air bag

Barcobird

Last time I parked the motorhome everything was fine. 3 or 4 months later we decided to go off on a trip. On starting the engine the first thing to come on was the air bag warning light. After waiting for so long I just carried on, the dash light kept blinking and then there was a warning sound which eventually stopped. I checked the connections under the seat to seat belts etc.

On my return it went to Fiat who diagnosed the problem as a faulty airbag sensor.

Presumably this is nothing to do with the faulty ECU's that have been reported on the internet.

Is this a normal part to pack up with so little use ? The moho is 5 years old and covered 23000klms about 15000miles. Do I have cause to contact Fiat and complain about this. I have a bill for over 400 euro, not a happy chappy.

1037705680_fiatairbag.jpg.b24bee8a2338b90339c48bae1f8c2641.jpg

506088038_fiatairbag2.jpg.d5307fdc6ebd9e9561f8176b7b98f48c.jpg

Den - 2022-07-13 1:54 PM

On our 4 plus year old Fiat MH, Fiat supplied the module and I paid 1/2 labour.

Very straight forward.

I contacted Fiat Italy directly, all sorted in a few days.

I certainly wouldn’t pay.

I had to pay because they wouldn't let me take it otherwise.

Don´t suppose you still have the contact details for whom you contacted ?

I haven’t the details and used my old business email.

I googled Fiat Italy and was lucky it showed up.

I’m useless with technology.

I sent the email on a Sunday evening and received a telephone call Monday morning advising me to take it to my local Fiat professional.

Luckily it was 1/2 mile up the road.

From email to repair less than 5 days.

Sorry I can’t be of help

Den

Hi, i have Fiat Multiecuscan software abbreviated MES, downloaded on to a laptop it has paid for itself ten times over it is a must have item for any Peugeot, Ducato , base motorhomes, it provides the accurate diagnose clears faults does away with all the guessing educates and is not expensive Fiat Ducato x250 and x290 chassis are well supported later mod X290 2017 onward will need an extra security bypass cable have a look into it you will not be disappointed. The controller modules for all the systems are sensitive to voltage spikes motorhome which are parked up longer periods of time are more prone to variations in starter battery voltage which can cause problems with micro controllers.

stevec176 - 2022-07-13 6:10 PM

Try this, Fiat HQ Turin, might be correct but if not they might forward it for you.

centroarchiviostorico@fcagroup.com

Thanks Steve, I continued searching and found a Fiat Uk site that allowed me to fill out an online form. I had a phone call from Italy this morning and they said it would be handed over to someone to look into it for me, so fingers crossed.

Peter

malshadow - 2022-07-14 6:55 PM

Hi, i have Fiat Multiecuscan software abbreviated MES, downloaded on to a laptop it has paid for itself ten times over it is a must have item for any Peugeot, Ducato , base motorhomes, it provides the accurate diagnose clears faults does away with all the guessing educates and is not expensive Fiat Ducto x250 and x290 chassis are well supported later mod X290 2017 onward will need an extra security bypass cable have a look into it you will not be disappointed. The controller modules for all the systems are sensitive to voltage spikes motorhome which are parked up longer periods of time are more prone to variations in starter battery voltage which can cause problems with micro controllers

Thanks for the information and I am sure the multi scan is very useful, however air bags are something you shouldn’t mess around with and best left to the professional’s.

Peter

Hi.

,Have been in touch with Fiat in Italy as had a replacement module fitted in April by a local Fiat dealer who didn't seem too interested in pursuing a claim. So I contacted Fiat UK by email who then passed it onto Italy. Had two conversations with a very helpful lady in Milan. To cut a long story short have been given a credit note for half the cost of original invoice to cover next service which will last for up too two years .So pleased with the outcome.

I had exactly same issue last Nov. Van is 2017 with 18k on clock. Not sure if it is spikes in electric charge as I have a solar panel charging vehicle and hab batteries. When I asked around one opinion was that it occurs if you start the engine immediately when you turn the key rather than leaving it a few seconds for all the lights to go out on the dash before starting the engine. Something to do with the fact the main ecu uses this time to ‘talk’ to the other ecus etc.

machra - 2022-07-26 11:47 PM

I had exactly same issue last Nov. Van is 2017 with 18k on clock. Not sure if it is spikes in electric charge as I have a solar panel charging vehicle and hab batteries. When I asked around one opinion was that it occurs if you start the engine immediately when you turn the key rather than leaving it a few seconds for all the lights to go out on the dash before starting the engine. Something to do with the fact the main ecu uses this time to ‘talk’ to the other ecus etc.

If that is the case then it’s unbelievable that

A they should not use parts that are so temperamental to a spike

B they shouldn’t be charging to replace the part as it is not of good quality

This is the reason there are so many good will gestures.

The lady in control of Portugal (I think they are all based in Italy) phoned me to clarify details. She phoned about 3 days later and said it had been passed to her boss who would make further enquiries and come back to me.

Still waiting but no news is good news *-)

• 2 months later...

I have finally been given an answer today which has taken months. However for the first time I have been asked if it has been serviced in accordance with Fiats schedule which due to the very low mileage has not. So they have said no !

Pity they didn’t ask me at the beginning !

One sprinkle of hope, if it becomes a recall issue then they may refund me.

Archived