andy stothart

bigal55

in the last issue of mmm he stated he avoided bournemouth because of its large caravan parks,could anybody tell me the names of these parks,as a local i would not visit any of the places he recommends in july/ august in a m/home, they are all m/home unfriendly.you can park on the seafront at boscombe if you have a van conversion or on the clifftop otherwise,andy some people like other people

Hi Alan

Having lived in Bournemouth (Ferndown) some years ago, we do like to re-visit on some occasions, but actually have found difficulty in finding somewhere to stay with the motorhome which has adequate access to Public transport. I can only assume that in using the 'town' of Bourneouth, he is actaully refrring to 'Greater Bournemouth' (ie Christchurch, Poole, St ives, Ferndown etc etc) in saying there are many large CPs......

We tend to stay at MeadowBank in Christchurch (still a few 'touring pitches, I think), or else up on the A31/35 on one of the many parks up there. I have also found no difficulty in parking in the coach/carpark at (I think ) Westcliff, only a few mins walk from the sea or town centre.

I've not read the article to which you refer, but have to say that I personally would try to avoid July/August, as I would if I wished to visit Cornwall - which is where we live! Almost any seaside/ tourist area is best avoided as far as we are concerned at peak periods. That's of course a personal view, and there are many who not only disagree, but proibably have no option but to take holidays at that time.

If you know of any good places to stay with the motohome, and with easy Public Transport access, do post these!

bigal55 - 2007-06-26 9:32 PM i am not looking for a site i am pointing out his biased opinions

For goodness sake, he's not biased, he's a northener and he tells it as he sees it, warts and all.

As a bonus, his photography is stunning.

Bearing in mind that Andy StothErt doesn't frequent this forum do you think ti fair to critique his work on here? If you really feel he has it wrong you should write in to the magazine and thereby give him the chance of comment.

And please can you at least do him the courtesy of spelling his name properly? It is S T O T H E R T not S T O T H A R T.

D.

davenewell@home - 2007-06-27 7:10 AM

Bearing in mind that Andy StothErt doesn't frequent this forum do you think ti fair to critique his work on here?

D.

Would you chaps who have contact with the king of misanthropes please let him now that some were quick to defend him from the poster in need of an irony transplant? And good point regarding courtesy Dave; if only the world were more like this...

Cheers,

Steve

Bearing in mind that Andy StothErt doesn't frequent this forum do you think ti fair to critique his work on here? If you really feel he has it wrong you should write in to the magazine and thereby give him the chance of comment.

And please can you at least do him the courtesy of spelling his name properly? It is S T O T H E R T not S T O T H A R T.

D.

Well im one of andys biggest fans , i love to read about his and marions adventures , and i do so wish my photography was as good as his , ah well i can dream , mind you im also a northerner so perhaps im half way there. R .

D.

i have written to the magazine,everyone has an opinion but they should not be written as if they were fact, if there were any large or small caravan parks in bournemouth all our relatives from the north would be using them for our daughters wedding in august instead of having to pay inflated hotel prices

Bazza454 - 2007-06-26 11:17 PM
bigal55 - 2007-06-26 9:32 PM i am not looking for a site i am pointing out his biased opinions

For goodness sake, he's not biased, he's a northener and he tells it as he sees it, warts and all.

he is biased if he states things as fact without checking them out,if you can find these large caravan parks listed under bournemouth i will give a large donation to children in need,mmm is supposed to be informative not vehicle for prejudices, you can park a m/home next to the beach at boscombe and for free on the clifftop,i have nothing to do with the tourist industry and was born in the north so i tell it like i see it

Bazza454 - 2007-06-26 11:17 PM

he is biased if he states things as fact without checking them out,if you can find these large caravan parks listed under bournemouth i will give a large donation to children in need,mmm is supposed to be informative not vehicle for prejudices, you can park a m/home next to the beach at boscombe and for free on the clifftop,i have nothing to do with the tourist industry and was born in the north so i tell it like i see it

D.

Just for you Wayne, next month (August issue) MMM should carry a feature on a 17 year old motorhome, MINE! Anyway there's always Martin Watts monthly column on classic 'vans, anything over 15 years qualifies and he regularly features older 'vans than that. your post why the apostrophes none of us are perfect but we should try and be factual which andy was not

bigal55 - 2007-06-29 8:39 PM
davenewell@home - 2007-06-27 7:10 AM Bearing in mind that Andy StothErt doesn't frequent this forum do you think ti fair to critique his work on here? If you really feel he has it wrong you should write in to the magazine and thereby give him the chance of comment. And please can you at least do him the courtesy of spelling his name properly? It is S T O T H E R T not S T O T H A R T. D.
Just for you Wayne, next month (August issue) MMM should carry a feature on a 17 year old motorhome, MINE! Anyway there's always Martin Watts monthly column on classic 'vans, anything over 15 years qualifies and he regularly features older 'vans than that. your post why the apostrophes none of us are perfect but we should try and be factual which andy was not

Alan,

Log off.

Nip out for a couple of beers.

Calm down.

Come back.

Log on.

Then tell us what you want, what you really, really want.

The issue with Andy Stothert has already been very well covered by Dave Newell. 

bigal55 - 2007-06-29 8:39 PM

D.

Exactly what is your point Al? What apostrophes are you talking about? If its the ones before the word "van" they are there because it is being used as an abbreviation of the word motorcaravan. Did you trawl through a lot of posts to try and find a mistake to highlight or something?

D.

bigal55 - 2007-06-27 6:27 PM i have written to the magazine,everyone has an opinion but they should not be written as if they were fact, if there were any large or small caravan parks in bournemouth all our relatives from the north would be using them for our daughters wedding in august instead of having to pay inflated hotel prices

Now I'm totally confused.  First people shouldn't write opinion as though it is fact, and then Al goes on to do exactly that.  Next, having originally leapt to defend Bournemouth against Andy's alleged bias, he accuses its hotels of charging inflated prices!  With friends like Al.......  Finally, he seems to be a died in the wool Yorkshireman living in what I can only describe as one of the least "Yorkshire" places in Britain.  No wonder the poor chap is out of sorts!  Duck!  :-)

Brian Kirby - 2007-06-30 3:53 PM
bigal55 - 2007-06-27 6:27 PM i have written to the magazine,everyone has an opinion but they should not be written as if they were fact, if there were any large or small caravan parks in bournemouth all our relatives from the north would be using them for our daughters wedding in august instead of having to pay inflated hotel prices

Now I'm totally confused. First people shouldn't write opinion as though it is fact, and then Al goes on to do exactly that. Next, having originally leapt to defend Bournemouth against Andy's alleged bias, he accuses its hotels of charging inflated prices! With friends like Al....... Finally, he seems to be a died in the wool Yorkshireman living in what I can only describe as one of the least "Yorkshire" places in Britain. No wonder the poor chap is out of sorts! Duck! :-)

brian you write a lot of sensible advice on this site but this time you have got it wrong,if you want i will e,mail the number of the venue, you will find that it is £5 a night dearer if you mention wedding, that,s inflated is it not.the bbc did a report on, this the point of this thread was that andy got it wrong, quote "bournemouth with its large caravan sites"i asked where are they? from the replies i thought i had attacked the Ayatollah of m/homes,your a southerner,andy is a northerner so he can say what he likes etc, but nobody could name these large caravan sites.this forum is on the mmm site and if they print what i consider to be misinformation surly i am allowed i am allowed to comment on and for people to prove me wrong, which as i write nobody has. his comment is as accurate as my ex- london neighbour" the north starts at brum, cold, grey, just pits, slag heaps and steel works why would anybody go there". he,s never been norff of the m4. i will pay £100 to children in need for every large caravan site in bournemouth that you can name otherwise i will consider this thread dead.by the way i,ve live here for 30yrs and i am not confused but if you want some genuine advice do not visit the places andy recommends in anything larger than a van conversion in july/august you will probably still be there in sept but you can park easily in b,mouth as per my previous post on this thread

Alan, the piece you are referring to is the opening paragraph of Andy's June offering of "so many roads" is it not? Well I respectfully suggest you go back and read it again with a more ironic outlook. Andy StothErt is known for his dry wit and tongue in cheek remarks, his comments regarding Bournemouth's large caravan parks was in keeping with the rest of that paragraph in highlighting reasons (imagined or real) for NOT going to that area in August. Pretty much the same as you yourself are saying I think.

I still think it is unfair to critique his work in a place he is known to not frequent. you say you have written to the magazine on this so why could you not wait for the response from them and probably the author?

D.

Well, I did say duck!  However, stung by Alan's riposte I have now gone and got out the June MMM, turned to page 64, and looked at Andy's article! 

The first thing I should declare is that I do find some of his writing grates a bit.  I have no objection to people from any part of the country in principle, but there is a certain "in your face" regionality among folk from some parts, and Andy pushes this to the point of irritation at times, which I think a shame, because he begins to put me off instead of carrying me along.  However, that may be what he intends!  However, what he is really for is his pictures, and these have few regional tics on them so I always enjoy and admire these, and have done since he used to write for a certain photographic magazine.

Now, having got that out of the way, back to the article.  In typically provocative, hackle raising, flat cap and aggressive whippet, mode, he says he doesn't much like Dorset.

He then goes on.. "What I really mean is I don't relish the prospect of going there; for Dorset is littered with things like Bournemouth, too much traffic, and huge caravan parks - all bulging with humanity attempting to interfere with my inner karma."

Without going too strong on the clausal analysis, and assuming this is the offending sentence, its subject is clearly Dorset and not Bournemouth.  What this sentence says is that the huge caravan parks are in Dorset, not that they are in Bournemouth.  So, can we all be friends again now?  Please?

Archived