Yet another battery question

aandy

I have two Banner 100/110ah flooded cell leisure batteries which are just over two years old. In anticipation of six days off EHU I have tried to establish how much life is left in them. I charged them fully and then left lights, TV etc on for a few hours each day to replicate typical use. I did that over a week, rather than all in one go, so as to include the background drain, which appears to be about 5 amps a day. After six days they are showing 12.2v so, according to the Yuasa chart, are around 50%. I am happy with that as this is the heaviest use they will ever get.

When I put them back on charge they were initially taking 21 amps, dropping to 15 after around 5 minutes and now, after 2 hours, are at 8 amps. Since the charger is fused at 25 amps I am slightly concerned that it was, albeit briefly, working so close to capacity. I asked when I bought the van about the limitations when adding a second battery, and was told that if it would fit in the battery box the charger would cope. Does that sound like good advice, or should I go for smaller batteries when the time comes to change? I couldn't find a model number for the charger, only that it is a Sargent three stage, but the control unit is a Sargent EC450.

Andy

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the figures demonstrate, it can be clearly seen that the charger was working really hard and as you seem to be realising, what the dealers tell you isn't always informed.

I am guessing the charger is the Sargent PX 300 where the electronics are temperature controlled. As the charger gets hot with working hard, the charge is backed down to prevent overheat. A lot of motorhome/caravan chargers work in this way, some have a peak rating that is high, but once they get hot they back right down to a 'real' charger output that is about 2/3rds the label rating.

But those first few seconds are crucial because the heat can take a little while to reach the temperature sensor by which time things have burned.

The charger survived this time but you can see that either discharging lower than 50% or the batteries getting to End Of Life (or more usually both) will increase the load dramatically and the charger might pop.

The PX300 is a 21amp charger, you can imagine how well a BCA 12amp charger copes with two batteries?

But it isn't just the size of batteries, it is the overall load. You should consider the battery bank size, battery condition and depth of discharge.

A single battery on it's own that is 'well past it' can place a shorted cell equivalent load to an Iron bar across the charger terminals.

So having two 90Ah quality, efficient, high technology batteries is ok but you are approaching the reliable limits of most chargers installed in most motorhomes so still need to manage that load, for example so the batteries are not discharged too low and/or allowed to reach their twilight years.

Fitting a couple of low tech, 110Ah low quality batteries will be a whole different ball game when the loadings may rise significantly.

We don't rate the Banner's as either high technology or efficient, even when new. And being High Antimony content batteries, they are very prone to internal corrosion degradation.

Thanks Allan. I'm never comfortable with anything working close to maximum capacity, particularly where electricity (or as I prefer to call it, magic, is concerned). I do regularly check the readings on the control unit (though I don't really understand them) and this was by far the highest charge rate I've seen, presumably because it's the lowest I've ever discharged the batteries.

Having established that the batteries will suffice for my upcoming visit to the Great Dorset Steam Fair, the plan is to keep them for the winter, when any outings will be on EHU, and replace them early next year when, hopefully, there will be a wider range of EFB options. If they take too much of a hammering next week, I guess it might be an idea to pull the battery fuse before setting out for home, to protect the alternator, and partially charge them on the bench before letting the onboard charger finish the job.

On a personal note, I cannot imagine what you must be going through. It says an awful lot about you that, despite that, you can still take the trouble to help and advise.

Andy

The Sargent PX 300 is from far the best charger but is about the the lowest spec charger we suggest anyone buys, It is easily obtainable, lowish cost, made specifically for the demands of a Motorhome, well made and reliable if used as designed.

Unlike many chargers in this price range it actually performs quite well, so long as not used for permanent long term charging.

You can buy cheaper units, like the Rovert, but they are not in the same league.

The best charger range we have seen is the Victron Blue Energy 20A unit -

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Blue-Smart-IP22-Charger-180-265-VAC-EN.pdf 20a or 30a

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Blue-Smart-IP67-Charger-Waterproof-EN.pdf 17a or 25a

Unlike units like the Rovert's alleged 18a output, the Victron output really is what they say but they come at a price.

The Victrons also have a 'Long term EHU' storage mode where the unit detects no battery drain has taken place for a period of time so drops into an ultra low Float charger mode of 13.2v down from the usual 13.8v. As it says in the links above this extends battery life.

Every 7 days the charge goes back up to 14v to revitalise the battery.

We would like all UK charger manufacturers to include this feature.

I would suggest that trying to push the limits of your batteries is not the way to go, much better IMO to have a solar panel which will put something back every day.

We won't be going this year, but we have done the Great Dorset couple of times with this van (our first time there was the second or third event and in our old HB Viva) one battery and a 85w panel, no problems.

p.s. It's a Banner Energy Bull battery,

colin - 2018-08-15 8:41 PM

I would suggest that trying to push the limits of your batteries is not the way to go, much better IMO to have a solar panel which will put something back every day.

We won't be going this year, but we have done the Great Dorset couple of times with this van (our first time there was the second or third event and in our old HB Viva) one battery and a 85w panel, no problems.

You are of course correct, but having been to the GDSF before you'll know that we won't be spending much time in the van so battery use will be modest. They are unlikely to drop below 50%, but if they do on such light use they were knackered anyway so I've nothing to lose by finishing them off.

I have considered a solar panel, but have decided against it. GDSF apart, I never spend more than two or three days in one place, except during the winter months when I always have EHU and solar would provide limited benefit anyway. Also, there is only one suitable space on the roof and that will be shaded much of the time by the TV aerial.

I had an HB many years ago (white with an imitation vinyl roof) and learned to drive in an HA. I've often been tempted to get another, but I've probably got enough toys already.

My first experience of a Camper at 8 years of age was a Viva HA like the photo. I thought it an amazing piece of engineering.

21111190_VauxhallVivaHAcampervan.jpg.95dd0f0149834d1a6d7eaf3ccf8c8ed9.jpg

aandncaravan - 2018-08-16 8:51 AM

My first experience of a Camper at 8 years old was a Viva HA like the photo. I thought it an amazing piece of engineering.

The first vehicle I owned was a HA van, it was past it's best when I got it and I clocked up 25k miles in a year. When I got rid of it the seam between roof and side was completely gone, if you had stood up in van it probably would have opened up like that camper.

(lol)

Thank you Derek, had an email this morning saying -

"Tanya still out of stock of the Yuasa L36-EFB and don’t know when they will get. Cant find anyone else that sells them.

Tayna suggested ….. they would fully endorse the Enduroline EXV110AGM :

https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/enduroline/exv110agm/

It is a 95Ah AGM battery with a cool 800CCA.

This is allegedly far superior to an 100Ah EFB battery. The technology is better and the draw is deeper.

It is the same physical size and would do wonders when installed in the application.

And went on to say…..

The LFD90 is a wet battery and will not deliver the same power that you're looking for. This will be more akin to a 70-80Ah AGM battery. It has 2 years warranty as standard. I would recommend you go for the EXV110AGM. It is stronger and has a longer warranty.

Any comments as to availability (eg elsewhere) and the alternative suggested by Tanya?

May just have to go with the old recommendation of LFD90

Cheers"

We pointed the Enduroline battery was rubbish and one of those being '"investigated'.

How can Tayna even suggest a 90Ah quality battery is equivalent to a 70-80Ah AGM when it the AGM that won't charge fully!!!.

What a shower.

I've noticed in the past that whatever battery you select on Tayna's site, it will invariably bring up a recommendation to buy Enduroline instead. The recommendation will sometimes make an attempt at justification - more CCA, higher capacity etc - but even where the specification of the selected battery is equal on every parameter, they still push the Enduroline. I've always had good service from Tayna, but I consider this sort of marketing cynical and bordering on dishonest.

I am encouraged by the approach Alpha are adopting - albeit with Allan's prompting - and for that reason alone they will be my first port of call in future. Let's hope they live up to the promise.

Alpha also give the Varta LFD90 a longer 4 year warranty, which is the more usual time given by other retailers. Not the 2 years that Tayna provide.

I wonder if Tayna drop the Varta warranty so that the Enduroline looks more competitive?

The more I hear about Tayna lately the more I dislike how they operate.

We were recently sent a price list by a big retailer that listed the Asain built Enduroline EXV110 equivalents (which are Starter based batteries) that would have allowed us to buy in in singles at £56 ea. Bulk discounts made it very much cheaper.

When you think that a wholesaler has taken their cut, the retailer offering them to us had taken their cut, you can see the manufacturer probably sells them at less than £30 ea.

Clearly not quality batteries.

Despite our website stating all over the pages we don't sell any batteries, to maintain the Independence, they clearly didn't do much research.

rupert123 - 2018-08-17 9:12 PM

I have to disagree about Tanya, brilliant service and very fast delivery plus good prices.

I can't disagree about the pricing and delivery, but misdescribing batteries as they did in Alan I's email is not brilliant service.

The XV battery is made in Asia and the manufacturer describes the XV range as a low grade Starter battery with Starter battery grade Active material/Paste.

If you look at the charts below, far right hand column, you will see that it is described as such. The higher spec DC range, but still very poor quality, achieves around 60 cycles. Again manufacturers information, and the XV around 10 cycles.

The second chart shows what the battery is designed for. You will see that when it come to 'Starting' use it gets a low three stars.

For deep cycling and Dual capability it doesn't get a single star.

Just as bad is it's ability to live on long term EHU/Solar, it's 'Floating Service capability', is also a poor single star.

Yet tayna describe it as a Leisure battery fit for a Motorhome.

This is the wet acid version, but the XV AGM version is made down to the same very low specification.

Better than a Varta LFD90 with 200 plus cycles?

Dishonesty doesn't describe half of it.

Look for tayna and it's Powerline/Enduroline batteries appearing at the top of the UK Gov 'ripoff' charts soon.

1364974807_AtlasNumaxHankooksmallMostTechnology.jpg.e600e28971416b8bfa6bce52e8ad7fbb.jpg

1999832061_AtlasNumaxHankooksmallMostAppropriateUsage.jpg.2c6dcbd92c89b09214607723e4593147.jpg

aandncaravan - 2018-08-17 10:09 PM

rupert123 - 2018-08-17 9:12 PM

I have to disagree about Tanya, brilliant service and very fast delivery plus good prices.

I can't disagree about the pricing and delivery, but misdescribing batteries as they did in Alan I's email is not brilliant service.

The XV battery is made in Asia and the manufacturer describes the XV range as a low grade Starter battery with Starter battery grade Active material/Paste.

If you look at the charts below, far right hand column, you will see that it is described as such. The higher spec DC range, but still very poor quality, achieves around 60 cycles. Again manufacturers information, and the XV around 10 cycles.

The second chart shows what the battery is designed for. You will see that when it come to 'Starting' use it gets a low three stars.

For deep cycling and Dual capability it doesn't get a single star.

Just as bad is it's ability to live on long term EHU/Solar, it's 'Floating Service capability', is also a poor single star.

Yet tayna describe it as a Leisure battery fit for a Motorhome.

This is the wet acid version, but the XV AGM version is made down to the same very low specification.

Better than a Varta LFD90 with 200 plus cycles?

Dishonesty doesn't describe half of it.

Look for tayna and it's Powerline/Enduroline batteries appearing at the top of the UK Gov 'ripoff' charts soon.

I cannot argue with what you say but when I look for a new battery I tend to look for recommendations, like yours for example, before I buy. I then look around for the best price and Tanya always seems to come out near or at the top. I have just bought a starter battery from them, ordered on Thursday about 3pm, delivered Friday at 11am. I know they are not far away from me but their dispatch and communication are first class and this is what I want. They have never tried to recommend a different battery to the one I asked for.

I've used Tayna in the past. Always ordered online. Found their service excellent. I seem to recall they did offer a 'better' battery than the one I requested so a few minutes ago I went online to order a Varta LFD90 just as a test.

The 'Star buy in this size battery' came back, adjacent to the LFD90, as "EXV110 Enduroline Calcium Leisure Battery 12V " because of "Higher Capacity and Longer Warranty". And its more expensive than the LFD90.

To me that is pure marketing bovine effluent based on your knowledge of batteries Allan, so thank you for all you are doing to clean up the market.

if I may pick up on a comment Allan makes about the Sargent PX300 charger which he suggests should not be left on EHU for charging. Our Swift Bolero seems to have a PX300 and an EC620 PSU.. When parked up at home out of use, we normally keep the van on EHU to keep batteries topped up via the Command system. Should we not be doing this? We have a YU-POWER YPC100 Leisure battery. I check the readings every few days and they appear to confirm that all is well with the mains charger alternately charging the LB and VB at around 13.4a. Should we not be doing this? If we are doing something wrong, what should we be doing please?

Barry

Boris - 2018-08-19 6:47 PM

if I may pick up on a comment Allan makes about the Sargent PX300 charger which he suggests should not be left on EHU for charging. Our Swift Bolero seems to have a PX300 and an EC620 PSU.. When parked up at home out of use, we normally keep the van on EHU to keep batteries topped up via the Command system. Should we not be doing this? We have a YU-POWER YPC100 Leisure battery. I check the readings every few days and they appear to confirm that all is well with the mains charger alternately charging the LB and VB at around 13.4a. Should we not be doing this? If we are doing something wrong, what should we be doing please?

Barry

The Yuasa YPC100 is an AGM battery designed for golf buggies and the like, it isn't designed for being charged on a PX300 in any way shape or form, as it is only a 14.4v charger. The battery will be slower to charge and after some usage may eventually fail to reach full charge on such a charger.

Also the YPC100 particularly won't like being constant float charged at 13.6v, either by a mains charger or Solar regulator.

Who advised you fit such a battery with a Sargent EC620/PX300, was it on recommendation from a Battery retailer?

If you look at the second chart we post above, you will see that not all batteries tolerate constant float charging equally, see the line on 'Floating Service Capability' and see how they can range from 4 stars to just one star.

More info here : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/ehu-full-time-yes-or-no.php

See also this web page on AGM batteries and Motorhomes : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/agm-batteries.php

Thanks Allan,, The battery was on the van when supplied new in January 2018 being a 2017MY. Guess it mst have come out of Swift factory as standard equipment. What would you suggest to rectify? I don't know if the VB is the same so will check tomorrow. Do I change batteries or the charger? I guess that the battery will be the easiest/better option.

Barry

An AGM battery in a Stop/Start vehicle has a special Alternator that charges at 14.8v when 'boosting' the battery and drops to 13.4v when 'Floating the battery.

I think you need to check the functionality of your Alternator?

Likewise a Solar regulator will have a similar charge AGM profile.

I guess you can see that this isn't just about the mains charger needing to be AGM optimised?

Even if the battery isn't damaged by the charging systems around it, it is obvious it isn't going to charge up fast or full if the battery wants 14.8v and gets just 14.4v?

But far worse than that, many Sargent systems in many British built motorhomes don't even get the Alternators 14.4v to the habitation area battery because of poor design, installation and cabling.

We typically see low 14.1v or even 13.8v at the habitation battery when the Fridge is also set to run from 12v due to voltage drop.

It isn't usually noticed because the owner can't see the poor Alternator charge at the habitation battery because the systems volt meter 'shuts down' the minute the engine starts.

Before you do anything else see exactly how yours performs.

Get a multi meter on the habitation battery and start the engine with the Fridge manually set to 12v.

Note what voltage the habitation area battery charges at, if it is the typical 13.9v, you don't have a system that will either charge an AGM fully or fast.

In this case the AGM battery will most likely reach only 80% capacity and take longer to get there than the best wet acid batteries once it has been used a few times. It will also degrade very quickly.

Next, get the multi meter on the Starter battery with the engine running and see what that reading is, hopefully it will be a minimum 14.4v.

Once you know what the charging systems are capable of (with real world figures and not the theory of what a perfect set-up can provide) you can work out a solution

I have to say that really is a weird battery to fit in a Leisure vehicle.

It is typically claimed as suitable for use

"in Alarm Systems, Golf Trolleys, wheelchairs, Emergency Lighting, Ride on Toys, Torches, UPS systems".

The Sargent documentation for the EC620/PX300 says,

"it is essential that only a proprietary brand LEISURE battery is used with a typical capacity of 75 to 120 Ah".

Regardless of what our experience has been, I wouldn't describe that battery as a perfect 'match' with the Sargent requirements.

Archived