biodiesel "veggie oil!!!!"

Guest mark

I am considering running our hymer 544 91 on biodiesel as i know of somebody who has used veggie oil mix for several years with no probs !! I have not bumped into this person for a while so i be grateful to any one who could advise me of websites to go to for info.The cost of filling our van up has increased approximately thirteen pounds in the last two years ,so with this increase i think it may be wise to look into this for green matters as well as my shrinking pockets!!!! thanks mark

Guest Clive
If you want to watch the pennies then forget bio diesel. Our local supermarket Tesco sell both Low Sulphur and some with 5% bio diesel. The Bio diesel blend costs a penny or two more a litre. Guess what, they don,t sell much of it! You would think that if the government wanted us to use it they would reduce the duty to make it more attractive. So I guess that all this green talk by politiciants is .-.- .-. .- .--.

Guest Andy D
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html if you want to make your own. http://www.rixbiodiesel.co.uk/ has a list of stockists for it.

Guest Peter
I don't know why but bio-diesel is available in Northern Ireland at a price of 70p per litre (approx), why it is over priced here maybe someone else knows.

Guest David Powell
Not so long ago there was a man who collected used frying oil from fish & chip shops and made his own. As far as I can remember, it all went wrong when the TAXMAN found out.

Latest news says that a litre of Unleaded has broken the 90p a litre barrier.... Running a Motorhome has slowly been getting more and more expensive.Bring on the Rape-seed oil,chip fat,peanut butter,japanese whisky(don't like it anyway) anything that burns and costs less than Petrol (2 Litre Talbot to keep purring !) is fine in my book,I don't mind paying FAIR TAXES,but I object to HIGHWAY ROBBERY,I don't care if it IS the fault of the Chinese !! If we all did it they couldn't lock us ALL up.......could they ??

Guest David Powell
Yes Ray...Just topped up for the Malvern Show at Morrisons, what a fright, their unleaded petrol is now three times the price of their autogas. So I will be converting to LPG, and have a domestic gas tank fitted at the same time. Bottled LPG works out about £2 per Ltr. autogas 29.9P per ltr. It can cost more elsewhere, that is Morrisons price. It won't do the second hand prices of our motor homes any good either.

just returned from a trip to the south of england and the cheapest diesel i found was 92.9 p per litre and up to 96.9 p per litre . The person i knew used to use part veg oil part diesel i cant remember the percentage of each , and has been doing this for a number of years with no mechanical problems. At almost a pound a litre i am surprised that hauliers etc are not in uproar and blockading roads as they would be in France !!!! Maybe its just another thing us brits are going to shrug our shoulders and live with ! My quest for veggie power continues ! thanks

My guess is that the people that organised the 'Fair deal On Fuel' Protests that were so succesful a couple of years ago, Have been 'Leaned On' by the 'Powers that be',or is that just 'conspiracy theory' (I Don't think so). Whatever!! we are all being 'Stuffed'. I say Let the Fuel Revenue Guys 'go Whistle' I just wish I had a diesel,It would be 'Frying Tonight' just need a decent filter that stops the Batter from clogging up the injectors He He !!!

remember when diesel was cheaper than petrol? many motorists changed to this option and slowly the price crept up. same will probably happen with lpg eventually, along with 25% tax on " pre-owned " fat from chip-shops !!!! happy chappy berti

Guest Mike C
Whats all this talk of cheap diesel at 92p and 96p per litre. Have just paid 99p (thats £4.50 a gallon!!!!) for diesel at motorway services on A74M. Scottish TV News, diesel at £1.02 per litre!! This is getting beyond a joke, think I will buy a horse to tow the Motor Caravan. Is there a fuel duty on Hay? Geeting angry now, Mike C.

I would be interested for an answer to the original question which was "will biodiesel do the engine any harm?" I came accross biodiesel in Germany on the next pump to ordinary diesel. Bio was about 10c per litre cheaper but I was reluctant to try it because I did not not know if it would have any detrimental effect on my engine. I did notice that all of the buses in the town had large signs to say that they ran on bio. Brian

Guest Mike C
Hello Brian, To answer your question, Bio Diesel should not damage the engine. I have been running vehicles (2 cars and a motor caravan) for 3 years on Rix Bio-diesel without any detrimental effect and the performance is as good if not slightly better than ordinary diesel. I believe that Sainsburys low sulphur diesel is also in effect Bio-diesel. Regards, Mike C.

Archived