gear linkage problems below frezzing

Guest brian lawrence

Guest brian lawrence
This a new one on me! I recently brought a swift suntor 630L on a fiat ducato base with a 2.8JTD engine.8k on the clock,runs very well.However,when the temperature drops below freezing,I am only able to select 1 or 2 gears (usually 1st & 2nd) as the linkage appears to be frozen solid.On the last occassion this happened I could only get 3rd & 4th.i.e. any 2 gears providing they are up & down the box,not across.After say 5 minutes with the engine running when presumably some heat has reached the offending problem ,the remaining gears slowly return & I can continue my journey with no further problems.I've had this happen 4 times now on each time we had suffered a heavy frost & the outside temperature was well below zero.Can gearbox oil freeze ? surely not.If i attempt to select another gear across the box there is no "spongy" resistance it is solid resistance.It just wont go .Any ideas ?

Guest Derek Uzzell
I doubt that this has anything to do with the oil in the gearbox - I think it's more likely (as you suggest) to involve the external gear linkage. Perhaps water is pooling around the selector mechanism where the operating cables meet the gearbox, or water has managed to enter the cables themselves. Another possibility might be that a critical part has been manufactured slightly undersized and is contracting when cold causing the 'sticktion'. Never heard of this before (at least not on Ducatos). If no-one else can come up with a definite explanation, it would be worth you seeking advice from MMM's "Interchange".

Guest Dave Newell
Hi Brian, for what it's worth I would say the most likely cause will be moisture in the lateral movement cable freezing it solid. On Ducatos the lateral movement cable operates in a reverse manner to usual in that the inner cable goes to a fixed point on the box and the outer cable is connected to the moveable linkage. As Derek says it is just possible that a joint which should slide is contracting and binding up. Your best bet is to call out your rescue service the next time it happens and don't run the engine till he's been and at least diagnosed the fault. Dave.

Archived