help - no fixed address

Pat P

When we were thinking of relocating to Spain we contacted Barclays and they advised opening an offshore account. It was to be in the Isle of Man. We could then transfer money anywhere we needed to.

There is a new - about 18 months I think - EU Directive (what else!) that says banks have to get address details of anyone for whom they open an account, which must be proved by a recent utility account or similar. They generally don't hassle existing customers, though NatWest did make a half-hearted attempt to get me to prove my address - after they had been sending statements there for 30 years! If you already have an acount at a bank they will generally open a new one without hassle, but all this precludes you from taking your business elsewhere if you are fed up with them. Also from so-called "interest-rate promiscuity", i.e. moving your money around to take advantage of where the highest interest rates are being offered.

I have been informed - By a bank manager friend - That they are under pressure from higher authourities to vet ALL new customers and eventually ALL customers To prevent money laundering and to look for possible terrorist held accounts

• 2 weeks later...
I went into Banco Santander in Menorca with my passport and 10 minutes later I had an account and gave my UK contact address. Credit card and bank statement book followed in about 10 days. This was in 2004

Archived