It's always been an option, but then you have to create a Userid on the Fiat forum, do multiple downloads of file segments, and have the ability to decompress .rar files (which I think still isn't supported natively in Windows). That means a download of yet another piece of software to achieve that.

The temporary link I've placed above simply delivers the ISO file in its immediately useable format, without any of that hassle (which looks rather "easier" to me ;-) )

YMMV.

witzend - 2020-07-11 10:51 PM

Well mine came from there as a PDF straight download but its here to view on line or download free

https://cardiagn.com/2006-fiat-ducato-training-academy-online/

That's not eLearn. It's an introductory training manual intended to give Fiat technicians an overview of the new X250 when it was launched. It doesn't contain repair procedures or wiring diagrams etc, although it is useful for basic system descriptions.

Deneb - 2020-07-11 11:25 PM

that's not eLearn. It's an introductory training manual intended to give Fiat technicians an overview of the new X250 when it was launched. It doesn't contain repair procedures or wiring diagrams etc, although it is useful for basic system descriptions.

Didn't spend much time looking just saw the title, so Wonder where my Elearn came from then was sure it was the Fiat Forum as a pdf I keep it on a usb stick in the van with a netbook with ECU scan installed

This might help anyone with a x290 https://www.fiatforum.com/downloads.php?do=download&downloadid=550

For avoidance of doubt, there are at least three useful manuals available as downloads (all of which have been referenced on the forum at some time).

There are two X/250 training manuals, and an X/290 "Converters and Upfitters" manual, all available in PDF form, and the latter in particular useful for certain items specific to base vehicles destined for conversion (such as motorhome chassis).

The eLearn system is a "DVD", with it's own viewer, which contains detailed information on, for example, the diagnosis, dismantling and reassembly, torque settings, etc. for many/most of the maintenance and repair processes a garage might need. It contains a wealth of information across all the variants of the X/250, and much of it remains valid for the X/290. Downloaded and installed as above, it sits on a PC and doesn't need a DVD drive to be referenced.

witzend - 2020-07-12 9:49 AM

Found this link to pdf this morning it's possible to down load direct if you don't use dropbox from the arrow on top line

https://tinyurl.com/ycccrk9k

eLearn isn't a PDF document, it's an ISO disc image that runs it's own dedicated viewer as Robin says.

The manual you've linked to I already have a copy of. It is a Citroen Relay workshop manual and whilst it does have some uses for the body, suspension, etc. on a Ducato, it doesn't include any information relating to the Fiat multijet engine, as it covers the 2.2 and 3.0 HDi engines fitted to the Relay. There;s nothing in it that isn't already in eLearn for a Ducato.

I'm not sure why you seem to be spending time trying to find a source of eLearn when Robin had already made it readily and easily accessible to any forum members who want it? But you won't find it as a PDF file.

Deneb - 2020-07-12 11:24 AM

I'm not sure why you seem to be spending time trying to find a source of eLearn when Robin had already made it readily and easily accessible to any forum members who want it?.

Just that it seemed a very long winded way to get a fiat manual but if your happy with it as I am with mine alls good

Archived