age 80. Annual multrip travel insurance

chris

We have just received our renewal for annual multi trip travel insurance with each trip covered up to 90 days in length. We are with LV and have been with them for about 7 years as they cover medical conditions and have lower quotes and are a good company. I didn't expect them to give Annual insurance to my husband this year but they have so this is my dilema. Due to corona virus i can't see us travelling abroad this year but would travel next year if its OK. Last year it cost us £525 for the 2 of us and we went to Serbia Romania Hungary etc in the summer then another trip to Portugal jan to march this year so we do take long trips abroad about twice a year and sometimes a last minute flight/package deal. This years quote is £625 and I was shocked to receive a renewal as he is 80 in August and they told me they dont give Annual insurance at that age. So would you go for it??? Is there anyone out there age 8o who just insures each trip and what is the rough cost of a single trip if you do. Has anyone got a quote just to fly to Europe for 2 weeks so I can just compare prices roughly . I need to decide renew it now as they are not giving out new policies unless you are an existing customer. Thanks all. I am 63 and hubby 80 in August

Eurotunnel single trip travel insurance covers us with no age limit. They also simply ask confirmation that you are fit to travel and that's it. Annual cover does have an age limit of 70.

You have to travel with Eurotunnel.

We couldn't get cover for a single trip for less than £600, Eurotunnel insurance costs about £150 for 5 weeks cover.

We both have conditions, some that sound serious but in reality we are both fit and well! But when the conditions are declared the insurance companies simply don't want us, there might be a risk and they don't like risk, only profits!

H

FWIW

Not a direct answer but....we use the Caravan Clubs 'Red Pennant' for vehicle and health insurance.

It is only for a maximum of 30 days each trip.

A single trip premium is about two thirds of the annual cost.....from memory!

Our annual premium, covering my 80th has risen from £295 to £304.

We insure through our Nationwide FLEX Account. Both in our eighty’s with medical conditions. Our total payment for the account and annual worldwide travel is £401.00. This includes a 50 day any one trip extension, breakdown cover and other benefits. I seriously recommend looking at what they offer.

Ron

I too have been looking around for travel insurance (although I am not yet 80) and was considering a Nationwide Flex account, which sounded promising.

But the reviews for travel insurance claims are alarming.

For example: https://smartmoneypeople.com/nationwide-reviews/product/FlexPlus

1 star out of five, and I did read similar things on other sites.

Although maybe somebody here has had a more positive claim experience?

However I'm still looking ...

fesspark - 2020-07-18 2:25 PM

Ron is your account FLEX Plus as the flex direct current account does not give you the insurance or Breakdown cover?fesspark

Yes it is Flex Plus. Sorry if I misled anyone. However, as I said the £401 does include the account fee.

I contacted LV again and declared I have fractured wrist so total cost is up to £687 now for 90 day trips and must be paid by Monday. I then got a quote from Staysure at £412 for 31 day trips annually i then had quote from FreeSpirit and £432 for 45 day trips annually Thanks for the tips everyone. I also looked at single trip insurance and that was £3_£400 . I think we will have to give up the option of 90 day trips now. We will now delay until later in the year before we decide when to travel next but freespirit look good at £250 less . Hope this information will help others in a similar position.. Christine

whats up dock, I have insured with flexplus for a few years and for the first time we had a claim this year, they have cancelled my insurance and I am just waiting for the ombudsman to sort it out for me as they owe me money,I paid roughly £400 for the year and we only had 2,1/2 months cover, not a nice company I have had a claim in since March this year stay clear,rip off! 0 stars as far as I am concerned. fesspark

Archived