cats!

Guest henry

Hi Henry There has been some entries already about cats because I asked the same question a short while ago. Try a search of cats. As a qualified behaviour therapist I know that cats are very territorial. They like to mark their territory by weeing and pooing. This is usually in the garden but also in trays for indoor cats. Most cats like to have at least some territory all to themselves so I would not be concerned about travelling with one cat - and indeed I plan to do so. A motor home may not be sufficient "territory" for two or more cats though. I know that there are some people out there travelling very successfully with a cat and they have given their views previously in the forum. good luck Pat

Guest Norma
While on a French site our 'neighbour' had a catflap and ramp rigged up to the lower bunk window. The cat seemed able then to have access to the outside as it saw fit. Made sure our dog stayed on the otherside!

Guest ALAN G
Your cat will give you all the information you need. One cat travelled with us happily for many years. Although he made a lot of noise at first[he had a siamese streak in him]he soon got used to the motion. Sedatives on a regular basis are a bad idea as they seem to make the cats over reactive. He stayed in the van all the time....for up to two weeks...slept in the kids sleeping bags [to their annoyance]and jumped down on to my stomach in the middle of the night to use his litter tray. Never found a way of dissipating the smell!! After several hundred miles away he was always up and ready to leave the van by 1/2 mile from home. And couldn't wait to get back to his old haunts. Great fun to have around. Harnesses and leads are useful but not foolproof. We did lose ours a couple of times....and got him back. But he was very timid in strange places and not easy to coax back to the van. Be prepared to make a quick grab. If your cat is happy travelling ie it stops yelling after 30 minutes, let it make a home wherever it wants. Your idea of where it should be is unlikely to be popular. Make sure it can easily get to its toilet tray. Ours wasn't too popular weeing in mother in laws hat one night. Our last cat wouldn't even get into the van on the drive...even without the engine running.

Guest David Powell
Yes Alan, it is the Siamese in him that makes him travel well. We always had a pair of Siamese over the years,until recently,[Not the same pair, they went and were replaced as age dictated] Always loved travelling. Our eldest daughter is also a cat person, and has had a pair of her own over the years since she married and left our home. Again the Siamese travel well. Their little brain works more like a dog, one favourite person, play games like retrieving, come when called, sit when told etc. Have their loo box in the shower tray, BUT sleep where 'they' want. But I know from other cat owners, the every day British cat is unpredictable, so there you are Henry, if your cat is your normal British cat, you will only find out as time goes by. I think to most cats, the starting of an engine means "VET"

Guest henry
many thanks for the replies, never thought of doing a 'search' !!!!!!!!! sorry if I am a pain ours loves jumping into the van and travels well sleeps when able in the over cab bed! regards Henry

Archived