another dissapointment.

fesspark

I have just checked with west bay ,Bridport tourism to find out the opening times in this Pandemic, as we are looking forward to staying a couple of days on the old Railway carpark near to the Beach Not only have they stopped the charged 10pm to 8am parking but they have high Charges now for the daytime. another u.k. tourist spot we will no longer visit, Travelling to Spain ect cannot come soon enough Soon m;homes will have NO WHERE to go in this country. Fesspark :

tell me where there is a camp site that is nearby that I could firstly get in and secondly walk to the beach? as I am unable to walk more than a couple of hundred yards, We have booked to go to North cornwall in September but that is the earliest we can get in.

We have been motorhoming for 40 years and do not hold with wild camping, We believe in paying and not roughing it so 1 finger to you. fesspark

The Britt Valley campground is open July - September according to their website and it is very close to the car park it now has to be pre booked but worth a try. The overnight camping has been banned in the car park because of people not treating it as they should .

fesspark

This May 2019 “Bridport News” article refers to motorhomes using the West Bay Station Yard car park.

https://www.bridportnews.co.uk/news/17611486.parking-problems-already-evident-west-bays-station-road-car-park/

The Council had previously voted to prohibit ALL parking there from 10pm to 8am, but (as rayc said above) there does not seem to be anything online to suggest a recent increase in the £2 ‘all day’ charge.

5 months ago, in response to a question about ‘booking’ a motorhome space at the Station Yard car park, the following advice was given:

You just turn up and hope there is a space available, no booking, it's just a normal car park but has spaces for about 15 motorhomes, price was £2 per day, don't know if it has gone up or not.

There are higher charges at “The Mound” car park (£1 per hour up to 3 hours, then £2 per additional hour) so a 10-hours stay there would cost £17.

Suggest you recheck as - if you did not refer specifically to the “Station Yard” car park when you sought advice - you may have been given pricing for “The Mound” instead.

I can remember the no overnight signs in 2019 at the station carpark I do not think a motorhome would be welcome in the Mound car park somehow as they have the little No motorhome signs in all the West Bay car Parks except the Station yard. I do use the mound parking as my Mercedes Vito Autosleeper pop top is shorter than some cars. This ban on motorhomes is bound to get stricter as they are so popular now and the vans that used to over winter in the EU for 4-6 months can no longer do that the future here in the UK is going to get a bit tight for space and as the industry has done little to nothing it will only get worse. Also in 2019 it was beginning to get a better deal in a hotel than going on a camp site especially in Spain and Portugal

fesspark - 2021-03-24 2:10 PM

Derek just checked, the station carpark is now £8.00 a day ,reasonable I suppose but you stil cannot stay there at night.. fesspark

In fact there IS online information about the rise from £2 to £8 for ‘all day’ parking (all vehicles not just motorhomes)

This 15 December 2020 “Dorset Echo” article mentions that the increase was to take effect in February 2021

https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/18946162.anger-frustration-lyme-regis-west-bay-car-parking-increases/

and it clearly did not go down well with local businesses.

This 16 October 2020 entry on the Dorset Council website

https://news.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/2020/10/16/charges-at-dorset-council-run-car-parks-set-to-change/

indicated that it was originally intended that - in early 2021 - the ‘all day’ charge for the West Bay Station Yard car park would be increased from £2 to £4. It’s now clear (as has been said above) that the increase was revised to £8.

I can’t find on the Justpsark website the “£8 for 24 hours” rajohno mentions (though the app might well show this) but - although the £8 all-day fee is undoubtedly correct - parking at Staion Yard is only permitted from 8am to 10pm.

(As the changes to the car park charges were only implemented last month, given the impact of COVID-19 it’s not too surprising that online data has yet to be updated.)

Wonder if Lyme Regis car park will increase their fees this year. Last year it was £2 for 24 hrs including overnight, but says in small letters no overnight camping but apparently not really inforced. I suppose this year everywhere will be Rip Off year because of the countries state of regulations, with many more having staycations here.

chas - 2021-03-25 8:28 AM

Wonder if Lyme Regis car park will increase their fees this year....

If you are have in mind the car parks at Charmouth Road and Holmbush this link

https://www.lyme-regis-accommodation.co.uk/parking/

advises as follows

Out Of Town Parking

There are two long stay car parks in Lyme Regis, Holmbush and Charmouth Road. As of July 2020, both charge £8 for a full days parking (24 hours). On a sunny summers day these will both fill quickly. Best to arrive before 10a.m. or after 5pm to get a parking space.

However - for both car parks - there’s also the statement Low daily price £8 from 1 April 2021.

See also

https://lyme-online.co.uk/news/lyme-regis-news/dorset-council-now-to-quadruple-all-day-charges-in-lyme-regis-car-parks/

fesspark - 2021-03-24 11:20 AM

I have just checked with west bay ,Bridport tourism to find out the opening times in this Pandemic, as we are looking forward to staying a couple of days on the old Railway carpark near to the Beach Not only have they stopped the charged 10pm to 8am parking but they have high Charges now for the daytime. another u.k. tourist spot we will no longer visit, Travelling to Spain ect cannot come soon enough Soon m;homes will have NO WHERE to go in this country. Fesspark :

I think they will always have somewhere to go, I don't see campsites packing up and closing anytime soon as demand increases. I do, however, think the free parking, cheap travel way of motorhoming is coming to an end, there are just too many of them now. Its not just the congested UK either, Portugal is closing down to free loaders, Spain is changing rapidly, communities cannot cope with the number. One or two vans in the past didn't raise an eyebrow, a car park full of them however, is just a gypsy site and locals simply don't want it.

The Algarve and Spain have always been home to the freeloaders, can,t say I am sorry that they are now doing something about it its a going to be different now that we are out of europe I am sure they will impose heavy fines on the freeloaders spoiling it for all but themselves, bring it on fesspark

chas - 2021-03-25 8:28 AM

Wonder if Lyme Regis car park will increase their fees this year. Last year it was £2 for 24 hrs including overnight, but says in small letters no overnight camping but apparently not really inforced. I suppose this year everywhere will be Rip Off year because of the countries state of regulations, with many more having staycations here.

No overnight camping presumably means no sleeping in vehicles.

You say that it was apparently not really enforced (implying that some people did sleep overnight) although you didn't say how you know this to be a fact. If some people flout the regulations isn't there a possibility that motorhomes/campervans could be banned totally including during the day?

I don’t kmow about Lyme Regis car parks, but the GOOGLE entry for the West Bay Station Yard car park has a QA section that includes the following question/answer made one year ago

Question: (from Clifford Burbury)

Hi can u park up over nite

Answer: (from Darryl Fryatt - a local guide)

Not anymore I'm afraid. Recently changed parking restrictions now prevent overnight stays. I saw at least one motorhome with a penalty notice attached.

Archived