black smoke but no power loss on x250

rogermash

After a very low mileage year, 3500 miles the van is emitting black smoke under heavy acceleration or hill climbing. There is no loss of power, but sustained 80 mph, and tank additives have failed to improve it. My local garage is looking at it tomorrow. Their over the phone guess was either an intercooler pipe or the EGR valve. This an 07 x250 120 with 35000 on the clock.What is the EGR valve and should I start saving?

Black smoke is not a symptom of an EGR problem if it is not accompanied by a reluctance to rev up and very uneven idling.

This is more likely to be either a hole in a turbo pipe or the intercooler. Both are pretty easy to diagnose. A blocked air filter can also cause this.

Nick

Lets hope that's all it is. I had a similar problem with my Nissan x trail. The garage dealing with it found a problem with the intercooler and replaced the whole unit at a cost of around £700. The problem didn't go away so the mechanic 'plated' the EGR valve and thereby blocked it off. This only cost around £30 and did the job. I'm not suggesting this could be the same issue as they are two entirely different cars but I thought i'd post it to give you the benefit of my experience.

Archived