ducato turbo

peter davies

Hi I have just joined and am finding my way around the forum I have a problem with my 2007 Ducato 2.3 engine code FIAEO481D on a campervan conversion the name Nick Fisher is mensioned in the threads i'v read so far hope he can help me,It all started with the eml on and with low mpg and low power and

code P 0402 EGR flow excessive, my local garage changed the egr valve but code still on so he had a man with a van to re train the cpu he found that the engine had no turbo boost on inspection they found that the clvis pin on the turbo wastgate operating arm had brocken off so the garage replaced the turbo with a recon the van was ok no codes mpg up and power back great but 100miles later a loud cushing noise from the tutbo area with loads of black smoke from exhuast with misfire no codes or eml AA recovered vehice back to garage turbo removed they found a crack in the housing around the area where the id numbers are stamped fitted another turbo(sent first one back under waranty, some hope) van runing creat now but I am not useing it as I don't want to risk another turbo utill I know what caused it to blow not sure i will get a true report back from the parts people any help/ views very much welcome.

Peter.

Hi Peter and welcome.

These engines are not known for eating turbos at all. Thought i had better tell you that from the beginning.

The people that diagnosed the fault on your original turbo should really have got it repaired if time was not critical because at least you knew the history of that unit and was a simple mechanical failure. Although a recon turbo should be fine, there are always the the unknowns such as previous mileage, integrity of the castings and the quality of the reconditioning but on the whole they tend to be just fine. I think you were very unlucky and the chances are that the one you have now should be perfectly ok and may even be your original unit if it came from the same supplier!

If your 2007 vehicle has not had a throttle body yet; it will almost certainly require one in the future, so keep an eye out for the typical symptoms.. much has been written on the subject on this site; not least by myself.

N

Hi many thanks for your prompt responce I'v not herd back from the turdo people who now have the cracked one yet (hoping for a refund) I will post the outcome when they do,in the meantime is thair any way i can test things light exhaust/cat system inlet system etc for blockages?

If I change the throttle body to the extra wire type where does the wire go? once again for your help

Thanks Peter

Don't worry about the 'extra wire'. You need to get the loom converter cable (many after-market kits come with this in the box, which is a good thing because Fiat ask a lot of money for it!). You just plug the vehicle loom into the converter and the other end goes onto the new throttle body. Very easy.

N

Hi Nick the turbo people have replied now with a refund for the turbo they say the seals had leaked but they say about 50% of turbo have boby cracks and are still servisable as in my case they say no air/oil is present where the crack was ? the plot thickens.new turbo ok so far.

thanks peter

Archived