autotrail savannah scooter rack

IMP

We had a 2012 Savannah, behind which we towed our Yaris on an A-frame.

The fitting of the tow bar was not cheap, it was a Witter and involved much strengthening of the rear chassis as specified by Autotrail. However once fitted it performed perfectly.

I am sure a tow bar fitted scooter carrier could be fitted, Just need to check the specifications weights and limits.

Many Thanks

In fact, I have spoken to LNB trailers and they told me that fitting a scooter rack is straightforward on this model and that the rear axle maximum loading (2400kgs) is quite sufficient. I will be taking the van to a weighbridge, to get all the weights required to complete the on line evaluation of what weight is safe/legal to hang off the back.

I do realise that the overhang is going to be the key, however!

Cheers

IMP - 2019-11-28 10:18 AM

Many Thanks

In fact, I have spoken to LNB trailers and they told me that fitting a scooter rack is straightforward on this model and that the rear axle maximum loading (2400kgs) is quite sufficient. I will be taking the van to a weighbridge, to get all the weights required to complete the on line evaluation of what weight is safe/legal to hang off the back.

I do realise that the overhang is going to be the key, however!

Cheers

It's not just the rear overhang you need to consider but the extra length and the drop in height which will come from adding such a heavy lump.

The scooter rack and all of the reinforced metalwork required for adding a tow system to this type of van may add 100kg; you then need to add between 105-125kg for the bike. Take those weights and add them to the rear of an already stretched van then you may find that your axle needs to cope with an extra 270-300kg of weight and a few inches lost in van height - and that's when the serious issue begin.

Hi, Andrew

I looks to me like there would be a need to add rear suspension assisters. All in all, it is not going to be a cheap process!

On reflection, maybe just going with 2 fold up electric bikes in the "garage" is a better solution.

Ian

I carry a 130kg scooter in the garage, 1m behind the rear axle. My rear axle also has a permissible rear axle load of 2400kg. When loaded, I am close to the max rear axle load.

If I placed the scooter on a rack, say 3m behind the rear axle, this would add a further 70kg to the rear axle. Even more, when you consider the weight of the rack, estimated at 50kg.

Think a couple of electric bikes stored in the garage is the only feasible option, as you suggest.

Great choice of MH but perhaps best for towing a car or trailer. I’d tend to go with scooters in the garage as the long overhang might make the pendulum effect too much. I bought a brand new Witter towbar from Autotrail and it’s still unused in its box.

Thanks to all, for the advice and experience.

We have decided to simply go with 2 fold up electric bikes. The costs and complexities involved with a scooter/rack - together with the other issues highlighted - make it an unattractive option.

I do not wish to pull a trailer - if I can avoid it - so will not go down that route unless we have to.

Again, thanks to all for advice. It just shows how valuable these forums can be!

Ian

IMP - 2019-11-29 9:24 AM

Thanks to all, for the advice and experience.

We have decided to simply go with 2 fold up electric bikes. The costs and complexities involved with a scooter/rack - together with the other issues highlighted - make it an unattractive option.

I do not wish to pull a trailer - if I can avoid it - so will not go down that route unless we have to.

Again, thanks to all for advice. It just shows how valuable these forums can be!

Ian

The weight of a Trailer AND our Yaris would have put us over the towed weight limit on our 2012 Savannah, So an A frame it HAD to be, we had no intention of touring on the Continent so the A frame problems of towing over there didnt affect us. We have now downsized to a PVC which we are very happy with. Glad you have found YOUR compromise ( its all about compromises anyway) hope it all works for you.Good Luck.

Archived