adblue

charleydog

charleydog - 2021-11-22 11:35 AM

My a/s Kingham is one year old and has done 3600mls.no sign yet on the dash info on adding adblue.My previous van a Ford , showed to add on 3000 miles. Will I get a warning to add with the Peugeot? ,Thanks anyone.

Yes but you don't have to wait for the warning

Although if you are doing a very low mileage that might be best to keep the adblu fresh

The hose supplied with standard adblu bottle is pretty hopeless for the Ducato/Relay/Boxer

Better with a funnel and bit of hose on the end - long enough to push through the flap in the filler pipe.

The supplied hose end isn't long enough to push said flap fully open, so adblu spills over before its full.

Problem with over filling is it might freeze and burst the reservoir - but very unlikely it will get cold enough in UK for that.

Don't stockpile adblu though because it has a shelflife.

mtravel - 2021-11-22 2:45 PM

A good soluition could be https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Filling-Hose-Adblue-Solution/dp/B01AS75V76

As far as I know it's a universal piece.

I doubt if that would work. You need something to push open the flap, not to wide to go right in. Garden hosepipe pushed on the end of a funnel works well. Dip the end of the hosepipe in a kettle of boiling water to soften it enough to push on to the funnel.

John52 - 2021-11-22 5:05 PM

mtravel - 2021-11-22 2:45 PM

A good soluition could be https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Filling-Hose-Adblue-Solution/dp/B01AS75V76

As far as I know it's a universal piece.

I doubt if that would work. You need something to push open the flap, not to wide to go right in. Garden hosepipe pushed on the end of a funnel works well. Dip the end of the hosepipe in a kettle of boiling water to soften it enough to push on to the funnel.

Personally I haven't tried it yet (I usually fill up at petrol stations with the pump with car nozzle).

But friends use it without problems and have bought Ad Blue canisters in France rather than in Norway.

From what they tell me filler necks are standardized and universal.

On the Peugeot Boxer you will get the warning at between 3000 and 4000 miles. At this point, to completely fill takes about10 litres. There is no great urgency as there is enough remaining for at least 1000 miles.

The ideal method to fill is to use the AdBlue dispensing pump at a garage. This ensures fresh product with much less chance of the resulting mess that occurs with many of the refill 5 litre containers.

Mike

Maybe you're lucky not to be getting a warning!! My Ford transit based 'van has about a 20 litre tank, but warns me when I have 1400 mile range left - there's a lot of refuelling stations before I get to the end - and when it's down to about 500 miles it bleeps every ten minutes or so.

My advice would be to fill it up, you know how many miles you've done, so could usefully work out how much it uses. I reckon mine can do about 3,000 miles on a fill with some to spare.

Bear in mind there is currently a significant shortage of Adblue with associated price increase as many european factories paused production due to high gas prices. Pretty much sold out in many places or upwards of 30€/10 liter canister. I managed to snag 3x10l for 8€ each at Lidl which should last us a year (shelf life of Adblue)

The first Lidl I went to sold out 2h after opening,

"Temporary price charges in the UK

Producer Yara has introduced a temporary surcharge on sales of its Air1 AdBlue fluid, along with generic products ammonia, urea and nitric acid, reported Business Live at the end of September.

The Norwegian company, which has its UK headquarters in Grimsby and major port operations at Immingham, is adding more than £5 a litre to AdBlue."

https://trans.info/en/european-adblue-factories-suspend-production-significant-price-increases-expected-259378

witzend - 2021-12-01 7:15 AM

spirou - 2021-11-24 11:22 AM

Bear in mind there is currently a significant shortage of Adblue ,

Just tried 3 local suppliers and none available

As of today, the Toolstation outlet at Ross-on-Wye (2 miles from my home) apparently has 20+ 10-litre containers of Redex Adblue available for collection. The Screwfix outlet at Ross-on-Wye has just one 5-litre container of Redex Adblue and no 10-litre containers - but 10-litre containers are in stock at Screwfix branches in Ledbury (3 available) and Gloucester (25 available). Toolstation and Screwfix price for 10-litre container is £9.99

Two garages near Ross-on-Wyre have Adblue pumps, but I don't know if they've run out or not.

Derek Uzzell - 2021-12-02 8:12 AM

As of today, the Toolstation outlet at Ross-on-Wye (2 miles from my home) apparently has 20+ 10-litre containers of Redex Adblue available for collection. The Screwfix outlet at Ross-on-Wye has just one 5-litre container of Redex Adblue and no 10-litre containers - but 10-litre containers are in stock at Screwfix branches in Ledbury (3 available) and Gloucester (25 available). Toolstation and Screwfix price for 10-litre container is £9.99

Two garages near Ross-on-Wyre have Adblue pumps, but I don't know if they've run out or not.

Very likely that was the situation but probably by now its all sold its in great demand just like the toilet rolls was last year

The Screwfix outlet at Ross-on-Wye has just one 5-litre container of Redex Adblue and no 10-litre containers -

I have got 10 litre and 4 litre containers of Redex Adblu The supplied hoses are both useless for the Ducato because they don't penetrate the filler pipe deep enough to push open the spring loaded flap. So the adblu will overflow and make you think its full when it isn't. (But my funnel with a bit of garden hose on the end works perfectly - and can be held in place with an elastic band around the open door in the bodywork.)

witzend - 2021-12-02 8:55 AM

Very likely that was the situation but probably by now its all sold its in great demand just like the toilet rolls was last year

I'm not surprised when that pillock is telling people its going up by more than £5 a litre 8-)

Its people like him that have created the shortage :-S

Mention was made of keeping Adblue fresh, okay accept that is a good plan, but with many of our usage patterns, we don't keep piling on the miles fast to be refilling with fresh product.

Is the issue that "tired" Adblue is simply less effective, thus not doing a proper job environmentally, or is it actually harmful to the system?

Is it indeed drainable and is doing that desirable if we are not getting though a refill in say a year?

John52 - 2021-12-03 8:48 AM

The Screwfix outlet at Ross-on-Wye has just one 5-litre container of Redex Adblue and no 10-litre containers -

I have got 10 litre and 4 litre containers of Redex Adblu The supplied hoses are both useless for the Ducato because they don't penetrate the filler pipe deep enough to push open the spring loaded flap. So the adblu will overflow and make you think its full when it isn't. (But my funnel with a bit of garden hose on the end works perfectly - and can be held in place with an elastic band around the open door in the bodywork.)

There still seems to be plenty of 10-litre containers of Redex AdBlue available for collection from Screwfix branches within (say) a 20 mile radius of where I live (though I have no vehicles that require AdBlue) and I notice that the Screwfix price has now increased from £9.99 to £10.49

A 29 November 2021 Screwfix review said "10 litres of adblue. Good nozzle for filling tank, no spillage. Quite heavy though; I used a big flowerpot to support the weight as I poured. “ but the vehicle involved was not identified. Conversely, the most negative Screwfix reviews highlighted problems with the supplied filler ("The spout provided does NOT FIT many modern vehicles!!” and "The filler tube isn't long enough for 2019 French vans. Where you place the tube inside to fill it won't push the flap open.”) so it's useful to know about the supplied hose being unsuitable for Ducatos.

The Carlube 10-litre container supposedly has a much better ‘spout’ and a current Wilko advert says it’s in stock at £12.49

https://www.wilcodirect.co.uk/product/fuel-treatments/white-adblue-10-litres-ac-cab010/AC-CAB010

Ocsid - 2021-12-03 9:25 AM

Mention was made of keeping Adblue fresh, okay accept that is a good plan, but with many of our usage patterns, we don't keep piling on the miles fast to be refilling with fresh product.

Is the issue that "tired" Adblue is simply less effective, thus not doing a proper job environmentally, or is it actually harmful to the system?

Is it indeed drainable and is doing that desirable if we are not getting though a refill in say a year?

I hoped somebody with more knowlege than me would answer. But since they haven't..

My understanding is the urea in adblu degrades slightly under the ultra violet light in sunlight.

So its both less effective, and because there are more fumes going through the exhaust system there is more residue being deposited inside it.

Its obviously not considered serious enough to change the adblu along with the oil.

Or even keep it in black containers to protect it from light.

But its still not a good idea to stockpile it for a long time.

Draining 'old' AdBlue was asked about (but not answered directly) in this early 2020 forum thread.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Ad-blue/54362/

I suppose what ought to be asked is if a vehicle manufacturer (say Fiat with Ducato) makes any allowance for draining the AdBlue tank easily. If not, presumably the task would either involve siphoning out the old AdBlue or undoing a connection on the tank itself.

Derek Uzzell - 2021-12-04 12:55 PM

I suppose what ought to be asked is if a vehicle manufacturer (say Fiat with Ducato) makes any allowance for draining the AdBlue tank easily.

Certainly not - you can't even get to the bottom of it because its covered by a big metal shroud.

As far as I know old adblue isn't going to damage or stop your engine so its not something that worries me. But I'm still not going to stockpile it. I expect the current shortage to last about as long as the toilet roll shortage, and I've got enough in the tank to last till then :-D

Incidentally I've still got my X2/50 (which has began a new life as a garden shed) so I've just had a look under that too.

Diesel tank looks the same on both vans, even though the X2/50 is 90 litres, and the X2/90 is 75 litres. Looks like the piping has been altered to stop you putting more than 75litres in the X2/90 to keep the tare weight down?

John52 - 2021-12-06 8:56 AM

Diesel tank looks the same on both vans, even though the X2/50 is 90 litres, and the X2/90 is 75 litres. Looks like the piping has been altered to stop you putting more than 75litres in the X2/90 to keep the tare weight down?

That is certainly the trick they used with the 'old' (i.e. pre-Euro6) 60L tank; it was in fact a 90L tank with a restrictor. This German forum thread shows how to remove the restrictor to restore the other 30L:

https://www.wohnmobilforum.de/viewtopic,p,1211780.html

The actual capacity of the tank is embossed on the underside, at least it is on mine.

Peugeot didn't reduce the Boxer's tank size when AdBlue was added which might indicate that space wasn't the issue, as you suggest.

Steve928 - 2021-12-06 11:44 AM

John52 - 2021-12-06 8:56 AM

That is certainly the trick they used with the 'old' (i.e. pre-Euro6) 60L tank; it was in fact a 90L tank with a restrictor. This German forum thread shows how to remove the restrictor to restore the other 30L:

https://www.wohnmobilforum.de/viewtopic,p,1211780.html

The actual capacity of the tank is embossed on the underside, at least it is on mine.

Peugeot didn't reduce the Boxer's tank size when AdBlue was added which might indicate that space wasn't the issue, as you suggest.

Interesting link Thanks.

It shows the capacity of the tank has been restricted by putting a (removeable) extension on the vent pipe. So when the level of fuel in the tank reaches the bottom of the extended vent pipe, air can no longer escape, so no more fuel can enter. It suggests taking out the fuel pump assembly and removing the pipe extension. To get to it you simply open the smaller manhole cover in the cab floor, and unscrew the big plastic retaining ring. Easier said than done without the proper tool because the ring sits in a recess and you can only reach it with your fingertips. They suggest using a blunt screwdriver. But I have heard of people smashing that plastic ring trying to undo it like that (to fit a pick up pipe for a diesel fuelled heater.) :-S

Archived