german autobahn stopovers

tebbutt

[QUOTE]tebbutt - 2006-07-12 2:51 PM can you stay overnight at any autobahn service station?[/QUOTE]

However, do be aware of the greater security risks associated with all motorway service area overnight stops.  It is from these that the thefts and claimed gas attacks are most commonly reported.

[QUOTE]johnsandywhite - 2006-07-12 6:36 PM 8-) I haven't heard of any from Germany? France and Spain, yes. 8-)[/QUOTE]

That's because they generally don't happen to Brits in Germany.  However, they are reported from virtually all over Europe along the main holiday route motorways.  The German autobahns mainly attract the Germans, Danes, Swedes, Norwegians and Dutch heading for Italy. 

Doesn't mean there are no attacks, it's just that they generally get reported only in the vistim's home countries.  Just like Brits coming home and reporting attacks on them in France and Spain, 'cos that is where they mainly head for.

Beware night stops on all m'ways!

We heard of a story where several Motorhomes were broken into at a German autobahn service station. The rumor was they had a fiat master key as they were opening the cab doors. When I was in prison (as an instructor) I had an inmate make me a key the details are not publishable, but it was amazing and could open just about any flat lock in less than 20 seconds, with a bit of practice. We strongly recommend you don't use service stations as stopovers and quite frankly you just don't need to there are always camper stops just a few kilometers off the main routes. Enjoy Your Motorhoming

Archived