arto rcd device

ds420geoff

Hi

I purchased an Arto 69 EGB in 2007 and there was NO RCD. As there is a pcb within the box containing the single two pole 16A circuit breaker I did a quick test by creating a 50ma earth leakage and nothing happened. I then fitted my own rcd alongside the two pole circuit breaker and tested, now much safer.

Most German vans do not have a RCD, if it is an official import the importer should have fitted one to comply with UK regs, they have been required since the 16th edition of the IEE Wiring regs.

Any dealer selling a van must comply with the regs so if you brought from a UK dealer take it back and get them to fit one FOC.

My Hymer brought in Belgium did not have one, soon sorted that out, also previous Hobby caravan brought in Germany did not have one.

Hi Len

Do the 16th edition of the IEE Wiring regs apply to installations in motor vehicles as gas regs, as I understand it, do not otherwise we would not be able to diy a gaslow installation.

Yes it was an official import from that company that on resurrecting itself no longer held the franchise and got rid of any earlier liabilities.

As I already had in stock a number of 30ma RCD units (bulk Ebay purchase)it was cheaper and simplier to add it myself.

Finally, how many other official or direct european imports are sold on without an rcd, perhaps any one with or knows of such motorhomes, should check to be safe®.

Archived