ducato speedo display

Hi all , had the fault where warning lights glowed in the speedo. fuel low when cruise control on .sent them to cartronix on wednesday returned friday. i asked if they could fit new dials supplied by lockwood , not a problem.all sorted now excellent product by lockwood and excellent service from cartronix

rsz_20190802_183550.thumb.jpg.af06c681a92d00a97e6d86f2043ef73c.jpg

I don’t think you’ve ever identified the make/model of motorhome you own, but the fact that your photo shows the speedometer and tachometer have ‘cowls’ over them suggests that it is based on an X290 variant.

Earlier X290 Ducatos were plagued by the type of fault you mention and large numbers had their instrument-cluster replaced under warranty with no quibble from Fiat. Presumably your motorhome is now out of warranty, but - as the fault was so commonplace - I’m just curious about whether you approached the manufacturer of the base vehicle to ask about a ‘good will’ replacement cluster?

47643 - 2019-08-03 9:25 AM

hi,

it is an 2015 x290 with comfortmatic gearbox. fiat already tried to fix it. it failed again,

so just bit the bullett.

cartronix give lifetime guarantee

i also had the dials change at the same time

Could you give an indication of the cost please?

It sounds as though you removed the cluster yourself and sent it to Cartronix.

hi,

it takes less than 10 mins to remove the cluster. 4 screws and a plug.cartronix cost £150 + 12.95 for next day courier delivery. they give a lifetime guarantee.. the dials are 55 + 2.95 postage from lockwood international

47643 - 2019-08-03 9:25 AM

hi,

it is an 2015 x290 with comfortmatic gearbox. fiat already tried to fix it. it failed again,

so just bit the bullett.

cartronix give lifetime guarantee

i also had the dials change at the same time

I took delivery of my Rapido in April 2015 and, when the ignition-switch replacement recall was carried out a year later, I mentioned that warning lights on the instrument-cluster continued to glow faintly for a while after the ignition was switched off. The motorhome was booked in for the cluster to be replaced, by which time the cruise-control light was illuminating despite cruise-control not having been selected.

This type of problem was commonplace on earlier Ducato X290s and (as there was no alternative) Fiat authorised replacement of the faulty instrument-cluster on an exact like-for-like basis. Not surprisingly, the replacements often failed with similar symptoms and one unlucky motorhome owner reported having three cluster replacements in a matter of months. Eventually a cluster became available having a different Part Number (my Rapido was fitted with this) and this seemed to stop the rot.

I’m not sure what "fiat already tried to fix it” means, but my understanding is that no repair work was carried out if a cluster became faulty - the problematical cluster was just replaced with a new one. Clusters generally played up during the Ducato’s 2-year warranty period, when replacement was happily authorised by Fiat, but there was discussion at the time as to what Fiat’s attitude would be if an original cluster failed when the warranty had expired, or a ‘new Part Number’ cluster that had been installed under warranty failed in later years. As a new cluster is far from cheap (£800+) those questions were clearly of some concern.

Archived