calling all lady campers!

Guest christine

Guest christine
hi ladies, i am going to brittany in october this year and i need some help and info from all you ladies that have been before in october.is the weather o.k in october,do you have trouble getting sites especially small sites and municiples? or are a lot of them closed.hoping to get down into the south of brittany,can you recommend any good sites within walking distance of a village or town ,or places and antique fairs etc.my hubby reckons i won,t get any answers on the subject of brittany,so come on ladies don,t let me down.LET,S PROVE HIM WRONG! KIND REGARDS CHRISTINE.

Benodet on the South coast of Brittany is a pleasant place but in October i THINK YOU WILL NEED TO BE PREPARED with a couple of jumpers etc. I normally go in July and August so can't help there but just proving that there is a good response from the Ladies. From Roscoff you would get there in under 2 hrs.

Hello Christine, We have travelled through Northern France in late Sept early Oct. Lots of sites will be closed but there are some open all year. There are plenty of Aires. Some free some make small charge & some even have electric. I would go prepared for chillier evenings ie a warm jumper & trousers/jeans for evening & take warm jammas. Dont forget the rain gear. Well you did ask. Daytime can be warm enough to sit outside but dont forget the evenings are also closing in. We may be going over in October as well. Not sure yet. We use our Motorhome all year round. Trixie

Guest Ruth Uzzell
Agree with the other ladies about the need for a range of clothes to cope with good or bad weather conditions. Brittany relies heavily on summer tourism and many campsites will be closed by October (particularly coastal ones). www.campingfrance.com is a useful website that provides details of campsite opening periods, though there is always the risk of inaccuracy in this respect. We've stayed twice at La Ferme Fleurie within easy walking distance of LOCMARIAQUER and the beach. The site is quite small, caravan-oriented (no motorhome waste-water drain point) and is very quiet out of season. Good restaurant (opening hours a bit variable I recall) and small supermarket in Locmariaquer itself. Also an authorised camping-car 'stop-over' area right by the beach that's usually heaving in high season but should be OK in October.

Guest christine.
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES LADIES!,my hubby is sulking already,he reckons we are all ganging up on him.your info is all very helpful,i,ve got fleecy jamma,s so i,ll be o.k.although i would prefer nice sunshine.the sites sound nice you recommend so thanks ladies ...and please keep the replies coming . christine.

I,ve been called an old woman on the odd occasion, My advice for October would be HEAD SOUTH and stop when you can sea the Med! Its a tad chilly up north at that time of year. But enjoy it, whatever you do.

Clive you may be an "old woman" but Christine asked for ladies; sorry to disillusion you but you don't fill that bill. Docted PS What is this all about Christine this is sexless forum.... At least thats what my wife tells me.

Guest Linda (Barries partner)
Now that we women have commandeered the forum !! are there any of you who are Coeliacs (cant eat anything with gluten in)? and manage without those lovely smelling baguettes? If so I could do with starting up a recipe swop shop to assist with juggling on two burners and/or knowledge of where to get gluten free items. My nearest stockist in the France area we frequent is apparently La Rochelle does anyone have knowledge of more please. Thanks for sharing your forum space Christine Linda

Guest CHRISTINE EVANS
Hi Linda Hubby has IBS and we did the york test to find he is intolerant to gluten but more concerning is his intollerance to yeast. He cant have any beer or wine when we are abroad anymore. Also on his list is moules and prawns, almonds, pistachios and mustard? Since doing the test he has improved. As we were suspicious of gluten last year we took a supply of gluten free crackers with us so that he could have cheese and pate at least. A lot of the supermarkets in France have a special diet section and we usually top up with items there. He has a very strong willpower and can live without bread. If that was me I would have to go to the North Pole to avouid baguettes because I LOVE THEM. I have Doves gluten free flour but you cant make bread without yeast so pastry and cake is the next best thing for him. We buy sodabread from Tesco as a bit of a trEAT. dONT KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY INTERNET ORDERING SITES THAT MIGHT HELP. nOT MUCH USE SORRY BUT JUST SHARING A PROBLEM WHICH i SYMPATHISE WITH YOU. cHRIS

Guest Linda (Barries partner)
Goodness that sounds worse than mine - I can put up with no shop brought cakes but NO WINE in France must be grim. I will moan no more & console myself with glass and a few chocolates!! If he is really finding gluten helps then be catreful with any sauces etc as they have hidden gluten. Seriously thanks for the info I have only found one French Order site which is mostly bulk buy which is not really suitable for our little Symphony spaces. Keep smiling & camping x

Hi Linda, fancy having a sexist forum, nice to see the ladies having a go. I can't get Thelma to use the keyboard but as the question of Coeliac was brought up will put in two pennyworth on her behalf. She has been confirmed Coeliac for 5 years and was most upset at the thought of missing out on all those nice cakes when travelling through France. We carry sufficient gluten free bread and mix to last the trip but the big problem was trying to refresh the bread without a microwave. After a lot of experiments found that if we put a couple of slices in a plastic food bag, tied it tightly then put it in a saucepan and boiled for about three minutes it was equal to the microwave. We find that by buying fresh produce and cooking it ourselves we can manage meat and three veg without any problem on two burners. Once a week we bake fresh bread buns in the oven using yorkshire pudding tins (makes 4 in each tin) Its still a big temptation when passing the bakers but can settle for a large chocolate covered merangue Ray on behalf of Thelma

• 2 weeks later...
It just shows, men can't keep their hands off anything, not even a linke for ladies only! Or is that they can't keep their hands off the ladies themselves!!!! Ooo la-la!

Guest christine
WE WISH! ha ha.they do nothing but rabbit on on the sites[ about somat and nought usually]i call them the elders as everything is a drama or huge crisis and usually takes the full day to sort out. like why they can,t get a picture on the telly .not that they should worry when they have all us luvly ladies with em.it,s a good job we love em .maybe they get withdrawel symptoms when they get home cos there,s no elders meetings.so they gatecrash our girly chat.by the way ladies we have decided to go to france sept as well as oct with you saying it,s a bit cold in oct .so thanks for the info i would have got me death of cold in my kini.ha ha .regards christine.

Guest barrie/lindas LESSER half
re sept / oct in france christine. it depends on how far south you go,we have spent september on the med coast & it was really warm & sunny,skinny dipping,warm sea etc. the summer season for the various traders seems to finish after the second week of sept,all temporary buildings seem to disappear.gets very quiet & peaceful.we stayed at the site at st marie plage.good facilities if i remember with secluded pitches & a gate staight onto to the beach.good beach walks in both directions from the site. site shop was closed but others nearby. the pool was still open though. we spend time at a cottage near la rochelle & have enjoyed october there a few times,shorts & tee shirt weather but can get cold at night.i wouldn't recommend the atlantic for a dip though it's b***** cold at that time of year. sorry a mere male has taken up space !!!

Christine If you intend to use sites with electric hook-up make sure you put an electric blanket in your camper - we find one meant for a small double or a single bed sufficient. It doesn't take long to warm up and you can go to bed lovely and toasty! Also, if it's a bit chilly you can leave it on low overnight and turn it up in the morning to thaw out.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Christine G
I agree with Benodet, also Quimper is probably easier to visit tha time of year.we went in August too busy. October can be nice in southern England so Southern Brttany has an even better chance.Go for it

Archived