covenants

Guest graham

Guest graham
I asked advice regarding restrictive covenants some time ago and received useful replies. This has arisen again and I have taken advice from the Caravan Club legal service. They tell me - 1 A motorhome is the same as a caravan within a covenant banning caravans 2. It can be enforced by the neighbours 3. It can be lifted by the S of State but it is likely that neighbours would object and it wouldn't happen.

Guest David
Hi Graham. There is a covenant on the estate where we live. When we moved here about 12 years ago we checked with the Estate agent, he said go ahead and park we had a caravan then. When we had our Motor home first, we parked it on the road. We now p[ark it in the Garden behind a fence and locked high gates, when we approached the Council about the fencing and gates, we told them why. As far as they are concerned as long as the fence and gates are within the by laws, no problem. A Caravan is not the same as a Motor home. One is a towed trailer and the other a motor vehicle. If you have problems over a M/home then what about white vans and people carriers, and other large vehicles that people use. From my window at the moment I can see 6 white vans and a large AA van. No one seems to worry. We are all too busy getting on with our own lives. Good luck. David

Guest graham
Some people do worry. We went to look at a place last week (estate built around 20 years ago) which has a restrictive covenant. The vendor was telling us of someone who had moved on to the estate recently and parked a caravan on the drive. They let it go for 3 weeks , he said, and then had a word with him. Its not parked there now. A similar fate is just about to happen to a chap running a motorcycle business who is bringing the works van home. We won't be purchasing the property but even in a friendly environment neighbours change so I think we will not consider those with these covenants.

Archived