battery care

Guest neil whiting

Guest neil whiting
can anyone please tell me if it is bad practice to keep a motorhome plugged in to the mains when at home ,is this good or bad for the leisure batterys .many thanks neil

Guest David Powell
I believe it should be left on when it is freezing conditions. Yes? No? I do just in case!

Guest Robert Peffers
The battery's chemistry is such that it starts to deteriorate as it discharges. It is thus better to insure it is stored fully charged. However the leisure battery is designed for deep discharge and it actually helps to occasionally discharge it and then fully recharge it again. I use a time switch at home when the vehicle is connected to the mains and this comes on for about 1/4 of an hour in every 24 hours. Aefauldly, (Scots for honestly), Bob.

I should have mentioned that Halfords do a, "Battety Maintainer". This little unit is about 2X2X2 inches and, when connected to a battey, automatically maintains it at a proper full charge. Don't forget, though, that the vehicle battery also deserves the same treatment while the vehicle is stored. Aefauldlie, (Lowland Scots word for honestly) Bob.

Archived