ebay

Mrs J Johnson

Guest Mrs J Johnson
Advice sought. Has anyone purchased a rearview camera system or lcd monitor from ebay and if so what do you think of the quality. Have you seen the prices,are they too true to believe or is it just cheep rubish!

Guest CHRISTINE EVANS
Careful.....anything too cheap you can be caught out. The ones that are more realistically priced are usually the better ones to go for. My daughter uses ebay loads but for small items. I purchased something for my uncle by request as it was "dirt cheap" and ebay blocked it because of copyright. Never had his money back either as it was payed straight away. I am very, very careful but my uncle couldnt get on the net that day and persuaded me to get it otherwise I wouldn't have done it myself. Only lost £10 so lesson learned cheaply thank goodness.

I use E-Bay for some things quite happily but why bother with E-Bay when you can get them at the same sort of prices from GB internet shops, I got a good set up from here www.easy-vision.co.uk they are located in Suffolk and www.tgincar.co.uk do some interesting drop down ones too at very keen prices.

Guest Richard S
My daughter bought a digital camera on e-bay and was robbed of £150. Seller insisted on debit card rather than credit card,(so she couldn't get her money back) and then disappeared. She never received the camera or the £150 and she was 7 months pregnant at the time. E-bay didn't want to know and offered no redress.

Ebay is great so long as you don't go too mad and are careful! We use it a lot and have bought several larger items off it (GPS system, LCD monitor TV etc) but you have to do your homework and check out the history of people, that's what the feedback is there for, if it ain't good don't go near them with a barge pole. Never buy anything except with a credit card so at least you do have some come back, if they won't take it, then leave well alone. There are a lot of shops who use ebay as well as existing and 'real' entities ... ie you can also physically go to them. These are more secure than the 'internet only' shops but saying that I've no reason to doubt the vast majority of the shops on ebay, just do your checks as you would on any other ebay item. We've found some of the ebay sellers very user friendly indeed, for example when we bought a PC internal modem it came but didn't work even though we could clearly see it was brand new and still in it's original unopened packaging, the chap immediately sent another one out without question which arrived the next day, you don't get that service from 'normal' shops ... especially Comet! Just be careful and if in doubt, leave it. Some things are too good to be true so don't be greedy otherwise you could get stung!

Guest Ian Stewart
"Has anyone purchased a rearview camera system or lcd monitor from ebay and if so what do you think of the quality ?" Yes, I bought a camera and monitor kit a few weeks back from a company called "t.g.online" via e-bay. As they are local to me, I saw the system working before I paid any money, around £90 ! It's now fitted and working fine. Unfortunately they are "No longer registered with eBay". As always with e-bay, be careful who you deal with. Use the "feedback" feature to decide whether the vendor appears reliable and pay by Credit Card or PayPal.

Ref Ebay. I've bought many items from the US and UK. You must read the feedback, any that have poor reports are to be avoided like the plague. I found all the US were very good and genuine. The worst were in the UK! Bill

I agree with above re; checking feedback however it is worth actually opening the feedback and veiwing the items purchased as many fraudsters will create a 100% fedback history of 20 or more but when you look into their purchases they are often only for items of 99p etc so be careful! Regards Pat

Have also bought from the company t-g online, via E-Bay. Bought a camera and monitor package for £90 and it's terrific, hope they will come back on E-Bay for you.

On other thing about eBay - don't ever use the link off an email purporting to be from eBay, always go to the website via your internet browser putting in the correct address (www.ebay.co.uk). You don't normally get an email from eBay unless you're bidding on something, to confirm your bid, or such like, or to confirm if you're the winner. Even then, always go through your browser to 'My eBay'. If you use the links from these supposed 'eBay emails' you're asking for trouble - some of them are very difficult to tell from the real thing, if you can tell at all, but they direct you to a false eBay site which looks just the same, you then proceed to put in your eBay user name and password and hey presto next thing you know someone's hi-jacked your account etc and started to sell stuff in your name. What you're actually doing is entering your user ID and password on their web site which then gives them access to your real account, before you know it, you can't then get in. I know 'cause my husband accidentally fell for it!!! The first thing he knew about it was that he started to get emails asking him about some very cheap mobile phones he had for sale ... which he didn't!!! Just be careful but don't get paranoid.

Further to my posting last night, lo and behold I got a 'spam' eBay email this morning "EBAY INC - URGENT SECURITY NOTIFICATION" asking me to verify my eBay login info otherwise my account would be suspended, all I had to do was 'click on the link below' which would take me straight to eBay to log in. Not likely!!! The web page it was taking me to started with https://signin.ebay.com with along string after it, it is NOT a bonafide eBay web page.

Archived