engine chip upgrade

Guest Romy Debil

Guest Romy Debil
i am thinking to put a chip upgrade for my fiat ducato 2.o TD to improve the power and torque. Is it worth the £500 and is it that simple to fit (as the manufacturers Vanaaken say it is)?? thank you Romy

Guest Ralph Walsh
Hi Romy I had a plug in performance box fitted by Vanaaken to my Mercedes Sprinter large coachbuilt last year and it has totally changed the drive. Much more power on long hills, less changing down and overall about an extra 3 or 4 mpg. Its well worth the £500 (I believe that the 2L FIAT engine is claimed to be a little underpowered)however if a C&CC club member you will get a 10% discount. Regards Ralph

Guest Clive
Yes, its easy to fit or they will fit it for you. Don,t forget that legislation on new vehicles sets a much tighter emision requirement than that the levels set for the MOT. These "upgrades" certainly provide more power and torque but your engine won,t be quite so "green" as it was before. What decisions will you be making re informing your vehicle supplier should you have a warranty claim and your insurance company?

Guest Nick Miller
TB Turbo will''re map the chip in your Fiat 2ltr''for £400.00 inc VAT. They also recommend the fitting of an intercooler. Chip&Cool (them not me).. £950.00 They claim MOT would not be a problem but then you could, if convenient, have them MOT the vehicle. 2 ltr engine not an enormous problem for the dog and i in a Nuevo.The old boy just has to peddle harder on long slow hills.Might get it done after vehicle is out of warranty. www.tb-turbo.co.uk 01524 67157 Andrew Fletcher.Very helpful gentleman. NM

Guest Mel E
This counts as a significant change to the vehicle and, as such, you MUST inform your insurance company. If you don't do so, don't expect them to honour their side of the contract either! I strongly suggest checking with them BEFORE you spend any money - most motorhome insurance brokers are usually quite helpful.

Guest Don Madge
I had the Van AAken smart Box fitted to my Timberland in April. We've just completed a 4200 mile trip around the Iberian Peninsula and the van went very well. We normally cruise at about 90 KPH and with the cruise control set we found that we did not have to change down for the hills which we would have down before the box was fitted. I spoke to my insurers before the work went ahead and they were quite happy. The box was installed and road tested and demonstrated to us in under an hour. It takes about five minutes to remove the box, It's not difficult just a bit fiddly. We consider it money well spent. We use the van a lot (30,000 miles in two years) mainly on the continent. Regards Don

Guest Nick Miller
Whilst renewing my insurance with Saga i mentioned possibility of rechip and intercooler fitting. No extra premium involved but probably best to write and confirm any substantial modification to the vehicle.

Archived