Yeah, it's the airbag light again!

saitir

Hi all.

So the MOT for my self converted 2012 Boxer is Friday, and I decided to clear out the cab this weekend prior to that...

Started it up after and the airbag light came on. My first reaction was I'd disturbed the under seat wiring given how unreliable it can be, especially as the drivers seatbelt warning light/buzzer stopped working at the same time. No apparent problems in the wires or connector, but I had access to a resistor airbag diagnostic box and tried that to no avail.

Initially the light would be on permanently after ignition is turned on. After fiddling and trying resistor combos I can often make it go out with the other lights on ignition, but then it comes back on after about 10 seconds with the text warning and a beep.

I've reached out to crash data already this evening and I'll get the unit off to them (super fast response to the email), but thought I'd run it past you guys on the off chance someone had seen something similar and had an idea of what to try, rather than wait and see what comes back from that.

I've removed the airbag ECU fuse to no avail but haven't tried a battery disconnect attempt at a reset as yet.

I'm not certain but mostly sure the van was a right-off rebuild when I bought it about 4 years ago to convert, given it still had a load of wooden shelving built in the back I'd say it had had a front end smash, so who knows what shenanigans, bypasses and bodges might've been done to get it all working again.

I'm pretty sure I'll fail the MOT and have to repair it in the grace period (or is it marked dangerous keep off the road with an airbag failure?) so it's not hyper urgent - I have to work so I can't give this 100% of my time even if I do live in the beastie!

I've skimmed over a lot of the previous airbag/ecu threads and nothing stuck out as being very similar to these bits.

Anyway, regardless, thanks for reading through yet another of these threads!

I did the remove battery and fully charged it.

It worked for a short while, 30 mins or so.

I sent an email to Fiat Italy on a Sunday during lock down and I received a telephone call Monday morning asking where my local professional garage is.

He new the service manage by name and he advised me to book it in and they would cover the parts.

I did this after a long delay and booked in on a Wednesday and they booked it in for the Friday.

30 mins later they advised the parts would be covered by Fiat and I paid for fitting and set up. £117.00

Superb service and now with 12 months no quibble warranty.

Our MH was out of warranty and Fiat acknowledge they have a problem.

So it’s definitely worth you going down the Fiat professional route.

Although it would do no harm for saitir to contact Fiat about the airbag light problem, there’s a significant difference between the fault showing up on your 2016 Malibu that was 10 months out of warranty when the fault appeared, and a 2012 Ducato ‘white van’ that was DIY-converted into a campervan and may have been a rebuilt insurance write-off when the present owner bought it 4 years ago.

A week prior to mine, they had carried out the same procedure to a 14 reg.

it’s certainly worth a quick friendly email to the customer services Italy.

3 years ago one of the keys to my wife’s X3 stopped working.

They supplied a new one at cost after asking for bmw assistance.

It was low mileage and in amazing condition.

Thanks to Den and Derek for the input.

My experience with customer service generally has always been the further from original purchaser you are the more problems you'll have, so my initial thoughts were always that it wasn't worth trying. However, once I get the report back from Crash data, it will certainly be worth a shot while I try to source either spares, replacements or repairs in my local area.

My experience of finding competant non dealer garages locally that can cope with any electronic issues is generally very poor though.

So if anyone is aware of, or is!, a trust worthy garage within 10-20 miles of Halesowen/ j3 M5) I'd appreciate any recommendations or warnings!

saitir - 2021-02-23 10:09 AM

So if anyone is aware of, or is!, a trust worthy garage within 10-20 miles of Halesowen/ j3 M5) I'd appreciate any recommendations or warnings!

Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services at Telford always used to be highly recommended on here and Dave used to be a forum member. He also writes a column in one of the MH magazines. I have never used his services but others certainly have.

https://davenewell.co.uk/

Keith.

I use Cambridge Car and Commercials, Andover Street, Digbeth, Birmingham B5 5RG; they are a very experienced independent garage and will not rip you off. They do a lot of work with vans, I have been using them for about 30 years,

They are also an MOT testing station.

They are about 10 miles from Halesowen according to Google maps.

Give them a ring on 0121 643 6598.

Probabaly of no real help, as it may well be a different "fault" anyway...but hasn't there been cases where breaks/corrosion in the loom(s)- either under a junction box under the bonnet? or where a cable bridges the gap between the door and door pillar?- have caused hard-to-pin-down faults, involving warning lights?

Either way, hope you manage to get it sorted easy enough.

jb6981 - 2021-02-23 1:43 PM

I use Cambridge Car and Commercials, Andover Street, Digbeth, Birmingham B5 5RG; they are a very experienced independent garage and will not rip you off. They do a lot of work with vans, I have been using them for about 30 years,

They are also an MOT testing station.

They are about 10 miles from Halesowen according to Google maps.

Give them a ring on 0121 643 6598.

Many thanks for this, I'll add that to my contacts and look them up for next years MOT.

Keithl - 2021-02-23 10:46 AM

Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services at Telford always used to be highly recommended on here and Dave used to be a forum member. He also writes a column in one of the MH magazines. I have never used his services but others certainly have.

https://davenewell.co.uk/

Keith.

many thanks for the pointer in their direction. I'll keep a note and look them up if I need anything further.

So just because I hate problem threads that never get resolved... :-D

The guys at Crashdata got my airbag ecu tested yesterday, found it to have a faulty circuit board amongst other issues. Got a recoded replacement back from them in the post today, plugged it in and everything worked perfectly.

Just to get through tomorrows MOT now.

Thanks for everyone's attention and comments through this though. Much appreciated to find a positive community around.

As the Fiat email address was referred to by forum-member “Den” in his posting of 22 February 2021 8:58 PM above, you could try PMing him or contacting him via the email address in his forum Profile. Den’s most recent forum logon was on 26 February 2021 and the Profile email address looks valid - so you ought to reach him one way or the other.

I think you may find that Den contacted Fiat using their online “Contact Us” form (rather than by direct email)

https://www.fiat.co.uk/contact-us

and then received a phone call from Italy.

saitir - 2021-02-25 4:44 PM

So just because I hate problem threads that never get resolved... :-D

The guys at Crashdata got my airbag ecu tested yesterday, found it to have a faulty circuit board amongst other issues. Got a recoded replacement back from them in the post today, plugged it in and everything worked perfectly.

Just to get through tomorrows MOT now.

Thanks for everyone's attention and comments through this though. Much appreciated to find a positive community around.

I and I am sure many others, really do appreciate reports like the above. All too often, we are left in the dark as to the eventual solution.

Alan

Archived