double glazing breakdown

Guest patrick winks

Guest patrick winks
back again, I forgot to ask; the double glazing on one of the windows in my 1998 Hymer appears to have broken down. It fogged up about a month ago and although not the whole window is affected I can´t get the fogged part to clear. Has anyone struck this problem and is there a solution.Thanks again.

If its a double glased plastic unit there will be one or two little bungs on the inside. When you get to Spain and on a HOT DRY day with LOW HUMIDITY take out these bungs for as long as its hot and dry. The mist should eventually clear. Then you can replace the bungs. The technical method is to blow dry nitrogen through the window but I doubt if you have this kit on board!. Enjoy

Guest Tony Smith
Hey Patrick. We're right behind you man. You're the living proof that it's not everyone venturing out of the U.K. that ends up being robbed by car park thieves spraying soporific gas through their keyholes, stripped of all their valuables by road pirates or laid low with deng fever as a rsult of using continental squat toilets! It sometimes seems, when reading the motorhome letters pages, that it's more dangerous voyaging on the continent than hanging around outside the average British pub at closing time. Here's hoping that the worst thing that you'll encounter on your trip is a spot of humidity creeping between your double glazing! Let us know when you run out of bread pudding - Adios amigo! Tony

Have had this myself and explained how I cleared it in a post last year, if you search silica gel you will get a return on Seitz windows look at post from Paul. If you require further info I can e-mail you pics and directions.

Guest nick dean
had condensation big time in a caravan window years ago . took out plugs from window put a fish tank air pump via a baked bean can full of silica gel into window and left switched on after a while condensation went as dry air was driven through window worked well and never returned takes a while but fish pump only takes a miniscule amount of power probably a few watts < 5- 10. > so cost is negligeable.

Archived