cleaning fresh water tank

mikeymay

As we dont drink the tank water we dont sterilise the tank bug we clean it using a litre of cheap vinegar mixed in a 3/4 tank of water drive around for a couple of miles then let it soak for 24 hours or so, then drain it down. I used to pump it through the system to clean the pipes and the water heater if you do that then you will need to clean out the pump filter. People on here have recommended brewers steralising fluids in the past. Whatever you use make sure it safe for use stainless steel as the water heater could be affected. Milton fluid is one steralising fluid that has been named as detrimement to stainless steel.

I use the Puriclean mentioned above once a year for a thorough clean of the tank and pipes. Also use a tablet version every so often when I fill the tank, just to keep things sweet, especially when in hot climates. Never had a bad tummy in 10 years of travels, and we use the tank water for brews, cooking, teeth cleaning etc, but not drinking. Hope this helps.

I've never cleaned the fresh water tank, although I do drain it down rather than leave it for long periods in storage. I sometimes rinse it through when I refill too. The tank is fully enclosed inside the double floor/bottom of the MH, so the darkness in there will doubtless suppress the gowth of any algae or whatever. We've never had any funny taste or smell or discolouration and we use the tank water for cooking and brews etc. Whenever I've had reason to look in through the inspection hole it has looked as clean as a whistle.

If we developed any sort of growth or bad water problem I think I would use Milton at an effective concentration and leave it in there at least overnight before several flushes.

I'm like Ray although I have used Milton powder and Milton liquid quite happily in the past. It depends on what I have available. Usually buy Clean Tabs Puri Water Cleaner and Purifier when passing through an Outdoor activities shop.

Milton has to be used with care because in concentrate form it can damage stainless steel. It will also leave a taste unless thoroughly flushed through.

Will85 - 2014-10-20 4:45 PM

The military survived on their water bottles. It was an offense to keep closed when empty. No cleaners in those days.

Cleaning materials are sold because the public don't understand simple facts. Its a bit like the hose pipe saga !

Will

I'm guessing the military water bottles were not connected to considerable lengths of pipework that can have standing water sitting in them for months on end ! !

Call me a wuss,but just for drinking I'll stick with bottled, either my own, or shop bought.

Archived