cash deal

Guest James

Go to . Then look for your selected model in the used section - there will be several for sale. Compare with your sticker price and prepare to be astonished. And you'll typically get 8% to 10% off this dealer asking price there. Then ask yourself 'Why not send for Mel's 'How to Buy Abroad' information?' If you really must buy in the UK, start at about 10% or so off and see if you can agree. If not, walk away. There are plenty of 574s around. I even suspect you could get a new 574 from Germany for around this UK asking price . . .

Guest Brian Kirby
Problem is, James, not so many firms are keen on cash deals. If you take out a credit deal, the seller gets a commision from the credit company. If you pay him cash, he gets nothing extra to the price, so he somewhat lacks the incentive to offer a really good discount. Unless, of course, you pay him in used tenners and he can "loose" part of the price somewhere. But then, you would'nt want to deal with a fly boy like that, would you? He disappear as soon as you were round the corner! :-) Mel's idea is much safer, and it works. Happy hunting Brian

Guest Mel B
You could of course buy privately, I'm sure private sellers would be only too happy to accept cash! You can still get the vehicles checked out and get extended warranties if you really want but could end up with a really good deal that way. But make sure you check out any purchase properly and aren't persuaded to let go of your common sense by a tempting price.

Guest Mel E
Problem is that, these days you have to give a Bank about 72 hours' notice if you want to withdraw that much cash. And then paying that much in can be a problem because of money laundering rules!

Guest Mel B
If you're seller uses the same bank as you though you can do a transfer of funds from your account to theirs, we've done this in the past, for smaller amounts admittedly, but the principle is the same, I'd just make sure the bank is aware that you're going to be coming it to do it so that they can let you know what checks, if any, they want to do (ie take your passport etc).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest enodreven
Hi, It will depend on the time of year ? if they are selling well you proberbly won't get any disscount, if you wait until say Oct?Dec then i would expect around 5% off a used vehicle and 10% off a new one. as someone said if you are up for a LHD try Germany, i did look into buying there myself and you can save quite a fair amount, the main problem that stopped me was not being able to obtain fully comprehensive insurance for the return trip, it would have been OK as soon as i reached the UK but to drive 40000 back across europe with only third party (the european minimum) insurance my nerves wouldn't stand it ??

Archived