You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  Motorhomes -> Motorhome Matters
Jump to page : FirstPrevious 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Format:  Go
Yet another battery question
AuthorMessage
userfesspark
Posted: 18 October 2018 11:19 AM
Subject: RE: Yet another battery question

Pillar of the forums

Thankyou again all of the people who helped me, Getting there fesspark
userfesspark
Posted: 19 October 2018 9:17 PM

Pillar of the forums

Alan,any ideas? Put battery on EHU for 24hours switched off and left it, strong sun all day,still showing fully charged? tonight 9pm dark,dropped to just over 12. engine Bty; reading 12.75. the leisure bty; is obviously loosing its charge? How can I find out what is causing the discharge? fesspark
userAlanb
Posted: 19 October 2018 11:07 PM

Epic contributor

spirou - 2018-10-17 1:18 PM

..........As I was thinking about it I might try to pull a bigger cable through rather than use doubled 6. Not sure if 2x16mm2 fits in the same space as 4x6 though. Have to go find some cable to measure first. I only find core diameters online.

Spirou,

On 12voltplanet website & in Vehicle Wiring Products catalogue, thinwall 16mm cables OD 7.9 mm & 7.5mm are quoted. Hope that this helps.

Alan
userspirou
Posted: 20 October 2018 3:34 AM

Lives on the forums

fesspark - 2018-10-19 10:17
How can I find out what is causing the discharge? fesspark

If the same behaviour doesn't happen with the battery completely disconnected then do as I mentioned earlier. Take a multimeter on current mode and start pulling fuses/wires. But if this is recent development it is probably more likely to be a dead battery so charge, disconnect and measure after a day or more. Remember to pull the fuse from the solar regulator before disconnecting the battery.
userfesspark
Posted: 20 October 2018 8:24 AM

Pillar of the forums

Thanks, Its not the Battery has I have tried 2 and both went from fully charged to almost flat,it is obvious the circuit, I will do as you suggest,fesspark
useraandncaravan
Posted: 20 October 2018 9:41 AM

Forum master

Fesspark, that makes me wonder if the battery is actually being charged at all by the inboard EHU charger?

Are you sure the charger is working, what voltage and current are you seeing on the Display Panel when the charger is switched on? This obviously needs to be done when no other charging is taking place, like Solar, etc.

If the charger has failed and your 'backup' battery is down at 12v then it may not be as good as you thought?

userfesspark
Posted: 20 October 2018 7:10 PM

Pillar of the forums

I think it is possible that the charger is,nt working? When the sun went down, the battery went immediatly to 12.2 Reading?It also went down after I disconnected the Electric hook up after 24 Hrs.? If thats the case whats the likely cause and can I rectfy it or do I need the warrenty people to deal with it,as I was planning a short trip for a few days fesspark

I
userfesspark
Posted: 21 October 2018 8:12 AM

Pillar of the forums

Just read the battery and it is reading only 12v and says half charged,it looks as though it is the charger not working,Where would I find that?fesspark
userspirou
Posted: 21 October 2018 11:04 AM

Lives on the forums

Cover the solar panel (or remove the fuse), plug into EHU and see if voltage rises.

Edited by spirou 2018-10-21 11:04 AM
userplwsm2000
Posted: 21 October 2018 3:26 PM

A posting machine

fesspark - 2018-10-21 8:12 AM

Just read the battery and it is reading only 12v and says half charged,it looks as though it is the charger not working,Where would I find that?fesspark

I don't know what EBL is in your van, but if it is a Schaudt EBL, the charger is probably inside the EBL.

Some basic checks that might help -
On your display, is the mains indicator on?
If yes, then check the charger output fuse on the EBL. On my EBL223, it is a 20Amp fuse labelled "Int Lademodul"
If no, then check there is mains power on the IEC "kettle" lead that is plugged into the EBL. Maybe a breaker has trippedor the plug is loose?.

If there is mains power and the charger output fuse is ok, then it looks like the charger is at fault. There is an 3A fuse on the mains input side, but I don't think you can access it without removing the EBL. If this has blown, there is probably something wrong with the charger in any case.

userfesspark
Posted: 21 October 2018 9:08 PM

Pillar of the forums

Thanks for your info I will check it out as soon as possible.fesspark
userfesspark
Posted: 26 October 2018 1:50 PM

Pillar of the forums

Could not find the problem,so arranged to take it to the dealer,on monday,as its new it has another 18months warrenty,thanks again fesspark
useraandncaravan
Posted: 18 December 2018 12:39 PM

Forum master

kevina - 2018-09-01 11:21 PM

I'm in the middle of a test on my 5 year old gel batteries which have been heavily used for 4 months annually, half of which whilst on skiing trips using very little hookup.

Kevina, We are always trying gather more information, so wondered if you would share what you found with the Gel battery testing you planned to carry out a while ago?
Jump to page : FirstPrevious 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator