door mounted waste bin

maldonmole

This is very minor compared to some issues on here but it has 'got under my skin' so I must resolve it!

The door mounted waste bin on our Auto-trail Apache seems incapable of retaining a plastic bin liner. However I try to fix the liner it either falls down or closes up.

I am reasonably intelligent but cannot for the life of me work out how to do it. Even with the front of the liner pushed under the two clips that retain the actual bin to its frame, the back of the liner just flops down.

If anyone can help I will be very grateful as will my wife who doesn't like to hear me swear!!

Hi Martin,

What year is your Apache?

If it's anything like our 2004 (door without window) then the first thing I did when we purchased it was to bin the bin! Every time I tried to shut the door I kicked the bin off its mount and swore loudly (like you).

We now use a small square bin which stands in front of the cooker and takes a carrier bag or small waste bin bag without any hassle.

Keith.

Martin, we have a 2015 AT Tracker. I buy bin liners that have thin long pieces "fingers" on the top I assume so you can tie off when finished. I thread those fingers between the top plastic halo and the rear of the bin then lock the halo down over the front of the bin. Make sure your bin liners are at least as long or longer than the bin. If they are not reaching the inside base they will come out of the halo holder. Only issue we have had is that the top left hand pivot pin broke through the pivot support area. A thin piece of plastic strip screwed over the pivot pin has fixed a poor design. There was not enough support plastic around the pivot. I do think that a bin in the door is an excellent location saves kicking it over as you move around.  Cheers,

Keithl - 2019-03-31 7:15 PM

Hi Martin,

What year is your Apache?...

Keith.

Apparently it’s a 2013 model and I’ve attached a photo extracted from an advert for a 2013 Apache that shows the door-mounted waste-bin.

My previous Hobby motorhome’s door-mounted waste-bin had a hinge-down front and it was practicable to attach a plastic bin-liner securely to the wire frame that the front of the bin clipped on to. My present Rapido motorhome has a shallow fixed bin on its habitation door and the best one can do is just shove a bin-liner into it and then dispose of the liner very regularly.

1693428817_doorbin.png.f0f320b6dc9e45acbb6ea30ceb3b986f.png

On our Hymer, we use a rubber band that works if the bags are large enough. The elastic band is fitted by pulling up from the external bottom of the bin rather than from the top. Sometimes, we will tear the top of the bag to get around the lid mechanism.

Spoke to a German a few years ago and he didn't use any bags. Emptied the bin daily and hosed it clean; he didn't wild camp. A Brit we know has fitted four individual slim kitchen utensil hooks (Command make them) but he reckons two at the back and a laccy band will be enough.He just punches appropriate holes in the good quality bags

Our last Hymer had two bins in a cupboard, one for recycling. Being able to separate and store ordinary and recycled waste in our current van for short periods is our beef.

For the “lisa van queen” video to be accessed it will be necessary to have a Facebook account and (perhaps) then join the Auto-Trail Facebook group.

If the door-mounted waste-bin of Martin’s 2013 Auto-Trail Apache is the same design as the bin fitted to pottypam’s 2014 Imala and Gary’s 2015 Tracker (which sound similar in principle to the bin that was used on my Hobby’s entrance door) there shouldn’t be any great difficulty fitting a suitably-sized bin-liner that remains open and does not fall off the frame. Gary suggests using a liner with handle-ties (fingers) but, if there’s still a problem with the liner detaching from the bin’s frame, a few bits of double-sided adhesive tape wrapped round the frame should prevent this happening.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-04-02 8:16 AM

For the “lisa van queen” video to be accessed it will be necessary to have a Facebook account and (perhaps) then join the Auto-Trail Facebook group.

If the door-mounted waste-bin of Martin’s 2013 Auto-Trail Apache is the same design as the bin fitted to pottypam’s 2014 Imala and Gary’s 2015 Tracker (which sound similar in principle to the bin that was used on my Hobby’s entrance door) there shouldn’t be any great difficulty fitting a suitably-sized bin-liner that remains open and does not fall off the frame. Gary suggests using a liner with handle-ties (fingers) but, if there’s still a problem with the liner detaching from the bin’s frame, a few bits of double-sided adhesive tape wrapped round the frame should prevent this happening.

Ahh didn't realise that Derek, cheers i will remember that for next time

*-) :-D

Jonathan

Archived