bike carrier

Guest Penny

I need to carry a bike and as I already have a towing bracket fitted to my 'van I am thinking about having one that fits onto that. Fiamma did one but it has been dis continued-I may be able to track one down. Has anyone experience of using one or have they been discontinued as the aren't good?

Bike racks that fit onto the towbar are far superior. You don,t have to compromise the body of your motorhome to fit it! Keep looking (as will I)

Guest peter goddard
We use a Pendle cycle carrier on both of our family cars. The bracket fits between the tow bar and the tow ball, then two carrier arms fit into the bracket. The advantage of this system is the ability to fit several vehicles with brackets and only buy one set of bars. We have used this system for several years with no problems. The only down side, you may have to fit an additional number plate as this system may hide the original. www.pendle-bike.co.uk

Guest David Powell
You can not get your 'fully clad' Goldwing on the 'towball' type Clive. No matter how young you feel. Sorry I missed you at the show. I did look, but no Snowgoose. Yes that system is very good, easy off when not in use. TOWSURE have them.

Researched tow ball mounted systems for some time and opted for a Thule. Go to www.thule.co.uk. They have an extensive range of tow ball mounted brackets.

bike racs fitted to tow balls are illegal in some countries - forget just which ones now, but think its Spain, Italy & Portugal One of them does not allow Bikes on the tow bar(A frame bit) of a caravan Also there are limits as to the amount of rear overhang Spain & Italy state 10% of vehicle length - Have heard of people being pulled in and had to remove the bikes in Spain Pportugal has a max overhang of 45cm regardless of vehicle length We shortened our three bike 60cm to 45cm I drilled out the rivets holding the inner rack then removed the base & cut 15cm of each leg, replaced the base into the main frame them marked and drilled new fixing holes Result a 45cm rack for two bikes Definitely chack out the rules for the countries where you intend to travel befroe you commit yourself

David, Goose was flying some of the time. Us and the rest of the crew were very close to the yellow gate. in the gate 5 feet and turn the left into the corral. OK Perhaps we will see you at York? Oh yes, "Harley is 90CC" as is hers and the two of them are on a home made aluminium trailer. I have plans for a BIG 128 CC motor! Regards C.

Archived