dogs again

Guest henry

Guest Nick Miller
Henry it depends...... The dog's vet insists the validity of the rabies vaccine given to dogs in the UK is two years and signs the passport accordingly.So if dog stays in UK every two years But.. Most Continental vets insist that this is not correct and the life of the vaccine is only one year.I did try this Autumn to get the French vet i use to explain why....''Maybe you have a different vaccine to the rest of Europe??'' So best i think if you are taking animals to Europe you plump for annual vaccinations. This course stops worries when leaving Europe. Defra did not offer a resolution Nick

For France I`d like to confirm its 2 years.For the rest of Europe thats in the Pet Passport scheme its bound to be 2 years also. Gordon.

Guest peter goddard
We came back from France two days ago with our dog, but only just! The vet in France told us that our dog's rabies vacination had run out earlier in the month and confirmed that although it's valid for two years in England (and apparently Belgium) in France it only lasts for one year. He told us that the English control would be no bother but we may get pulled by the French. In the event we didn't but it could have been a big problem.

Me thinks someone is going to have to clarifie this issue. But I have a dastardly plan that worked with us this year,as we did`nt get the dogs done last year as vet said 2 years. In 2003 we got dogs done in november. In 2004 dogs not injected but went on holiday in September.We`re within 1 year yes. This year 2005 got dogs done before going over in September. I realise however to do it again we would have to go hols next year before Sept. I`m sure I have given an idea here. Gordon.

Guest Nick Miller
I have noted that with the European wide Pet Passport scheme now encompassed in a formal understandable document more camp sites, especially municipals, are asking to see the passport.It seems to be the understanding of the French that the vaccination has to be renewed annually and they do look to check that this has been done. At the Municipal,Fresnay s Satrthe the details from the passport are put into your screen on the reception computer.I asked what would happen if the vaccinations did not show an annual boost.Whilst the answer was the usual Galic shrug and raspberry blowing exercise I feel he might have denied me access to the site. So for £30.00 a year i will revaccinate the dog and not have that worry on my mind. Nick

This is a problem that the EU have resolved as follows, according to the British small animal vets assoc www.bsava.com with effect from Oct 2004 The expiry date of the validity of the rabies injection (and therefore the passport) is written in the passport by the issuing/ vaccinating vet. This date will be accepted in all EU countries participating in the scheme. For UK vets using the rabsin vac, the validity is 2 years. My vet gave me the blurb from the manufacturers vaccine box to confirm the 2 year validity. BTW, the vaccine is produced in France!! My dog has been away twice this year to France, in her second year of the vaccine's validity. No problem at all with the 2 vets who did the treatment before returning home, the Eurotunnel or SpeedFerries checkin, or any campsites. Obviously, if the vets can put doubt in your mind, it's more money for them for unnecessary treatment. Call me cynical, but it is valid for 2 years- honest- if your vet says it is.

I have just been told by our vet that rabies vac (Rabisan) is two years in every country except France who insist on one year. Would sooner have it done annually than face a potential beaurocratic nightmare when visiting France. Vet assured me that no harm whatsoever comes to the dog having it done annually.

many, many thanks. We are going along with the intention of havong this done in the next few days in order to keep up with the '1' year plan. I had enough of a near heart attack last time when the vet had difficulty finding the micro chip on one pooch!! 'She' went grey in the face!! regards Henry I love this forum

I can't see why people think you could have a problem with French vets., or French beaurocracy. Many dogs in France do not have the rabies vaccination at all, as witnessed by the long queues at the vets in Miramont last year, following the death of an illegally imported puppy in the area from rabies. If you live in France, you will have to have annual boosters to keep your passport valid, but if your dog is UK based, it is up to your vet to certify the expiry date, and this is the date that is looked at to see if your dog satisfies the UK regulations, to return into the country. As I said before, the French vaccine manufacturers recommend 2 year boosters for dogs, though it's 1 year for cats

Guest peter goddard
We have just been to our vet to check on this problem,see above posting. He checked his MAFF paperwork and the vacination is OK for two years in this country but he has no knowledge of the French law and agrees that the easiest way foreward is to vacinate yearly. This will not harm the dog just our wallet! So long as the vacination is done before the expiry date (English one not French) there will be no need for a blood test.

We had 2 of our dogs re-vaccinated in September (1 year from 1st one), we thought it best to play safe for the sake of £25.00 each one, rather than risk having the monstrous £130.00+ cost per dog if we had to repeat the whole thing from the start. Is it really worth the worry for such a small amount of money???

We are awaiting blood test results for our (new to us) cavalier and were informed at the time she was done that our other dog, who was vaccinated in 2004, is ok for two years. Given this forum debate I have just checked again because if it were annually the first dog would have been due a booster in September - and the advice is that it is valid for two years UNLESS the dog was vaccinated in France by a French vet and then they only date it for one year.

Archived