Yuasa L36efb

trialsrider

Just ordered one of these batteries from alpha batteries. Got a £5 discount for mentioning Allen from the forum. Many thanks. Was wondering about the venting for this battery. Will it come supplied with vent pipe or will I have to purchase it. If I need to buy it could someone tell me what size it is please ? Also Is it just one vent or two ?

The only vehicle-battery vent-tube fitment I’m aware of that is battery-make-specific is the fitment designed for Banner batteries - otherwise the vent-tube fitting is standardised.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/battery-leads-terminals/vent-pipes/

Each end of a battery that will accept a vent-tube will have a ‘hole’ into which the vent-tube’s elbow-fitment can be inserted. This means that, whichever way the battery is oriented in the vehicle, it should be straightforward to attach an existing vent-tube to that battery.

It’s not usual to market a battery together with a vent-tube, not least because batteries sold on-line will tend to be replacements and there’s a strong likelihood that the vehicle for which the battery is intended will already have a vent-tube present.

Buying a battery ‘over the counter’ offers the opportunity to ask face-to-face if the vendor will chuck in a free vent-tube, but I suspect Alpha Batteries won’t automatically provide a vent-tube for any battery ordered on-line. To confirm their policy, ask them and, even if they don’t include a vent-tube with on-line orders, they should be able to send one to you along with the battery.

Standard practice is to fit only one vent-tube, with the vent-tube ‘hole’ in the opposite end of the battery being closed by a plug (that the battery should carry when it arrives).

Derek Uzzell - 2019-01-23 1:35 PM

The only vehicle-battery vent-tube fitment I’m aware of that is battery-make-specific is the fitment designed for Banner batteries - otherwise the vent-tube fitting is standardised.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/battery-leads-terminals/vent-pipes/

Each end of a battery that will accept a vent-tube will have a ‘hole’ into which the vent-tube’s elbow-fitment can be inserted. This means that, whichever way the battery is oriented in the vehicle, it should be straightforward to attach an existing vent-tube to that battery.

It’s not usual to market a battery together with a vent-tube, not least because batteries sold on-line will tend to be replacements and there’s a strong likelihood that the vehicle for which the battery is intended will already have a vent-tube present.

Buying a battery ‘over the counter’ offers the opportunity to ask face-to-face if the vendor will chuck in a free vent-tube, but I suspect Alpha Batteries won’t automatically provide a vent-tube for any battery ordered on-line. To confirm their policy, ask them and, even if they don’t include a vent-tube with on-line orders, they should be able to send one to you along with the battery.

Standard practice is to fit only one vent-tube, with the vent-tube ‘hole’ in the opposite end of the battery being closed by a plug (that the battery should carry when it arrives).

Thanks Derek for the very informative answer. I phoned up alpha batteries and they did kindly agree to supply me a vent tube inclusive of the price. Well done alpha batteries !!

The yuasa battery is replacing my Lucas supreme 110ah battery which didn't come vented. I'm hoping this battery will be a major Improvement on the Lucas.

For the record, I believe the clear plastic tubing that’s usually used for battery vent-tubes is 5mm/3/16” internal diameter.

It’s stating the obvious, but wherever the tubing is sourced from, the appropriate L-shaped elbow fitment (arrowed in attached photo) will be required to connect the vent-tube to the battery.

This is where Banner batteries differ from the norm. It’s not the plastic tubing that’s special, it’s the non-standard elbow that’s necessary to marry up correctly with a Banner battery’s non-standard vent-hole.

638209007_venttubeelbow.jpg.6077bfd86f5ac69f9d11aa27c61450df.jpg

Derek Uzzell - 2019-01-23 5:56 PM

For the record, I believe the clear plastic tubing that’s usually used for battery vent-tubes is 5mm/3/16” internal diameter.

It’s stating the obvious, but wherever the tubing is sourced from, the appropriate L-shaped elbow fitment (arrowed in attached photo) will be required to connect the vent-tube to the battery.

This is where Banner batteries differ from the norm. It’s not the plastic tubing that’s special, it’s the non-standard elbow that’s necessary to marry up correctly with a Banner battery’s non-standard vent-hole.

When fitting a vent tube to Banner batteries a few years back, I managed to widen the bore of one leg of the original elbows, so that it would engage with the Banner batteries.

I used a 1/4" handbrace and increased the drill sizes in 0.5mm increments. Due to the plastic wall of the elbow flexing and stretching round the drill bit, it was necessary for the final bit to be at least 0.5mm over the expected size. I expect to be still able to re-use the elbows, in batteries with the more standard vent hole.

Alan

trialsrider - 2019-01-23 5:46 PM

The yuasa battery is replacing my Lucas supreme 110ah battery which didn't come vented. I'm hoping this battery will be a major Improvement on the Lucas.

You might be disappointed in the performance of your Yuasa versus the Lucas as one ebay seller is quoting the Lucas as having an unbelievable

.............. "500 + cycles at 70% Depth of discharge..."

All the Yuasa has to offer is 230 cycles at 50% DOD.

I know, someone will say that the NCC 'verifies the same Lucas battery at 220 cycles at 50% DOD and the manufacturer provided documents to show it achieves nearly 170 cycles 50% DOD. Also that our own tests were less than 150 cycles at 50% DOD, but eBay never lies, see - .

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=222051339889&category=108845&pm=1&ds=0&t=1546011551000&ver=0

"Batteries On The Web" will also be a top company you can trust, so their figures are bound to be correct.

>:-)

Can you tell I have been in a lot of pain today? :$

Fedup.

Archived