electric cold boxes

Guest peter lambert

Guest peter lambert
Has anyone had any experience of using 240/12v electric cold boxes in a motorhome? We are going to France in September, and need more space than our fridge allows to store cold drinks etc (beer & wine!!!). We are thinking of buying an electric cold box, but need to know if they can be used continuously without burning out. We will have mains hook up, so battery drain shouldn't be a problem. Any advice, anyone?

Guest Roy Hamilton
If you look down on the forum a couple of days ago you will see my post about my 'fridge packing up whilst in France. Consequently while there I bought in a Carrefour one of these very things for 35.00 euros and it went constantly both on 230v and from the 12v socket while driving. It worked very well but as precaution I switched it off every now and again. I thought that the best idea would be to buy a time switch and, whilst on mains hook up set it to come on for say 3 hours and off for 1 just to give the poor wee motor a rest. I have not checked the price of these here but I'm sure like everything else it will be cheaper to buy it there. The model was their cheapest and was a Glaciere and has the name Mirabelle on the top. Good Travelling. Hope the weather improves by then!

Guest Clive
COOL BOXES work using the Peltier effect. The only moving bit is the fan that blows the heatsink inside. The rate of cooling effect is not very powerfull so they rely on very effective thermal insulation to make sure that no cooling is wasted. If you have a mains hookup then there is no reason that you should not leave one of these turned ON continuously. Use it for things that you don,t need to access every half an hour as it takes a fair time to recover to the lid being opened. Alternatively you could buy a mains fridge? Our cool box comes from Hella but we don,t use it in the motorhome as the Electrolux fridge has always given perfect service even under some very hot circumstances.

Guest Mike C
Hello Peter, I agree with Clive, you should be able to leave it turned on continuously without harm Purchased a 28 litre Cool Box from Halfords for £60 (special offer) 18 months ago and we have used it continuously in the car, for picnics, when shopping for frozen food and when towing the caravan and now also in the motorhome for extra refrigerated storage. It is 12v with a 240v to 12v mains adaptor. Halfords seem to offer this at a special price several times a year. Use a couple of ice packs to get the temperature down more quickly. Also usefull when de-icing the freezer. Regards, Mike C.

Archived