driveway security

Martin

Can any of you motorhome experts tell me the most secure way of protecting our vehicle from theft whilst on our driveway? Its going to be parked out of sight of passing trafic and wont be moved between trips.Its a 7M long Mobilvetta.

Martin Without talking about alarms and immobilisers you are as well to take a look at physical obstacles to the removal of the van. These would include items like locked gates, barrier posts and wheelclamps. You could also use axle stands and take off one or more wheels, however make sure that the wheels are locked up securely out of site of the van. Remember nothing is 100% thief proof if a professional thief wants something he/she will get it, what you have to do is make it not worth their effort to take what is yours. To buy the products check the adverts in MMM including the small ads. Good luck Docted

Nothwithstanding a low loader then removing a critical component necessary for drive can be effective. Like the engine management Unit for example. Not many people carry one of these with them when out on the rob! In the old days it was the rotor arm! My first thought was to remove the wheels, but if they were intent they would come prepared for this. The downside with having the camper parked out of site of passing traffic is that any thieves can work out of site to prepare your vehicle to be driven away. The upside of course is that they don,t know its there in the first place. A dilema we all have nightmares about I am sure. Where,s that Scotch bottle?

Guest David Powell
Customise it with unusual graphics etc, to make it standout in the crowd, without going OTT of course. Thieves usually steal 'run of the mill' vehicles that don't attract attention.

Guest Bill Ord
Fit a removable steering wheel. They can be fitted to the latest wheels with airbags though you do loose the airbag function. Do a search on the Forum; I think the company is Wyvern Accesories at Shepton Mallet. Price when I phoned a couple of months ago was £350+VAt. Worth it for piece of mind. I have one fitted to my 2001 Fiat based Autotrail as an aid to turning the driver seat but for me it's main purpose is anti theft. Bill Ord

Guest Derek Uzzell
Wyvern Accessories, 7 Whitstone Rise, Shepton Mallet, Somerset, BA4 5QA, 01749 346063 www.wyvernaccessories.co.uk They also sell seat-swivels, lower-height seat-boxes, replacement seats, etc.

The question I always ask when I see vans on site without steering wheels fitted is "How big is the wifes handbag". Or "I bet the wheel is inside the van somewhere anyway". If it allows the drivers seat to swivel then that is a more valid reason to me. BUT Doing away with the main drivers airbag is likely to drop you in it if you sustained a chest injury following an accident and your insurance company were made aware. Just imagine you were impailed by the steering collumn and killed. Would your life insurance pay out to your widow? I don,t think so. Be carefull.

Clive, the 'Snap-Off' type of removable steering wheel has a barrel lock which locks it securely in position and which, when re-locked into the boss of the removed wheel, prevents it being used at all. The lock would take ages to drill out, so it's safe to leave the wheel, loose with lock in place, in the motorhome - obviously not in the open! As to air bags, yes, you have to de-activate them. I personally don't like them anyway!

In my humble talbot I swing both front seats through 90 degrees and fasten them together with a cable lock. This prevents anybody getting near the controls. Cheap method it is!

Mel, Confused and Bewildered here! Thanks for the info about removeable steering wheels. It answers one of my thoughts. How about the Insurance viewpoint though? Are Drivers Air bags likely to become mandatory soon anyway?

A simple additional security measure is to slide the drivers seat fully forward then use a heavy motorcycle chain and padlock to secure the seat frame to the steering columb. Nothing is 100% safe but it may deter the thief.

Archived