connecting two leisure batteries

Guest Ceri

I have two NEW 85 amp leisure batteries to connect up, they will be positioned under both front seats, any suggestions on size of cable to use to connect. Thanks Ceri.

Guest PeteC
Just had to take out my Leisure Bat Its given up working They are fairly hefty wires about the size of those to the van battery Connect them in parallel (unless you are on 24V) That is +ve to +ve and -ve to -ve Worst bit is routing the cables

Guest David Powell
Hi Ceri...have you thought about the gas given off by the batteries while charging under the seats? Are they venting into the 'van? Or are they in safe gas-tight battery boxes?

Guest Derek Uzzell
I guess you will have seen the "Batteries in parallel" query on page 258 of MMM April 2005 and Clive Mott-Gotobed's reply. As far as the between-batteries connection-cable sizes are concerned, they need to be at least the same size as the cables for your existing single battery system, but (within reason) the 'heavier' cables you can fit the better.

Thanks David + Derek for replies. As for your question David i can`t really answer you as yet the van is in storage, do you think this is "dangerous" if the battery is not in a secure box as you mention. The original leisure battery now is under the drivers seat, and i am almost certain it is just put there. My husband was over there this week checking the size and amperage to purchase our 2nd battery, i was there yesterday and noticed he hadn`t put the caseing back on the front of the seat and could see the battery. Our van is a 2003 model i assume this was positioned here by the manufacturer and classed as safe, do you feel by adding the second battery we should be more cautious of the gases you mention ? Our previous van had the leisure batteries under the seats, the previous owner/s had done that tho. Its`s only now you mention it that it`s a cause for concern. Thanks Ceri P.S. By the way are you from Port Talbot, noticed an earlier posting you mention Port Talbot.

Guest David Powell
Hello again Ceri, Why I brought up the subject of having batteries in where you live, and with some concern, was the fact that a 'van of ours some time ago had a battery in the cab. The M.O.T. mechanic strongly advised against having it in there, on the grounds of gas when charging. I remember him saying about the rules when charging a battery in your garage at home:- Well ventilated area, no smoking, no naked flames, and don't lean over the battery when removing the plugs to allow the gasses to escape, or you may breath them in. It was a while ago but I never forgot what he told me as I was youngish at the time, and he was a wiser old man, who actually owned the garage. Since then I have never seen a battery in the living quarters, but perhaps yours is in a proper battery box. Perhaps I sometimes wory too much about other peoples safety. I expect Clive or someone with superior knowledge will come up with the answer.

Guest Derek Uzzell
It's pretty common nowadays to have motorhome leisure-batteries beneath the cab-seats - the current Ford Transit even has its starter-battery located there too. Quite a few motorhome converters are using below-seat gel leisure-batteries, as these require no maintenance and (normally) don't gas when being charged. 'Ordinary' lead-acid batteries installed within the vehicle should be fitted with vent-tubes to carry any gases outside. (See "The Motorcaravan Manual" for more on this.)

Guest David Powell
Hello again Ceri...Well there is the answer...Derek sez:- If they are lead acid, vent the batteries! The answer to your Question about Port Talbot, no I don't live there, I got my TYRESAFE put in there. That is a thing worth considering, no more flat tyres.I live on the outskirts of Swansea.

Hi both and thank you for your replies, I am told the battery is vented through a clear plastic tube off the side of battery ????. Hopefully the new one will be installed before Peterbourgh show. David dont know if you go to the shows, but there is a Welsh show at Carmarthen showground May bank hol weekend 29th April --- 1st May Nice to get one down our way. Was it expensive to get your tyres done Ceri

Guest David Powell
Hi Ceri,,Yes I know about the show it came up on here a while ago and I passed on one or two bits of information that were not on the show web site. We used to have a New Year Rally there with the West Wales Centre every year a few years back, well quite a lot of years back actually, til they put the price up. As for the price of Tyresafe it was a while ago, about £10 a wheel as far as I remember. Just fitted a new set of tyres so will have to pop over to HI-SPEED TYRES soon. A different brand is sold at the shows and you can D.I.Y. but I think my 12V pump would burn out trying to put back 62 P.S.I.

Archived