ffb Classic

Guest Tony

I'd be interested to hear from anyone owning a FFB Classic 1995 onwards. I've just bought a 1998 FFB Classic 580 model on a Fiat Tdi base. The blown air heating only blows out of two of the outlets with any force (near the door and in the bathroom) as the boiler is placed at the rear and perhaps too far from front and underseat outlets? Or do I have a blockage somewhere? The boiler has just been replaced with a new one as the old one was leaking.

Tony try shutting off the outlets at the back, if all is clear you should get a noticeable increase in pressure at the other two outlets. A drain rod used without too much pressure, to stop you bursting the pipes, should be able to move any blockage. You have not mentioned what type of heater it is if it is a Truma taking the front cover off gives you access to the blower inlet it may be worthwhile to ensure that there is no debris in this area also. Good luck Docted

Guest Tony Smith
It's a Truma boiler 6002 model and it's brand new.There is no extra puff to the other outlets if I block off the nearest 2 which blow ok, but the red light on the switch flashes, meaning, I imagine, that the boiler is overheating. A blockage in the blow tube perhaps?

Guest Derek Uzzell
Tony: It sounds like you haven't got Operating/Installation instructions for your heater, but, if you e-mail Truma(UK) (www.trumauk.com) they will be happy to send you a Combi leaflet. A red light showing constantly on a current Combi's control-panel indicates a 'total failure' due to insufficient gas-pressure, inability to ignite gas, overheating, etc. In such cases the heater will have performed a safety shut-down (red light illuminates) and won't function at all until switched off and then back on. This sequence will repeat indefinitely until the problem leading to the shut-down has been resolved. A flashing control-panel red light (approximately 1 flash per second) indicates that the operating voltage is too low. Either there is an electrical problem/inadequacy with your 'van's system (eg. thin cables leading to voltage drop) causing the low voltage or (more probably) your leisure-battery needs recharging. If the voltage to the heater is too low, this could easily be affecting blown-air output. Try putting the vehicle on 230V hook-up (with the on-board battery-charger switched on) and see if the light stops flashing and blown-air fan speed increases. There is a lot more to installing Combi heaters properly than most people (including motorhome converters!) appreciate. The unit should really be positioned near the centre of the vehicle so that air-trunks are of roughly the same length and heat is automatically distributed evenly. With a C6002, to prevent overheating, all 4 heater-exits MUST be connected to air-trunking and each trunk MUST have at least one outlet open at all times. It's definitely bad practice to close end-of-trunk outlets to adjust the distribution of hot air. If the heater is correctly installed with similar length trunks, hot air should distributed evenly with all outlets fully open. Do you understand how a C6002 is supposed to work? (I hesitate to ask this, but I have to.) When the appliance starts up in blown-air mode, it does so very gently using just a 2kW gas-burner setting. At this point air-flow from end-of-trunk outlets will be almost imperceptible and, if the interior temperature of the motorhome is not much above the setting that has been selected on the control-panel's thermostat-knob, will remain so. If the control-panel's thermostat-knob has been turned well up and the motorhome's interior is well below that temperature-selection, then the heater will successively choose a 4kW gas-burner setting followed by a 6kW burner setting, with the speed of the blown-air fan increasing to match. It will continue to go 'flat out' until the thermostat temperature has been reached when the heater will reduce output via a 6kW-4kW-2kW-stand-by sequence. At full blast a C6002 can move 287 cubic metres of air per hour, which will show itself as much more than a light breeze from the air outlets. Try turning the thermostat-knob to its maximum setting and waiting for 10 minutes, by which time the heater should have attained maximum oomph. If none of the above helps - you've got plenty of gas (preferably propane) and a fully-charged leisure-battery - and the thing still won't provide much hot air, then something's up, either with the installation or the heater. Do the obvious by ensuring that none of the air-trunks are blocked, seriously kinked or crushed. These heaters are re-circulatory, so make sure it can get air in so that it can blow air out (most motorhome converters blithely ignore this basic principle.) If you still have no luck, then ask whoever you got your FFB from for documentation relating to the new heater's installation. (This assumes you didn't get the vehicle from a UK dealer.) I believe Truma's warranty on new appliances is now 2 years, so your heater will still be well under guarantee. If you can't get this documentation, then I suggest you contact Truma(UK), providing Serial Number details of the heater and explaining your problem. My experience is that Truma(UK) is normally very sympathetic is approached sensibly and, if you need to have the heater inspected (and it's practical for you) I strongly suggest you take it to Truma(UK)'s service centre at Burton-upon-Trent.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Tony: The forum seems to be well endowed with "Tonys" at present and I'm a mite undecided whether you are Tony (Living in France) or some other Tony living who knows where. If you are French Tony, then the Truma(UK) references in my previous posting probably ain't going to help you much. Anyway, do your best! (Heh Ho - I must get Microsoft's 2005 software upgrade for my psychic hat.)

Guest FrenchTony
Thanks Derek. No-one has explained it to me like that before! Yes, I do have a manual, as a new boiler has just been installed under guarantee (the last one was leaking). In fact, the boiler on the FFB is placed right at the back of the vehicle and the hose length to reach the drop down front bed outlet is more than 14ft long, which could well be the main problem. I'll try what you suggested. Thanks again.

Tony 14 foot of trunk is not very far,my current van,22 ft long, has a Truma system fitted and the trunk goes up the full length of the van to feed outlets opposite the heater. While I do not want to fall out with Derek I would think that your heating system is not the C6002 but an earlier version. Have you checked the blown air fans behind the fire cover it may be one of them is not working properly. Good luck Docted

Whoops I've gone and done it this time. Sorry Derek just reread the post and I've made a mistake please forgive me Tony said himself that it was a C6002. I still feel however that my diagnosis still holds water and of course Tony the easy way to try is to put on the blower on cold air circulation only. Good Luck Docted

Guest Derek Uzzell
Docted: Truma's C-series units are pure heaters, so (unlike say a S-series 'fire' with a Trumavent fan) they have no cold air circulation facility - you can have hot blown-air and/or hot water and that's your lot. And 14 feet is a decidedly long trunking run for a Combi if the rest of the trunking-system is in any way 'unbalanced'. Truma's advertising leaflets depict Combi heaters with air-trunking running round leisure-vehicles' interiors like nests of snakes. I recall querying the viability of such systems with Truma(UK)'s then chief technician. "Of course they won't work," he said, "it's just BS-ing!"

Archived