disabled access

ajking

We have just ordered a new motorhome (Lunar Premier H622) which has been adapted for disabled use i.e. hand controls and backbox for the wheelchair) I realise that a motorhome is morer restrictive than a caravan but I feel more able to manage a motorhome than a caravan (we would have to upgraded to a much bigger car as well as a new caravan) My one concern is that we would have to move the motorhome each time we want to explore the area we have 'moored' up to. (sorry, I used to own a narrowboat before I ended up in a wheelchair!) Are their any suggestions from other disabled motorhome owners? e.g. do many sites have close access to buses etc?

Hello Ajking, Many of the sites in the UK have close access to local bus services and for those that do not there is always the option of using a taxi for trips into town. Best to check with the site before booking. If you use the Motorcaravan you have all it's facilities with you (eg. Toilet, fridge, cooking etc.) Using the motorhome really depends on whether the places you wish to visit allow parking. We have not found this to be a major problem and have only found height restrictions on some car parks and very occasionally at supermarkets. Beware those car parks that have restrictions on vehicles too large for a single space, this can lead to a parking fine or clamping in some cases so it is best to check. Do you have a blue badge for parking, if not it is worth applying for one especially as this removes some of the restrictions. We use a large fold up box and just dump all the loose stuff in it and then put this in the washroom, makes getting going a great deal quicker than having to pack everything away. Hope this is of assistance, Regards, Mike Chapman.

Hi ajking, sorry to hear you had to give up your narrow boat, that was one thing about a narrow boat you can park in the centre of any town on the canal, no parking fees, and it has not been broken into when you get back and the tow path is good for the electric disabled scooter. My lock & bridge operater does not want to go with us any more, so I have to stick with the motor home now, he is my Grandson, excellent helmsman for the long boring bits, he is 17 now and deeply in love, so that is that. If you find yourself on a site with no public transport, it does not cost the earth to phone for a taxi, to go out for essentials. Most supermarkets do not object to you parking your motor home provided of course that you buy your food from them. Some have a time limit, but most are OK, but ask first. National Trust gardens, castles, old houses etc, make a good day out and usually have plenty of parking spaces for a motor home particularly if you have your "Blue badge" with you, they do in most cases find you a space. Best of luck with your new motor home.

Hi Mike Thank you for the info. Yes, I do have a blue badge so hopefully that should make things a little easier. I like your tip about dumping the loose stuff in a big box, we call that packing away! :-D regards Alan

Hi Ranger It broke our heart to give up the canals, it was the one thing about retirement we were looking forward to. So we swapped the narrowboat for the Motorhome so we can at least carry on with the 'nomad' lifestyle. You can get 'wheelchair accessible ' narrowboats but they are, in effect, for passengers not steerers. How many times do you need to stand up or look down the sides in an emergency, not possible when you are in a wheelchair, so we decided it was not practicable. So now, instead of waiting four hours to pass through the staircase locks on the Llangollen canal, we now wait four hours to get through the M6 carpark. ;-) many thanks Alan

Ah the delights of llangollan, going to shops and for a pint and coming back to find someone has broke into your boat then set it adrift. But back to your quiry, if you are concerned about having to pack up to drive about, we find it hardly any more dificult than setting off on car journey ,but my only health problem is angina so don't have to stow a wheelchair.

Hi Collin, wondering a bit from the thread, while you are talking about flights of locks, how about the Caen Hill flight on the Kennet & Avon? 16 locks in the main flight and 29 altogether to the top of the hill. Whole days work and have to move in pairs to save water, supervised by a Lock Master on a quad bike. Worst thing about the Llangollan was all the shallows at the llangollan end, plus the wife does not like crossing the aquaduct, too high, 126 feet I think? it makes her feel ill, very ill! You will not have to worry now AJK, just remember when you go alongside another motorhome, do not do it like a narrow boat, they tend to bend. Best of luck on your new venture into motorhomes, hope to see you in a field somewhere some time. cheers for now, David Powell.

We're getting a bit off subject here, but I think the longest single flight of locks is on the Worcester & Birmingham. It certainly seemed so in the rain! Please note that, if you motorhome is new, you should be able to obtain it at a special zero rate of VAT. If second-hand, then the price should reflec t the zero rate VAT paid when it was new. Put simply, it should be about 15% cheaper than similar year and model without the disabled equipment (17.5/117.5=14.9%). Note that this is not VAT-free, but zero rate VAT.

Isn't it amazing how a chance remark can start another thread. It does seem to show there is strong link between the 'wet' canal and the 'dry' road modes of transport. After all they are both an escape. There are some advantages to be disabled e.g. zero VAT, parking, 2 for 1 tickets to theatres and cinemas but, all in all, I would still trade them back for the use of my legs but, as that ain't gonna happen, I will make the best of it as I can and 'wheel' myself, and my wife, around the country! So if you see a new Lunar premier with a wheelchair strapped to the back and an indolent Great Dane with his head stuck out the window, Stop us and say hello. regards Alan

Hello again Alan, before you start on your travels, don't forget to obtain a list of toll bridges which are free for 'blue badge holders' Saves a lot of money, and having to keep cash at the ready. All the best, I will watch out for your Lunar with the wheel chair and BIG DOG, I am a bit better off than you. I just had a few strokes and was put of the road by DVLA for a while, but almost OK again now. Can drive fine but very limited for walking. Got the old Holdsworth Ranger up and running again, new MOT etc. so look out, here we come again, after 10 months off.

Have you checked if the purchase is exempt from VAT? This is not charged on vehicles adapted for disabled use if the driver or passenger receives Disability Living Allowance at the highest(mobility) rate. Not all dealers know this!!!

Actually even the Government web site gives two definitions "Goods and services on which you don't have to pay VAT are often referred to as 'zero-rated' or 'eligible for VAT relief'. In other words, the rate of VAT that is charged on them is zero." and from then refers to "Vat relief" http://www.direct.gov.uk/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/FinancialSupportArticles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=10028495&chk=uUrKhR So there is not too long a linguistic journey from "relief" to "exemption" B-)

Last time I took a narrow boat over that aquaduct I couldn,t get any more than about 3 MPH irrespective of how much throttle I gave the 2 cylinder diesel lump in the back. The wife hid below as she is scared of heights. We seriously considered purchasing a narrow boat but the restrictions on speed and range ended up with us buying a motorhome in stead. Those we have used and enjoyed were hired from Brumagem Boats. C.

Regarding local transport if you are having special adaptations then consider including a way of hanging one of the better mobility buggies on the back. I know they have limited range but should be sufficient to get you to town and back if you chose a goodun. Take the charger and pick sites with mains hookup. If you go to shows I suppose one of those pesky generators could be usefull although personally I can,t stand the continuous noise they make. For special racks etc Newark Vehicle Bodies (Brian Wilmer) are good. My pedestrian mobility is limited so I use a monkey bike as does the Mrs. Petrol power has a bigger range than batteries! Good luck. Nill Carborundum etc.

Hi Roger Yes, I have made sure that the 'home comes with VAT exemption (that was one of the reasons I went for new) I also made sure I had the optionals fitted e.g. aircon, awning etc. ---- Alan ps what does your signature mean?

Hi Clive The distributor is fitting a wheelchair carrier on the back (I think it is probably a bicycle carrier ) inside a box. But I take your point about the power buggie. I believe there is enough room in the 'garage' to take one stripped down. Pardon my ignorance but what is a 'monkey bike'? ----- alan

I recommend getting the relevant VAT brochure and checking what needs to be done to qualify for zer VAT. It is quite specific. My now 4-year-old copy indicates that the vehicle must contain clamps inside for a wheelchair to be fitted, no more than 6 passenger seats, etc. They are now randomly inspecting motorhomes after registration, so it's worth being right here (15% off!).

Hi Mel I have checked the VAT website and I have stripped out the relevant section: 3.2 What does ‘adapted for the carriage of a disabled wheelchair/stretcher user’ mean? A motor vehicle is adapted for the carriage of a disabled wheelchair user if it is: adapted to suit his specific needs; and the adaptation: allows him to enter and travel in the vehicle whilst seated in the wheelchair or on the stretcher; allows him to enter, travel in or leave the vehicle; **enables him to drive the vehicle; or allows a wheelchair to be carried on or in the vehicle.** I believe my circumstances are covered by the ** section** and I have confirmed this with the distributor, who have sold a number of homes to people like myself. The above government extract is quite sexist, isn't it? :-S

Alan A monkey bike is a small wheeled motorbike, they were popular in the 70s I believe and have engines from 50cc to 125cc (if memory serves). The reason I understand they were called monkey bikes is that you look like a right monkey sitting on one of them in that you have to 'fold' yourself up into a monkey type position to ride them ... it has nothing to do with the fact that Clive looks like a monkey and rides a bike ... honest!!!

Have a look half way down the web page below and you will see both George Collings and Dave Hurrell on my Janets Monkey bike. Mine is a little bigger - a pro-monkey" http://www.motts.dsl.pipex.com/Motorcycles.htm Thamks a bunch Mel. C.

Hi Mel I see what you mean! what's it like riding one of those with a 40-tonner bearing down on you! I only wish I could manage a bike, I might be able to be get my legs over the bike and I might get quite a distance but once it comes to a stop I would be totally nackered! (am I allowed to say nackered?) The closest I get to feeling a 'monkey' on a bike is the electric buggy which I've used a few times. Unfortunately you don't get a slipstream effect at 3mph :-D -------

AJ, I think you are allowed to say that word, but doesn't it begin with a 'k' (pedants unite!!)? And what is sexist about the VAT brochure - surely you don't want every government publication altered to say 'his/hers', and him/her' and so on? Makes them even more unreadable than they already are, doesn't it? And, surely sexist is the wrong word - shouldn't be 'genderist' as it has absolutely nothing to do with sex, which is an enjoyable single or cross-gender activity, depending on your predilictions? I really thought we'd got past the 'Chairperson' days and were back to 'Chairman' defined as a person of either gender? Just to inject some facts, the latest figures show that 40% of higher income earners are now of the female gender, and it is forecast to exceed 50% by 2010. I think that's great - I was one of the pioneers of employing more female graduates in my last company. Presumably, when more men are decanted into lower income jobs, the proportions there will also change more rapidly!

Archived