clubs

Guest Jackie

Guest Jackie
Hi, We are just about to purchase our first motorhome, and reading the letters on the forum about The Caravan Club I am now in a dilemma about which club to join, does the Camping and Caravan club have a friendlier attitude towards motorhomes? Jackie

Guest Mike C
Hello Jackie, There is no simple answer to your question it depends on how you want to Motor Caravan and whether the majority of time will be spent in the UK or abroad, site stays or wild camping. The Clubs do not have the attitude it is the people who run them and the on-site wardens. In 10 years I have known good and bad on sites belonging to both clubs. Nearly all sites are Motor Caravan friendly, provide MC service points and some even allow access to facilities (free or nominal charge) for emptying waste water etc. They would be stupid to operate a policy against Motor Caravanners which are a growing percentage of the club members. Generally the Caravan Club have more sites with better facilities especially for the disabled. The Camping and Caravan Club seem more flexible in their attitude and provide facilities for a greater range of activities. There is also, of course, the Motor Caravanners Club but I have no first hand knowledge of how good or bad they are. The CC is rightly under attack on this forum at present because of the attitude of the Chairman and possibly other members of "The Board" to the provision of non-club stopovers and facilities in Europe for Wild Camping. This incidentally covers both Motor Caravanners and Caravanners. At other times both clubs have been criticised for their attitude to such items as charging for electricity, booking deposits, charges for early arrival etc., etc. We joined both clubs because this gives us the widest access to sites when needed. Not sure how accurate this figure is but I have read that in surveys approximately 80% of members in both clubs are satisfied with the services provided. Do not let this put you off Motor Caravanning it is a great and very enjoyable pastime. Regards, Mike C.

Guest Peter
Good advice from Mike and two subs for the first year won't break the bank. I can only speak as I find, we are members of the Caravan Club and generally find the sites to be of a very high standard, however it can be difficult to get on in high season and we have a gripe about seasonal bookings taking up space from members who can't then use that (un-occupied) space. We are not members of the "friendly club" but the only friendly greeting we have ever had was on a site in Northern Ireland all the rest have given us the impression that they are doing us a favour by taking our money and giving back as little as possible. As I said speak as you find. Enjoy your new family member.

Guest Clive
We are members of the C&CC club for one reason only. The RAC Arrival scheme. Other than that we find both clubs have sites that are to a very high standard indeed and expect members to be of a very high standard as well. Well, we don,t fall into the latter catagory and our needs with a motorhome are basic. We neigher want or wish to pay for super duper facilities when we don,t want them. Perhaps we are odd? (Comments on the back of a postage stamp please)

Jackie As with MikeC we are in both clubs to provide the widest possible choice but we don't always agree with those who are ELECTED to represent the member's views. Clive Odd? Surely not? Just 'cos you bolt large twigs to the roof of your motorhome doesn't necessarily make you odd. Or does it? We did spot you at Newbury on the Friday afternoon doing just that. You looked so busy (and high up) that I didn't have the heart to interupt you. I intended to chat later in the weekend but, do you know what, the weekend just vanished in no time! It was soon time to head home ready for work Monday morning. Oh, you might not remember what that's like!?! Never mind, there'll be other times I'm sure. Regards Neal

Guest Edward Thomas
Hi Jackie we have just purchased our first motorhome in the last couple of weeks.We have just joined The Motor Caravanners'Club. www.motorcaravanners.org.uk

Guest PeteC
Hi we are members of CC and C&CC we did enquire about the Motor Caravaners but they do not have sufficient Rallies up North to warant paying their fees We go with the C&CC for winter sun rallies And use their insurance (Motor, Personal+ Motor for overseas) We also have the RAC arrival and the deduction off my RAC fees pays the C&CC fee We use the CC & C&CC for home rallies and both for overseas sites We also use Camping Cheques UK when overseas Did try thr International Caravanning Association, but as we could not get on to any rallies (because they didnt like looking after new members on rallies _ we have been campin/ Caravaning/ MHing since the 1950's) So we had tp let them go - as they say

Guest Jackie
Hi All, Many thanks for the replies, I guess we will just try them both for the first year. We appreciate the replies, we were told motorhomers are a friendly bunch! Jackie

Guest Clive
Hi Neil, You should have shouted at me!. Newbury was a bit of a bugger on Saturday afternoon. We had intended to stay until Monday but Saturday afternoon we both went for a ride on our monkey bikes. Janet did a wheelie climbing a kerb and hurt herself upon landing on the concrete. So we packed up, went home to Basingstoke and took her up to the local A&E for an X ray. Well 6 X rays and two visits later and they still say it was only a bad strain / bruise. However for a different reason Janet had an MRI scan later and this included her left shoulder. She had broken a bone. The bit of bone that the tendons join to had pulled off its anchor point. But this is 6 weeks after Newbury and after we had spend June in France - still riding our Monkey bikes, but rather carefully. The shoulder is gradually getting better but some silly sod pulled out of a side road when Janet was riding her car through our village, she positively applied the foot brake, ABS worked and she re-broke her cracked ribs that were healing after comming off the bike on a previous occasion under similar circumstances. Give up her bike?? Not on your nellie! We are looking forward to Malvern and will be going, will you? They have a saying up north, "All the world,s peculiar except you and me, and even you......" Yes, motorhomers are a bunch of individuals! Forwards to the revolution! Regards all Clive

Clive That's some security device; if things get really out of hand does she launch a mounted attack? The Newbury weekend obviously was not so good for you then. I think perhaps Janet ought to be dissuaded from stunt riding; what about a larger, two seater machine? When the flush of youthful stupidity has calmed she could pilot you around. I didn't shout out because I don't like to interupt people when they're setting camp, there's usually a lot to do and it's a challenge for me to remember everything! No, can't make Malvern or any other show this year. So much to do and no time to do it in, as ever. Never mind, we'll catch up with you some time. Must dash, I'm off to show my Matchless at a Vinatge Transport rally this weekend. Regards Neal

Guest Clive
Matchless ? We had a 350 Matchless, a 350 Velocette Viper Clubman, and 150CC BSA Bantam C5, (Hogan Head and "Tuning for speed" mods) and later built a 600CC Ariel trials outfit. Then we grew up, then we suffered withdrawal symptoms, then we had a modern 250 cc 2 stroke twin that was MAD and very bandy and threw me and a mate (wife,s brother) off the back on the first day, so it went. But aparently one can get a Nitrous kit for these Monkey bikes!!! Enjoy

Guest Mike C
Neal and Clive, To save you both being thrown off the site for failure to obey the rules about keeping postings on subject and to link your last postings I once had a three wheel motorhome a BSA Gold Flash with a SWIFT sidecar. Basic sleeping arrangements and no gas or electric. There you go. Regards, Mike C. PS. Have you noticed how many Motor Caravanners are ex-bikers. Why do I need to use a PS?

Archived