elidds motorhome

louisekay

Are someone at last i have a 115. Firstly have you had an problems with your van? We have had many . Secondly how do you deal with your lesiure battery, ie keeping it charged in winter.do you just relie on the automatic charger and just plug into mains ,how often? or do you do something else. Been trying trying to get an answer regarding charging and there are many views . Would be great to hear from a elddis owner

Ok our battery overheated dealer did some checks said it was a faulty battery. And not the charger, we will have ro wait and see.worring though as it may have caught fire or exploded. Other people say automatic chargers can be unreliable, and that leaving battery on charge may harm it long term.

I know what you mean, you do hear stories on line about batteries overheating, a few lately have been Elddis motorhomes too. I even met one elddis owner on a ferrry who had the fault. But the consensus is that 99% of the time it is the battery at fault.

I thought at first the charger would be at fault too but Mr aandncaravan with his vast experience of batteries coupled with my experience of electronics has made me think he's very probably right.

If it would make you sleep sounder you could fit an "optimate" charger. They are only capable of charging at 0.6 amps.... What's the worst that can happen? I might yet fit one myself.

louisekay - 2016-01-24 8:17 PM

Are someone at last i have a 115. Firstly have you had an problems with your van? We have had many . Secondly how do you deal with your lesiure battery, ie keeping it charged in winter.do you just relie on the automatic charger and just plug into mains ,how often? or do you do something else. Been trying trying to get an answer regarding charging and there are many views . Would be great to hear from a elddis owner

When your motorhome is ‘hibernating’ for an extended period, it’s to be expected (unless something has inadvertently been left switched on) that a leisure-battery will discharge very slowly.

Conversely, the motorhome’s starter-battery will normally be providing power continuously to the vehicle’s electronics (clock, immobiliser etc.) and - with motorhomes - quite likely an alarm system too.

So it should be anticipated that - when a motorhome is out of use - its starter-battery will be discharging faster than the leisure-battery.

When a motorhome is connected to a 230V mains power supply (like your house’s) and the motorhome’s on-board battery-charger is running, the vehicle’s leisure-battery will receive charge. So charge lost from the leisure-battery if a motorhome remains unused for weeks/months can be replaced by the battery-charger.

Some motorhomes have an electrical system where the on-board battery-charger can also maintain the charge-state of the vehicle’s starter-battery, replacing charge lost from that battery if the motorhome remains unused for an extended period.

But received wisdom (based on regular on-line motorhome-forum discussions) is that the standard electrical system fitted to Elddis motorhomes does NOT have the capability to use the on-board battery-charger to maintain the vehicle’s starter-battery.

It would be sensible for you to discuss this with your motorhome dealer, as there is the potential for you to end up with a fully-charged leisure-battery, but a starter-battery so discharged that it cannot start the vehicle.

(Various methods can be employed to maintain the starter-battery’s charge when an on-board charger is unable to do this, but best you talk to your dealer about this first.)

Hi Louise,

We have a new (picked it up in May 2015) 115 A sunseeker dealer special, we had a few very minor problems each taking about 20 minutes to fix, far less problems that what we had with our previous Auto-sleepers and a £15000.00 saving to boot.

We are not able to hook the van up as we live in a terraced house and park on the road, so I take the van for an hours drive once a fortnight if we don't go away and all seems well.

Very pleased with the van so far.

Pete

I have a majestic 135 picked it up new in march. Problems we had so far have been incorrect front table fitted. New correct one supplied 6 months later.seat bases in rear that make the bed up have rubbed through on the metal slides .bases have just gone in today for repair, been waiting since june to get them sorted. Instrument cluster warning lightsfor air bag and door ajar glow dim, new cluster fitted by Peugeot cured that. Auto watch alarm supplied with van was constantly going off was in marquis for 6 weeks they couldn't sort it . Sorted it my self found bonnet trigger switch was touching under side of soft sound proofing under bonnet. So when bonnet was shut switch wasnt releasing when sound proofing was squashed. We charge leisure battery ever 2 weeks. And van battery .

Ps forgot to mention fresh water gauge didnt read correctly found it had not been calibrated at pdi. Adjusted it my self by the grub srew on the printed ciruit working spot on now. Also found waste water pipe from shower was nit connected to drain on shower tray. All in all between elddis and marquis they have built and supplied an over priced poorly built motor home and been none to helpful to fix it , guess which manufacturer and supplier I won't be buying from again .

Yes our gauge is on the right has you enter motor home. To access gauge I removed the trim in the cupboard behind the gauge. Follow the Wires that come from the gauge to a small printed circuit board. On that board theres a small grub screw/ potentiometer, on level ground fill fresh water tank untill water comes out of over flow, then slightly adjust screw untill you see needle in gauge move, adjust it so its on the top segment of full. Then empty tank and adjust so its in bottom segment of empty. Will send you photo if you not sure of printed circuit.

rambo63 - 2016-01-26 10:46 PM

...We charge leisure battery ever 2 weeks. And van battery .

Presumably you charge the leisure-battery using your Elddis motorhome’s on-board battery-charger via a 230V hook-up, but how do you charge the starter-battery, please?

Do you use a separate charger, or does your Majestic 135 have the capability to charge the starter-battry using the motorhome’s on-board charger?

We use a ctek XS 3600, it came with a fly wire and fuse that bolted to battery just run wires under passenger seat, ctek charger just plugs in when we need to use it, using fly wire saves having to keep gaing access to battery every time we need to charge it.once battery charged up maintains battery voltage with out over charging.

Hi I have a 2012 Aspire 255, when on hook up the is a voltage sensitive link that will allow the engine battery to be charged at the same time as the leisure battery. Over time it will bring both batteries up to the same level. I have two 100 amp leisure batteries and solar panels, I have also fitted a battery master from Eddie at Van Bitz. Easy to fit only three wires, as soon as the engine battery becomes one volt lower than the leisure batteries it puts a one amp trickle charge in. Have had the van in a storage compound for three months no hook up, went to it yesterday both batteries fully charged started up straight away.

weldted - 2016-01-29 5:06 AM

Hi I have a 2012 Aspire 255, when on hook up the is a voltage sensitive link that will allow the engine battery to be charged at the same time as the leisure battery. Over time it will bring both batteries up to the same level...

The Elddis handbook for the 2012 Aspire range confirms your advice. When the Aspire’s on-board battery-charger operates to charge the leisure-battery, a charge (maximum 2 Amps) is also provided to the vehicle’s starter-battery.

But I beleve (otherwise I wouldn’t have mentioned it earlier) that Autoquest/Majestic models lack that capability and their on-board battery-charger only charges the leisure-battery. This seems to be ‘common knowledge’ amongst owners of those motorhomes and - if it were not so - there should be no need for rambo63 to resort to using a separate CTEK battery-charger to charge the starter-battery of his Elddis Majestic 135.

CTEK markets a range of accessories to facilitate battery charging

http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/accessories/

including ‘indicator’ connectors that show a battery’s charge-state. When I visited a Skoda agent last year I noticed that all their showroom vehicles had one of these poking out from under the bonnet.

Washed motormome today so checked oil ect, noticed coolant level was just above minium ,can't remember where it was when i last looked. done 500 miles since service.is this level ok?

Also back to lesiure battery have always turned master switch on when charging is this necessary?

Archived