campervan insurance

Mark Wilkes

Hello all, please can anyone suggest an insurance company for our 2007 Citroen relay camper van. We were insured with camptons but they have now sent us a letter saying that their company are not now covering certain areas of the country anymore and ours now falls into that category. We do under 8000 miles a year and it is registered as a disabled vehicle and the tax is paid by disability for my wife. Please bay anyone suggest a good company. Thank you in advance.

We have been with Safeguard for 15+ years. Have had two claims handled well in that time. I always ‘shop around’ at renewal time but they are always competitive. Their premium includes comprehensive breakdown cover both for the UK and Europe. We have used that service twice in the UK during the 15+ years.

Cattwg :-D

2 possible options, Mark

Try Mobility to See if they will inform you who they use for the Motorbility scheme.

Another possibility is Fish Insurance. I used them for a private WAV, where cover included a replacement WAV, in the event of breakdown. Don't think they would cover for a replacement motorhome, but a more suitable vehicle than a standard car.

Cattwg - 2018-11-14 5:35 PM

We have been with Safeguard for 15+ years. Have had two claims handled well in that time. I always ‘shop around’ at renewal time but they are always competitive. Their premium includes comprehensive breakdown cover both for the UK and Europe. We have used that service twice in the UK during the 15+ years.

Cattwg :-D

We had insured three motor homes over a period of 14 years with Safeguard. They were happy to insure us when we moved to France as we have kept the UK registration at our UK address. In October we realised no payment had been taken from our bank account and on ringing Safeguard were informed that they no longer automatically renew policies and it turned out we were in France with an uninsured vehicle and had been for a few weeks.

The big problem came when they said it would be no problem to renew it immediately after they ran through the legal questions - alarm bells at UK driving licence question as we now hold French driving licences as we spend more time here than the UK. Insurance refused! After calling several companies who all said the same thing we finally found one that would cover our van with unlimited time abroad ( even Safeguard have a time limit for trips abroad) - for three times the price. Always worth checking the small print I guess.... :-S

thank you all for your suggestions, we have gone with one sure. they gave us the best price but all of the companies we rang all said that if we had a second vehicle it would be a lot cheaper and also if we didn't live in the bl4 area as a lot of companies are not insuring this area.

Archived