cambelt change..how often and when?

tonyg3nwl

Perhaps Nick might care to offer comment..

I have been told that belt should be changed at x miles or 2 years on fiat x250..

since motorhomes are usually very low mileage compared to white van man, why 2 years, is this just to boost Fiat income, or is that too cynical..

what is a reasonable cost for the job, and is 2 years stupidly short.

I know it is a disaster if it breaks, but how likely is that bearing in mind relatively low mileage.

any comments, advice please.

tonyg3nwl

My friend has a 12 year old Frankia with a 2.8JT with approx 70000 miles on clock. 3 weeks ago his timing belt/tensioner broke and absolutely ruined engine. Garage has located a re-built engine which is being installed. 4 years ago belt etc was changed and he has travelled 10000 miles since.. In February his garage notified him van was due MOT so he put it in and then due to work left country for 2 weeks. Garage contacted him with apologies but MOT not due so he got them to service vehicle. On his return he was going throuigh all his post etc and only scanned first page and filed documentation. On second page was an advisory warning that cam belt was due replacement.

Estimated cost is £7k.

The choice is yours.

John

My MINI and Berlingo (same 1.6 engine) were changed at 100k miles according to the service schedule. The MINI dealership thought the mini engine had a cam chain and advised me it never needed changing... Luckily I found out the mini had a belt on the Berlingo forum.

On our KonTiki we sold a couple of years ago we changed it at 5 years , they was only 32k Miles on clock when we sold it, you don't want to risk waiting until it goes itself the damage is very costly as our Son found out on a car he had just bought two weeks previously. We had a mechanic that used to come out and do our service it was a lot cheaper than a garage.

Long periods of idleness in storage cause particular sections of the timing belt to rest on the tensioners, which stresses them. Best not to exceed the recommended time intervals between belt changes, regardless of how low the mileage might have been.

tonyg3nwl - 2015-08-18 8:01 PM

Perhaps Nick might care to offer comment..

I have been told that belt should be changed at x miles or 2 years on fiat x250..

since motorhomes are usually very low mileage compared to white van man, why 2 years, is this just to boost Fiat income, or is that too cynical..

what is a reasonable cost for the job, and is 2 years stupidly short.

I know it is a disaster if it breaks, but how likely is that bearing in mind relatively low mileage.

any comments, advice please.

tonyg3nwl

Where, oh where did you hear such nonsense? 2 years??

On 2002 to 2006 Ducato's the 2.8JTD engine required a belt every 72,000 miles or 4 years; whichever came first. The 2.3JTD was 144,000 miles or 5 years.

On all 2.3 engines since 2006 the stipulation has been 120,000 miles or 5 years.

The belt must be changed along with a tensioner and an idler. The water pump should be checked at the same time and if found not to be leaking and the pump pulley moves freely it can be left alone.

For the basic job without water pump I would say that around £350 plus VAT is reasonable. It is not a DIY job. You should negotiate a reasonable price for a franchised dealer to do it and enjoy the guarantee that this comes with. You will find that dealers that are also truck agents will offer the best prices.

We do ours at 150,000 miles which is what they have normally done after 3 years. That is my choice; not a recommendation.

Don't believe everything that you are told. There are a lot of 'experts' around but the wisest one is the booklet that came with your vehicle.

N

Thanks Nick,

it was local fiat man that suggested the short time period, but maybe he was short of a bit of work.

my van is on 09 plate and service record is obviously not complete, gaps in the book. (Prior to purchase)

No record on fiat records show belt changed, and 26k on clock,

so guess based on 5 year figure I should bite the bullet to be safe.

tonyg3nwl.

Although on an 09 plate, the base vehicle could be up to two years older, as Moho builders buy in stock and then work on them at their own pace. The build date will be in your blue Fiat folder with the service booklet. It will also be on a plate under the bonnet, but using a code.

Hi folks, dont panic,

mine is now booked in for 2 weeks time, and am now confirmed that correct duration for my vehicle is indeed 5 years or 70000 miles.

Cost quoted 325 include vat and tensioner bits if required..can easily be done in a day, get it there by 0830..

Tonyg3nwl.

Guest mikethe bike
You should ALWAYS change the tensioner bearings along with the belt, as they are probably more likely to fail than the belt.

Archived