any experience with Memo Van Swing bike carrier

davec_56

We have recently changed vans and now have a Wildax Europa - based on the Renault Master.

We are investigating a suitable bike carrier, suitable for 1 e-bike and one "normal" bike, but also capable of carrying 2 e-bikes should I switch.

The van came with a tow bar so I have been looking at tow bar mounted racks and swing away racks. The fold down tow bar racks don't fold down low enough to allow full opening of the back door. Most of the swing away carriers I have seen online are not available on the Renault Master.

One that does seem suitable is the Memo-Europe Van-Swing and I have been in touch with Memo's dealer in Ireland. Unfortunately they have never supplied a Van Swing and have suggested that as it is fixed only to the tow bar mounting there may be too much weight on the tow bar.

Does anyone have experience of the Van-Swing? Have there been issues with it?

I’ve carried in the past our 2 electric bikes on our Thule tow bar ball mounted rack with no problem.

It wasn’t the swing type though.

Did think about re-engineering it to swing.

But the wife wants a Brompton.

We have a 2019 Europa on Renault Master with Atera DL3 carrier on towball. I can confirm that when its swung out it does clear the back doors so they can be opened. Spacers and longer neck towballs are available to give extra clearance if needed

Link to Roofbox

And this video is of a Ducato but gives idea of operation

Also got the Atera DL3,but on an X250 Ducato. Added a 20mm spacer on the tow bar to enable opening of rear doors with bikes in situ.

Roofbox company sell them and were very clued up as regards clearance of van doors etc. Good bit of kit.

The Memo Van swing doesn't just bolt on where the tow ball mounts, it also has brackets which fit further out near the hinge, or at least that's for the Ducato, and I can't see the Master version being different.

After seeing a Memo I designed and built my own version which retains use of tow bar (you can't tow with the memo ball) and reduces the amount rack sticks out at rear. Aside from that it's a similar principle and works well.

Folks, thanks for the replies.

Arthur49 - I'll investigate a longer tow ball and spacers and see if that will work with our existing Buzzrack e-Scorpion 2.

With the current setup both doors open slightly less than the nearside door in the youtube video of the Ducato in the link you provided.

I've had a brief email exchange with Memo-Europe in the Netherlands and they have told me that the Van Swing would be OK for my 2018 Master.

I still want to consider the Van Swing, so I'd appreciate if anyone can tell me of their experience with it - Master or Ducato.

Archived