brittany "are they safe"?

chris

Guest chris
hi could you please tell me if it is safe to leave our van on the aire d service stations in brittany while we walk into town or villages ,do we need to worry or are they quite safe?also ,does anyone know of any municipal sites,in the normandy /brittany area as i believe these are normally near to towns and villages. any information would be very much appreciated.we are going in may/june. thanks chris.

Through bitter experience nowhere in Europe can be described as "safe" However I have been going to Brittany for many years and are in the process of moving there to live. Personally I have never felt "uncomfortable" about leaving the motorhome and there is no doubt that crime in this region is much less than say in some southern areas. Have a great time,be sensible and don't worry too much.

there are lots of municipal sites, all convenient for towns / villages and generally well looked after. if you have a camp guide they usually have 'CM' [camping municipal] before the site name. enjoy yourselves and don't forget the crepes, cidre and calvados!

Guest Derek Uzzell
Chris: If you search the forum on "aires de services" (omit the quotes) you'll come across plenty of stuff on 'safe' parking and French municipal campsites.

Guest Clive
Your camper parked in a rural Camping Municipal is probably a lot safer than your handbag would be left in your locked hotel room at a "resort".

We have used Aires in small villages and beach parks in Brittany for years without any problems, leaving the van while we shop or spend the day on the beach, however we would never leave it unattended in larger towns either abroad or in this country. You have to pick your spots, hope for the best and get on with living. We have friends who have not been away for years, just in case the house was broken in. The van can give you freedom, grasp it with both hands while you can.

Archived