autocruise rythmn

paulw60

Your Rhythm’s motor will have a timing-chain.

I can’t help with the Peugeot-advised inteval for the acccessory belt(s). if there’s no advice about this in your Peugeot handbook, I suggest you ask a Peugeot dealership.

(For a 2011 Boxer, if yours has not had its acccessory belt(s) replaced at least once during the last 9 years, the belt(s) should definitely be replaced as soon as practicable.)

I had a Burstner based on the FIAT Boxer 2012 and they would not do the MOT at 4 years/8 years unless the belt had been changed. They were too afraid of pushing the engine too hard and so would not take responsibility for this!

I think the present FIAT has similar limitations, though I believe the current MOT requirements are different.

My Autocruise Rythm (2009) has the same engine and is a Ford / Peugeot development partnership I believe. A number of parts carry the Ford logo and one of these is the auxilliary belt drive and pulleys.

At 35000 miles the engine developed a "whining" noise from this area and I fitted Ford parts inc. belt tensioner and belt which was a simple job. On removal the belt, pulleys and bearings showed no signs of wear but I replaced them (perhaps unnecessarily) anyway, although the problem still existed.

Whilst doing the repair I noticed a tiny oil leak from the front crank seal area and my local Peugeot dealer advised replacement. Removing the front pulley for access it was reported to be "de-laminating" (it is constructed in two parts with a rubber bonding between) half of which had progressed backwards towards the engine and in doing so caused a series of tiny pinholes in the timing chain case (hence the whining noise), ultimately causing the oil leak.

By fitting a new chain case, front pulley and seals the oil leak and "whining " noise disappeared together with £1250 from my wallet!

My advice is, be vigilant, don't ignore any oil leaks (now an MOT failure), or untoward noises from under the bonnet!

Keith T - 2020-01-12 5:08 PM

I had a Burstner based on the FIAT Boxer 2012 and they would not do the MOT at 4 years/8 years unless the belt had been changed. They were too afraid of pushing the engine too hard and so would not take responsibility for this!

I think the present FIAT has similar limitations, though I believe the current MOT requirements are different.

That's a strange one, Keith, because like many current diesel engines including both our cars the 2.2l PUMA is limited by its ECU in neutral at 0mph -you cannot hold what it considers excessive revs and it will cut them back. The days of MOT testers revving diesels to destruction are long gone and this is reflected in the current MOT manual's reference to the emissions testing of compression ignition engines:

"Maximum engine revs cannot be achieved on some vehicles due to design features. If this is the case, the vehicle must be tested as presented".

Edit: your reference to a Fiat Boxer has confused me - I may be talking about a different engine..

• 5 months later...
Deffo the Autocruise Rhythm is chain cam -- the 2.2ltr unit is Ford -- 18 months ago I got a box of canaries under the bonnet ! investigation revealed the bottom pulley starting to break up and eating into the chain case cover --I had the job done locally and for new pulley new belts new chain case cover+new seal and oil change just under £500 all in -- apparently it's a common issue with the pulley even more so with air con fitted -- ask your mechanic to inspect on servicing as you might get away with just a replacement pulley.

Archived