gas regulator/Eurotunnel

rooster63

My daughter and husband recently travelled into France using Eurotunnel. On arriving at their first aire they found their gas wasn't working. Went to motor home repairer and were informed that the regulator had failed due to changing air pressures going through the tunnel. They have ordered new regulator, collected it yesterday and hope to fit it today. They converted the van themselves but had an external tank professionally fitted, not sure what brand.

Has anybody heard of anything like that happening? The gas was installed about 6 months ago and they have used it no problem in UK.

rooster63 - 2021-09-30 10:15 AM

My daughter and husband recently travelled into France using Eurotunnel. On arriving at their first aire they found their gas wasn't working. Went to motor home repairer and were informed that the regulator had failed due to changing air pressures going through the tunnel. They have ordered new regulator, collected it yesterday and hope to fit it today. They converted the van themselves but had an external tank professionally fitted, not sure what brand.

Has anybody heard of anything like that happening? The gas was installed about 6 months ago and they have used it no problem in UK.

we've been through the tunnel dozens of times, have had to switch off gas before loading, never had any problems, I think maybe the regulator was faulty and nothing to do with the changing air pressure in the tunnel

Assuming that the motorhome’s LPG tank’s outlet-valve had NOT been turned off before boarding Le Shuttle, there would be a considerable pressure (say 100psi) at the regulator’s inlet at around (say) 60F ambient temperature, and that pressure might rise to 140psi at 80F or fall to 70psi at 40F. So a regulator needs to tolerate quite significant pressure changes on its high-pressure (inlet) side.

I suppose there’s the possibility that diving through the Tunnel MIGHT have caused the regulator to fail - though there seems to be nothing online to suggest this might happen. Pressure changes are mentioned in this Wikipedia entry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_Tunnel

Trains travelling at high speed create piston effect pressure changes that can affect passenger comfort, ventilation systems, tunnel doors, fans and the structure of the trains, and which drag on the trains. Piston relief ducts of 2-metre (7 ft) diameter were chosen to solve the problem, with 4 ducts per kilometre to give close to optimum results. Unfortunately this design led to unacceptable lateral forces on the trains so a reduction in train speed was required and restrictors were installed in the ducts.

But, as people and animals don’t noticeably expand or shrink when travelling through the Tunnel, I would have thought a gas regulator should easily tolerate the Tunnel’s pressure variations.

It would be interesting to know what explanation for the regulator’s failure the French motorhome repairer would have suggested if they had not known that Eurotunnel had been used (or had been told that the motorhome had travelled on a ferry).

• 2 weeks later...
teccer1234 - 2021-09-30 10:45 AM

we've been through the tunnel dozens of times, have had to switch off gas before loading, never had any problems, I think maybe the regulator was faulty and nothing to do with the changing air pressure in the tunnel

Yep I would second that. Done it loads of time yearly and having to turn the pressure off I fail to see how any air pressure variation could occur. That is the purpose of isolating the system by closing the stopcock. Faulty regulator would in my opinion be the most likely cause.

aandy - 2021-10-10 12:02 PM

I may be missing something, but as neither side of the regulator is open to the atmosphere I can't see how changes in pressure could have any effect.

The regulators are exposed to the atmosphere via a vent to the opposite side of the diaphragm, as the 30mb controlled pressure is refenced to the prevailing atmospheric pressure. [ Edit: it has to be as barometric pressure ranges from below 900 to over 1000 mb]

However, I have no confidence at all in the operative's diagnosis of the failure cause.

In the old days it was virtually unheard of for a gas bottle fitted regulator to fail, then along came progress with the bulkhead mounted regulator and lots of failures followed, some for good reason where the regulator was incorrectly fitted but far too many for no known reason.

Whether the early days failures have been reduced by improved design I know not but reguator failure was always one of the joys of touring and we learnt the wisdom of carrying a spare regulator.

We too used the tunnel a few times without regulator issues and I suspect it may be coincidental rather than causative? We too learnt to suspect coincidence but it would need to happen twice to confirm?

I would replace the regulator and carry on but with the back up of carrying a spare regulator?

aandy - 2021-10-10 12:02 PM

I may be missing something, but as neither side of the regulator is open to the atmosphere I can't see how changes in pressure could have any effect.

The low pressure side is open to atmosphere, if sealed then there would be compressible air contained in

a small volume, this would be subject to temperature change and we're all aware of Boyles Law aren't we.

Anyway this variance in pressure would I suggest upset the spring setting sensitivity which would affect the

pressure and flow rate.

Most of these flammable gas regulators are sealed, and rightly so. I've angle grinder cut open a couple just

to see why they had failed, the spring had corroded/weakened, or the diaphragm had split, I seem to recall. The

regulators used with inert welding gasses (argon C02 can be dismantled I have found, which allowed polishing

up of the valve seating to cure a small leak. Mind you this was all years ago, and I wasn't a Corgi gasman !

Archived