help req with set up on new 7"xgody sat nav

fesspark

Having a problem setting up,when completing set up warning comes on,Global config; not found? and when I go to navigation it comes up,Application failed to start last time,do you want to reset Factory defaults,and loose your POI s,Tracks and settings.do not know what to do now ?Help Required please, Fesspark.

I'm a bit loth to comment on support for these units as, as I have stated on here before, I believe the software supplied to be a pirated version of IGO, and as such, people buy at their own peril.

The global config file is a regularly updated key component of the software, should have been delivered in the base configuration, and is a "zipped" file called global_cfg.zip contained in a global-cfg folder in the content folder.

There are (nefarious) ways and means of obtaining such a file, but it would still need to match your (ostensibly) pirated version of software. If it is not available to you, then there are grave doubts about the remainder of the configuration.

Send it back!

Thanks Robin,?I have packed it up to return and ordered a more expensive one so hopeing they refund me, Have threatened them with Trading Standards?,I new the Forest well as I lived in Leicestershire

for the first 42 year of my life except for a stint in the forces. Fesspark

I bought one of these XGODY 7 inch satnavsand it did work - but it was a fiddly thing to use and not a patch on my Garmin 770 Camper so I have kept it in the MH purely as a spare.  They are cheap but they are obviously not very good!

I have no hope for updating the XGODY's maps or anything, I'll just use it as a last resort.

I hesitate to challenge the wisdom of buying electronic devices that combine (apparently) huge functionality with an ultra-enticing low price, but - as the saying goes - if something appears to be too good to be true, it probably is.

On July 1 2018 country-wide changes occurred in France regarding road speed limits. Both Garmin and TomTom had prepared for this and mapping revisions were available to reflect those changes. Certainly, for Garmin sat-navs with free lifetime updating, software and mapping revisions are user-friendly and straightforward to apply. Is that the case with new XGODY sat-navs, and can older ones be suitably updated?

Personally, I’d be very wary of a sat-nav with a super-sophisticated specification at a bargain-basement price. I’d much rather have a less glitzy sat-nav (that might be more expensive) that I could be reasonably confident would be reliable, where software/mapping updating should not be problematical, and where the device’s manufacturer had a good reputation.

The official IGO software, in its various forms, is fine, Derek. (IMO, the best experience I've had with Satnavs). It constitutes the underlying capability for a number of aftermarket built-in suppliers (e.g. Clarion, Alpine and Pioneer), and also a number of OE devices (Mazda, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, etc.) depending on market.

Official device map updating is easy, though new map versions aren't supplied quite as often as some devices.

One of its strengths is that it can be tailored (skinned) to a large number of different devices, appearing very different in design from one device to another - the underlying "engine" remains the same however.

It is this latter capability that lends itself to pirating for a host of unofficial platforms. A pirated/cracked configuration is chosen that closely (sometimes not!) matches the target device, a little bit of configuration is done, and then the unit is shipped with whatever "cracked" maps etc. can be located on the web (the nature of the "cracking" has to match between the maps and the software).

The purchase price reflects the fact that the content is installed "cost free" and that there is no ongoing official support.

Further updates are then dependent on later, compatible, cracked maps being made available somewhere (they will never be downloadable from the official site), and there is little, if any, ongoing support.

Frankly, if you aren't worried about the pirating, and are reasonably computer "savvy" it isn't difficult to locate the appropriate software on the web and keep everything going. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, however, particularly as I dislike pirating.

Archived