charges for dogs

old scot

Hi All, being a grumpy miserable and tight old git, I'm getting very annoyed at sites charging me £3-£5 a night per dog when I book. I can't understand why, there's nothing provided for dogs, all walks are off site and nothing provided for the charge..is it just me being a tight wad?

old scot - 2021-10-12 11:13 PM

Hi All, being a grumpy miserable and tight old git, I'm getting very annoyed at sites charging me £3-£5 a night per dog when I book. I can't understand why, there's nothing provided for dogs, all walks are off site and nothing provided for the charge..is it just me being a tight wad?

Seems to be fairly standard now on sites. It seems to have crept in more since the lifting of restrictions and more people are doing a 'staycation"

The only ones that don't seem to charge are the CL sites - which we use a lot

Yes, totally agree. This arbitrary charge for dogs is unreasonable and unfair.

As the OP says, a lot of sites make big claims for their "dog friendly" facilities, then they charge for letting us use it.

Went to one site, booked by phone, it might have been (better not say in case I get done for slander) and when we got there they wanted to charge £11 a night for our two little Cavalier King Charles, not sure if that was each or for the two. I asked if that included food and what else did they do for the charge and the receptionist thought I was being unreasonable. Had strong words, she bought out the manager who could only say "that's company policy". So we went somewhere else and they lost out on the income from our whole stay and I shall never go back to that site.

Next sites will start charging for air. 8-)

When I bought my pedigree Labrador in 1981 he cost me £90.00. In todays money that would be £400.00.

A friend's son has just had to pay £2000.00 for a labrador!

That is why dogs are being stolen all the time now ....... And that is probably why campsites are charging more for dogs.

Jeremy

Neither the C&CC or C&MC charge for dogs on their sites so maybe its time to avoid the private sites which do charge...

C&CC "At The Camping and Caravanning Club we welcome canine companions on all of our Club Sites. Bring your four legged friend along for no additional fee..."

C&MC "...all our Club campsites allow dogs to stay with you on site at no extra cost."

Keith.

We have two dogs and I feel resentment when a campsite wants to charge for their stay - but it’s not unreasonable to charge for dogs using the site if the site owner wants to so I don’t see that arguing that the site doesn’t provide dog-specific facilities holds much water. If you don’t want to pay for dogs it’s perfectly reasonable to say so and take your business elsewhere but I doubt if that will have much impact given the high demand for campsite due to COVID staycationing.

We stopped on a site in Southsea, myself wife and westie, my friend also stopped himself, wife and three children, we paid more than they did.

I did ask where the dog's play area and swimming pool was located.

Never been back and would have not stopped then but for our friends.

Rip off Britain.

Pete

Keithl - 2021-10-13 11:52 AM

Neither the C&CC or C&MC charge for dogs on their sites so maybe its time to avoid the private sites which do charge...

C&CC "At The Camping and Caravanning Club we welcome canine companions on all of our Club Sites. Bring your four legged friend along for no additional fee..."

C&MC "...all our Club campsites allow dogs to stay with you on site at no extra cost."

Keith.

We've using a C &CC site for a number of years, in the Somerset area.

This year was the 1st time we've been charged £1/ night for our Westie.

I would'nt have minded if the owners put the extra on the EHU or spread that cost out for 2 people, and not charged for the dog!!

We stayed 3 nights and moved on to little cl sites which don't charge, even finding dog friendly hostelries that allow dogs in.

That's what we are doing from now on.

Just can't believe the number of people jumping on the band wagon of getting a little extra during these "Staycation" times.

Thai Bry - 2021-10-13 6:36 PM

Was it a C&CC owned site or just a listed site?

If an owned site then complain to head office as they clearly state "no additional fee". If a listed site then they are free to do what they please.

Keith.

Keithl - 2021-10-13 7:03 PM

Thai Bry - 2021-10-13 6:36 PM

Was it a C&CC owned site or just a listed site?

If an owned site then complain to head office as they clearly state "no additional fee". If a listed site then they are free to do what they please.

Keith.

I think it's a listed site, as technically privately owned and not run by the C&CC.

We've been to other privately owned C&CC sites, and have not been charged.

So I'm not sure, sorry

Archived