estaing

Guest henry

hi, yet again the aa route planner says that it will take 8 hours 32 mins to go from Dunkerque to Estaing in the mid pyrenees. Having been 'had' by an enthusiastic 5 hours to Orleans is this a possible time or again enthusiastic! Also, is there anywhere in the France Passion book, (mine is in a very safe place)where we might stay midway? Regards Henry

AA Routeplaner assumes that you are travelling in a car and not a motorhome. It is always prudent to add on an extra time allowance to compensate for this.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Henry, I just know I'm going to regret this, but if you want to say fairly specifically where "midway" in your trip is likely to be I'll have a look in my FP booklet.

Cant help with timing but can assure you the site is excellent, even has a music room, pack favourite CDs. Attentive navigation needed to find route from Argeles-Gazost and after Bun there is a short tight bit, so best not to be too tired.

thanks for the info, I checked on Michelin route planner and it says 12 hours plus! we intend arrivng in France about 2am, driving on as far as possible with the intention of stopping about 12 mid day both drive and the dogs need 'comfort' stops every few hours. We hope to arrive at Pyrenees natura at 1600 the following day, but the best laid plans.....!!!! Thanks for your help Regards henry

Guest Brian Kirby
Henry Just had a "play" with autoroute. Using speeds trimmed for a motorhome, I get 14.5 hours using Autoroutes (quickest option) and 19.5 hours avoiding Autoroutes wherever possible. These are actual driving times, no allowances for toll stations, meals, natural breaks, missed turnings etc etc. Timings assume 100 kph cruising on Autoroutes, other roads correspondingly lower. If you keep your welly on the floor, you can beat these times, but not by much, and only by using quite a bit more fuel. Most arguments break out when tired, as do most accidents. Remember all commercial drivers are limited to 8 hours and, should the worst happen the police would be likely to look at where you had started your journey, and when, and where you had got to, and by when. I know you're not driving an HGV, but the principle is now well established that 8 hours is the max anyone should drive on the trot. The French police are, unfortunately, familiar with Brits having accidents at around 10am, having driven through the night from the port, and then getting sleepy as the sun begins to warm them up. This tends to figure in their accident reports, so liable to be reported back to insurers. If you have no option but to do the long haul, therefore, do take lots of breaks and run around a bit. Also helps to guard against DVT. Commercial coach drivers play games by driving 2 hours on 2 hours, off with the co-driver cat napping, so can squueze 16 hours continuous travel. However, you arrive knackered and for what it's worth I'd take the slow way, stopping en route and enjoying places along the way, and arrive cool, calm, and collected. However, you're you, and I'm me! All the very best Regards Brian

Hi Brian, Thanks for that. We hopefully wrong turns etc etc will take 2 days to drive down there. We shall drive past Paris and around the ring road gulp gulp and then look to rest for the remainder of the day. Setting of next day around 10.00 am and enjoying the stop of wherever. Best laid plans etc!! Thanks Henry

Archived